UPDATED: Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2 + Much More Found on Valve Project Tracker

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Update 2:
We've put together a list of the names of 791 "projects" that were found in this database. You can view it on Pastebin now.

Update 1:
We have recently been sent a copy of the original Jira archive data, which has provided unprecedented access to the entire project tracker. Other listings in the data files for known and unknown projects include "Stars of Blood", "Return to Ravenholm", "Episode 3"/"Episode 3 Movie", "Hardware" / "Hardware Core", "SteamMMO" / "SteamMMO Core" and "F-Stop". A series of joke groups can also be found in the list, including "WUBWUBWUB...", "yo dawg", "gayben" and many more. "Steam Box" is also listed as an official group, showing that Valve's upcoming pre-build PC is still in development, which actually retains the fan created name internally, but whether or not this will feature as the product's final name remains to be seen. On a related note, Xi3's "Piston" is also referenced as "Piston Test" in the files, which most likely relates to some kind of Source Box related development back when Xi3 and Valve were briefly partnered. Unfortunately, the saved HTML file we have been provided is only a local file, and only gives access to a partially complete list of Half-Life 3 developers as previously shown in our original post. Credit to Testinglol & friends for their hard work rebuilding cached files!

Projects-FStop.png ProjectsSteamBox.png

However, we now have access to the entire list of project groups from within Valve, giving us a clear insight of what exactly is and isn't being worked on within the company's walls. Just remember a lot of the projects we've posted here have already been cancelled years ago. Click any of the links provided in the previous paragraph for a screenshot of the group as listed in the Jira archive.

We have also recently received some more information about the contents of several of the project groups and, while we cannot check the Jira archive to verify the contents, we have no reason to doubt our source. According to our anonymous source, the main Left 4 Dead 3 group contains around 68 people, while one of the subgroup contains "about 40". The total number of employees contributing to the Left 4 Dead 3 project groups combines to make it Valve's third largest project, showing that the game is or was in full development. A set of never-before-seen projects, titled "Cries Unheard" and "Microbe Wars" have also been uncovered, which both only consist of a few select designers. Our source also informs us that the previously unearthed "The Grange" project is most likely nothing at all, as the project group only consisted of a single person.

A series of non-Valve titles also appear in the list including Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Company of Heroes and more, all of which are most likely used for recreational time to organise game play sessions between members of the company. We'll be sure to keep you up to date with more information as we learn more.

Original Post:
Evidence of several internal projects at Valve including Half-life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2 and many others have been discovered from a mailing list found within project management and bug tracking software, Jira.

Valve were recently forced to react to an issue with Jira. A metaphorical window was left open which allowed people to publicly access Valve's internal tickets. Valve were quick to shut down public access to their Jira database, so we recommend you don't attempt to access it.

The images submitted to us from an anonymous source show several mailing list groups of interest, although we do not have the full list at this stage. The first image shows the mailing group for "Half-life 3" including 42 employees in this cabal, which we believe to be quite a significant number, given Valve employ approximately 300~ individuals. The names of individuals in this cabal are from various development disciplines, many of which you're likely to recognise.
HL3-1.png HL3-2.png

The second image includes the part of the second page for the Half-life 3 group, including ex-valve composer, Kelly Bailey. We hypothesise these mailing lists aren't updated when employees leave, only their mailboxes are suspended. We do however know this list is current, as Paul Pepera, who also appears on the list, only joined Valve in March 2013 after leaving Halo and Destiny game creators Bungie.

The image also shows several "Left 4 Dead 3" mailing lists. We don't know who are in these cabals but, based on these images, we can estimate games further in the development pipeline have multiple mailing lists, suggesting Left 4 Dead 3 is potentially in active development. Unfortunately, Half-life 3 only had one group suggesting it's either inactive or in developmental infancy.

The third image shows several Source 2 groups. Source 2's development is no secret, however the number of groups suggest the engine is very deep into development, which comes as no surprise. The fourth and final image, shown below, highlights several other groups including the curiously named "The Grange". Unfortunately we have no other information regarding this mystery group/project, and whether or not it is still active remains to be seen.

Throughout the images you will notice some groups for extra-curricular activities or clubs / societies which are used by Valve employees. Some of these are very obscure, but known by our researchers (part of the job description here at ValveTime!) which has allowed us to verify these images are legitimate and are most definitely taken from the Valve Jira database.

HL3-3.pngHL3-4.png

We'd be interested in hearing from you if you have any further details. Please also note, access to Valve's Jira no longer exists, so again, please do not attempt to gain access.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 28,747
  • ProjectsEpisode3.png
    ProjectsEpisode3.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 16,068
  • ProjectsGayben.png
    ProjectsGayben.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 17,397
  • ProjectsRavenholm.png
    ProjectsRavenholm.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 12,851
  • ProjectsSOB.png
    ProjectsSOB.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 12,020
  • ProjectsWUB.png
    ProjectsWUB.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 14,136
  • ProjectsYoDawg.png
    ProjectsYoDawg.png
    12 KB · Views: 11,963
  • ProjectsHardware.png
    ProjectsHardware.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 10,320
  • ProjectsCriesUnheard.png
    ProjectsCriesUnheard.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 9,861
  • ProjectsGrange.png
    ProjectsGrange.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 10,921
  • ProjectsMicrobeWars.png
    ProjectsMicrobeWars.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 9,375
  • ProjectsSteamMMO.png
    ProjectsSteamMMO.png
    8 KB · Views: 10,797
  • ProjectsSourceU.png
    ProjectsSourceU.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 6,715
  • ProjectsPiston.png
    ProjectsPiston.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 9,442
Well, we all knew that Half-Life 3 and Source 2 have been in development for quite a while, but Left 4 Dead 3 is quite a surprise. I remember some news about L4D3 a while back but thought it was... I don't know what I thought. Can't wait to see what Valve has actually been making, other than just seeing the names of the projects.

