2.8 gig proc + Radeon 9800 = Medium Textures?

archvilell

Reaction score
I have a 2.8 gig processor with a Radeon 9800 128meg video card and 512 meg of RAM, and I went to the Options screen and the default settings were all at Medium. I know that HL2 naturally works better on ATis, but why doesn't it work on mine?

I went ahead and changed the textures, and the machine was really laggy. This was on single player HL2 and not CS:S.

Think yourself lucky i have a 2.4GHz and 9800PRO and i get low textures!!!

It's probably medium/low because of your RAM. I run fine with 2ghz proc and 9700 Pro on high settings, I just turn a couple other things down like shadows(you never notice) and leave AA off. AA will KILL performance.

Mine defaulted to medium too, but it runs great with high textures and AA and AF... the latter two didn't do much to performance but did make it look a lot better.

I tried it on Medium textures... didn't like it. Half Life 2 should have better textures than Halo 2.

archvilell said:
I have a 2.8 gig processor with a Radeon 9800 128meg video card and 512 meg of RAM, and I went to the Options screen and the default settings were all at Medium. I know that HL2 naturally works better on ATis, but why doesn't it work on mine?

I went ahead and changed the textures, and the machine was really laggy. This was on single player HL2 and not CS:S.
Mmmm, strange that. I've got a Radeon 9800 128Mb Pro with 1GbRam and Athlon 2Ghz. I did have 768 Ram when I started playing HL2, my default settings were all on high and with no AA or AF. Game play is brilliant.

I have 256mb ram. P4 1.5ghz. Radeon 7500 32mb. and i play everything with no textures and a lot of lag. archvilell you should be running the game just fine. But what directx do you have? That might make a difference, i dunno

I have 2.8 GHz pIV, R9800 128Mb and 1 gig of ram, and by default everything was set to high.
then I changed water reflections to ALL and pumped filtering to 8xAF. no AA tho, cuz it would kill my gameplay. I play on 1152x864 and everything is smooth as warm butter.
it look like your ram is a bottleneck here unfortunately...

noooo, so that means my 9600XT will default high as well if i got 1 gb+ ram ?

sjinadasa said:
sorry man, doesnt work backwards :p

I have an XP2500, 512mb ram, and a Radeon 9600 non-pro version and it defaulted to medium settings. I can run on high settings@1024-768 pretty good though.....

I've got a 9800Pro 128Mb, 1 gig of ram and a 2.8ht system and everything is on the highest setting for me. Just put everything on High, archvilell, your comp should be able to handle it.

U need to get rid of your crappy Radeon and get a Performance Games Graphics Card like the FX 6.

My FX6 runs everything at MAX and 1600 x 1200, and that is only a 128mb card!!!!!

I read all the posts and it looks to me (judging by others' computer setups) that my RAM, or lack therefore, is the bottleneck. I'll see what I can do about that. It doesn't look too bad right now, but if it was all on High, then it'd just be that much better.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Lol, my system is 1.8 Ghz and old Geforce 4200ti (128mb) and 512 ram...
And iam playing with no lag in high textures.
Actualy iam playing in all high setting with 4x AA...

water reflect world, textures & model high, aa 2, af 4,1024/768,shadows high, shader low. average fps 47, max low 70's, never below 28.

p4 3ghz
512 3200
9600xt 256
audigy 2 zs
asus p4s800
160gb sata

sjinadasa said:

id say so i got 9600tx 1.6ghz pentium 4 , 1.25gb rdram and its on high 54fps 1024x768

TheMtR said:
Lol, my system is 1.8 Ghz and old Geforce 4200ti (128mb) and 512 ram...
And iam playing with no lag in high textures.
Actualy iam playing in all high setting with 4x AA...

that cause you on direct x8!! not 9

I ahve roughly the same specs.

P4 2.8
Radeon9800 PRO
1GB RAM

Does wonders the RAM :p i can run everyhting on high setting, except water reflections where it on relfects some.

