Accessing steams cache directly

J

jedipimp007

Ok in the emails from valve section someone asked gabe what he thought of people directly accessing steams cache to get unreleased movies, question is (insert noob joke here) how do you go about doing that?Ok even if its not to get unreleased movies cause the media browser hangs on my system so a workaround would be nice,
PS. and no smart arse get a packet sniffer and figure it out yourself reply plz ;)

Originally posted by jedipimp007
Ok in the emails from valve section someone asked gabe what he thought of people directly accessing steams cache to get unreleased movies, question is (insert noob joke here) how do you go about doing that?Ok even if its not to get unreleased movies cause the media browser hangs on my system so a workaround would be nice,
PS. and no smart arse get a packet sniffer and figure it out yourself reply plz ;)

i bet its not crashing, but if you double click on half-life 2 movies it'll start downloading the new ones in the background and may give the appearance of the program not responding, i suggest getting something like DU-Meter so you can see your bandwidth usage, you'll be able to see that its downloading content and then when its done you can kill the program, restart it and it'll have all the movies.

well im not that much of a fool :) it soes lockup and i heve to terminate the process to exit it. Thats why i said a work around such as the direct access would be nice :)

The way people got unreleased media was to change some file targets for the media browser. You still needed to run steam and the media browser to get the file out.

There was another way, i think it was Chris who extracted the bink or bik file directly. Youll have to ask him for the latest points in the cache to extract.

Originally posted by jedipimp007
well im not that much of a fool :) it soes lockup and i heve to terminate the process to exit it. Thats why i said a work around such as the direct access would be nice :)

uhm, yeah thats what it does when it downoads new movies, for me at least, did you check your abndwidth usage while it was not responding? if so im sure you'd see the bandwidth being used, and if you let it go and kill steam after then it'll work next time.

Back