Here we go...Let the games of speculation BEGIN!
2014 will be the year that valve talks HL3. My speculation.
Continue plz.

Here we go...Let the games of speculation BEGIN!
2014 will be the year that valve talks HL3. My speculation.
Continue plz.
I can say you are pretty accurate however l4d3 will probably come out before hl3

I feel like the next-gen consoles, Source 2 and L4D3 all synergise nicely into one package making that the next title on the horizon. Where Source 2 is in development is anyone's guess, the amount of groups makes me hopeful it's not a million miles away.

L4D3 can easily have an incorporated in game store. I think we will see customizable survivors. Honestly as much as I would kill several men for Half Life3, L4D3 is a much better initial release game.

No worry about catching up on story, multiplayer is a big obvious need for a launch title, and easy in games store that Valve would barely have to create content for.

Half Life 3 is farther in development then we think I did a cached version of Valve's Jira and just yesterday someone reported a graphical bug with Half Life 3.

It was a fake bug report.

There is a chance that Half-Life 3 development is compartmented apart from the others.

And when the hell did we stop typing the dash?

Yeah I think we'll see another game(s) before HL3. But I think 2014-15 will be Valve's time ;).

Is Lansweeper anything like Minesweeper?

Also, who woulda thunk LA Fitness would be in the inner circle of HL3 development? Maybe Gordon will be tasked with setting up gyms on the Combine homeworld...

Nifty!

Old developers that have left and new hires are on the HL3 list. Confirms what Gabe said about them always working on the game, IMO. Just a matter of time before they nail it down.

O,o All the informations!
Bask in their glory. Cries Unheard sounds awesome.

i am keeping far away from HL3 rumors until the game is actually installed in my steam library. so sick and tired of getting my hopes up.

every time HL3 rumors surface, i find myself yelling this at my monitor:

Look at how they all come out of the woodwork. This is really nothing.

wait for the new version of glasses from John Carmack ... if the price of their manufacture high as last year..

"Steam Box" is also listed as an official group, showing that Valve's upcoming pre-build PC is still in development, which actually retains the fan created name internally

Strange that you're focusing on the "Steam Box" entry when we already know that the internal name for their hardware project is "BigFoot" and there's a mailing list for "BigFootDev".

It's worth clarifying the database allowed public submissions of bug tickets before Valve shut it down. So you can ignore anything the tickets say. The post above focuses entirely on what cannot be changed or submitted by third parties - the email distribution lists.

You say HL3 only has one mailing list. But what if Yo Dawg is a reference to Dog in HL, would that count as Two mailing lists? Also HL3 development would be tied to Source 2 development, so you could increase mailing lists from there.

Also given the text is bold I'm assuming ATHENA is a code name for a project, might want to add that to your roster

Also Character/Weapon design cabals will be significant internally

Stars of Blood was cancelled, but I wonder if RedShirt is a project name of a spinoff

You say HL3 only has one mailing list. But what if Yo Dawg is a reference to Dog in HL, would that count as Two mailing lists? Also HL3 development would be tied to Source 2 development, so you could increase mailing lists from there.

zZx3sPG.jpg

DEATH eVADER - your point about Hl3 and Source 2 groups is entirely valid. HL3 could be built into that, which would make the cabal size around 100 rather than 42. Leveraged said other groups to consider are: "Source2 Characters" and "Source2 Minidumps"

I can't believe "Gay Ben" is an inside joke with VALVe. I've always felt kinda bad (and kinda good too) about making that joke.

So less than 15% of Valve is working on Half-Life 3.

Almost double are working on both Dota 2, a game which has been basically finished for years, and on Left 4 Dead 3 which was previously just a cynical joke.

How is this not awful news? It just tells me that Valve are not taking HL3 seriously whatsoever. It's like an embarrassing side project they feel obliged to keep going so they can still pretend to us that something's happening.

Just remember how mad people were when they announced Left 4 Dead 2. The original Left 4 Dead, after Episode 2, was fine... they were free to experiment with cool new things whilst chugging away at Episode 3. But Left 4 Dead 2 seemed bizarre and pointless given that the first game had only just come out and they were supposed to be working on Episode 3.

Since then they've announced and completed two major titles (Portal 2 and Dota 2), along with CS:GO. And now they're focusing their attention on another Left 4 Dead??? I think it's amazing. A complete slap in the face to everybody. I don't see why everyone's so excited about it.

Guys... don't you feel like you're crossing a line here?

I mean, this is a big breach of Valve's privacy. You guys helped GabeN track down the guy who stole and leaked the HL2 beta ten years ago, now you're letting everyone know what Valve's been doing. Admittedly, there's not much here we didn't know about, but this is their internal database. I realize you're just reporting on it, but it's bound to be illegal somehow - and even if it's not, it's immoral, at least in my book.

I'm just saying, I don't really think this sort of thing should come out. I don't know, maybe I'll be banned for being a voice of dissent, but take note that I'm saying this in a friendly tone as my personal opinion. These leaks have been escalating too much, from the HL2:Ep3 concept art - which was relatively minor - to now uncovering every single project they work on. It's not really fair to Valve.

I dunno, just food for thought. I'm nobody, so it's not like I'm attacking you guys - I just don't feel like it's right.

Back