128 or 256

Hudson

Reaction score
im going to be buying a 9800 before HL2 comes out, and im wondering if the 256 is actually worth the extra cash, i want to run the game on 1600X1200 with all settings on high.

get 128, save your money for pci express cards and motherboard.

lol jhero your always the first to reply to my threads, ive got a brand new spankin PC so im not going to be upgrading it for a while, and whats a pci express card?

Isn't PCI express the new slot technology that will be something upwards of 10 times faster than AGP? I don't know all the statistics. :)

Theres a thread about it on these forums somewhere, but I wouldn't worry right now because it doesn't come out until 2004.

If you choice the 9800 I will go for the 128 mb.

1) it saves you money
2) 256mb won't have that higher performance. Only if you want to play the game with 4x anti-aliasing and filtering with an exteme high resolution. like 1600 x 1200
3) the 128 mb version is better o/c then the 256mb version do.

Hudson: I like helping people :p but not serving them.

errr alright, not really sure where that came from but ok

Dont mind me, it's just that i help people so much its not funny...

Just as righte0us said, the 256Mb one would be better in the long run, and what i've heard it will give an performance bost in hl2.

No game at this moment is taking advantage with that 256mb version. even not doom3 and hl2. tomshardware.com already said so.

facts don't lie

Originally posted by sharp
No game at this moment is taking advantage with that 256mb version. even not doom3 and hl2. tomshardware.com already said so.

facts don't lie

I read a question that somebody had sent to gabe and he said that u would get a performance boost with 256mb instead of 128mb.

But probably it's not any big diference.

well not that i trust toms hardware, buti do think you should get the 128.

i have a perfect plan laid out for my new system....I already know what im getting, and what ill be upgrading to in like 2 years.

im going to start out with a abit kd7 motherboard and athlon xp 2800+ (or 3000+ if i get mo money) im getting 1024 ddr pc 2700 ram. im grabing a 9800 pro 128. the motherboard i said im getting is not brand new, but its on of the best and most relaible athlon mobos to get. since it is not new though, i will be saving from the time i get my system in september to when i upgrade, like 2 years. by then ill have tons of cash and ill be able to buy the best crap and whatnot. though im not going to buy the top boards, like nforce2 chips and stuff because considering the other parts in my system i dont need to. hehe im almost positive my system will own with hl2 performance and fps wise.

im gonna get the 256mb one so i wont have to buy one for a long while

i wouldnt buy a 256 unless i was rich(im not, i have a $720 rig, and im mad i spent so much on it). anyways, get a 9800 non-pro is what i would get at this point. gl with what ever you get.

I heard that Half-Life² will take advantage of cards with 256MB... and I heard this after buying the 128MB version.:rolleyes:

yeah i heard that too, ive just decided on buying whatever i have enough money for within 2 weeks of HL2s release (before or after).

Back