Hercules.. I have the same card.. got it to work with this!

Hercules331 said:
I have 256mb ram. P4 1.5ghz. Radeon 7500 32mb. and i play everything with no textures and a lot of lag. archvilell you should be running the game just fine. But what directx do you have? That might make a difference, i dunno

Hercules,

I have the same video card on my Dell laptop. I was frustrated, too. I fixed it by going to the following link:

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

I downloaded this program called the DH Mod tool V2.1. This allows the ATI catalyst to be installed on your system. I don't know much about this stuff.. but it worked for me. Just select your card from the drop-down list when you run the program. Please let me know if it works for you. :thumbs:

I figured out what was wrong with it. I didn't have enough RAM. Just as an update, I had a

2.8gig proc Intel Pentium IV
Radeon 98000 128meg video card
512 of RAM

I bought two 512 sticks (they were on sale) so now I have 1.5 gigs. It runs super. Now I think the slowest part is the video memory.

It also helped fix a problem I had with Hammer. It would lose all the file directories and models and everything. It wouldn't let me save, Winamp would stop, AIM would log off, etc. Hammer was using so much memory that my computer was disk caching (using hard drive as memory) to the point of collapse. So when it collapsed, I had to stop all my programs and run them again. Now with a gig and a half, it doesn't do that.

2.3ghz Pentium
768 mb RAM
Radeon 9800 PRO barely OCed from 374mhz to 398.

I play on 1600x1200, everything on High, water on reflect world, no AA. I also enable vertical sync because I'm very sensitive to screen tearing and it annoys me more than anything. The only times it gets choppy is when theres A LOT of action, like some of the later boards, then I turn it down to 1280x1024 or whatever it is.

Perhaps a fresh install of Windows would help you guys having trouble. That always helps.
-What might actually help me run everything this fast is last time I formatted everything and reinstalled windows, I put the virtual memory cache at the beginning of my second hard drive. Supposedly this allows much faster access, in fact, I don't have anything on that second drive at this time, except my virtual memory cache. Even if you dont want to format, just upping the size of your virtual memory can help tons.
-I also have my AGP memory cache at 64, although a lot of people recommended going higher for what I have.. they said up it to 128 or even 256, I found it to be fastest at 64.

Hope these tips helped!

put the virtual memory cache at the beginning of my second hard drive

How is it done? How exactly do you put virtual memory at the the beginning of the hard drive during formatting?

Has alot to do with ram, but ignore.

PSSSSSST, Valve... game performance doesn't rely solely on ram... :rolleyes:

NJspeed: Nice try, but BULLLLLLLSHIT

My rig dips to below 28fps often enough, and it isn't OS or hardware problems.

I have 2.8GHz P4, 1 Gig of PC3200 RAM and 9800 pro at stock

1280x1024 all on high, water on simple reflections is the only way to stay above 30 fps thru the whole game

No way to get decent fps 1600x1200 high on 9800 pro, I dont believe it...inside buildings and w/o any action maybe

ManHacks said:
sorry man, doesnt work backwards :p

Don't be so sure! I have 1GB+ of RAM and a 9600XT 256MB, and it defaults me to High textures.

sjinadasa said:

i have a AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ @ 2GHz, ATI RADEON 9600XT, and 1Gb of RAM, and my half life 2 default settings are:

mode detail: high
antialiasing mode: none
texture detail: high
filtering mode: trilinear
water detail: reflect world
shader detail: high
shadow detail: high
wait for vertical sync: disabled

hope this helps :E

archvilell said:

something to do with the memory as i got a system 1.25gb ram 9600tx 128mb, 1.6ghz and system picks high all round.
the other system 512mb 9800xt256mb 2.6ghz it picks medium .

Hmm, I have an AMD 2400+, 512 RAM, and a 6600gt and it defaults to medium, and I really don't get great FPS (20-50) in HL2 but in Doom 3 I get no lag on high settings.

Back