An experimental redesign of the Steam Client

nicereddy

Headcrab
Reaction score
Link to Imgur album

I should note that this isn't a skin, it's just a mockup I've been working on for a little while. I decided I'd finish it up and release it today, now that Valve has updated the UI in the latest Beta client.

Library:

VQEPFTl.png

Overlay:
qGlm0hk.png

I figured people reading ValveTime would be interested in this. I would explain my exact reasoning for all the changes, but that would take a rather long time. If anyone has questions/comments/criticism, feel free!

This looks like something I would definitely use. I like that I can see everything in one window. But it's just pictures, I can't really say how it is until I tried it for my self.

Is there somewhere I can download this or you just haven't released it yet?

Nice design. I'm not sure how useful it would be given the fact everything is pretty squashed together.

I really like all the thought that went into the people on the Friends bar, haha.

It's a little cluttered for my taste - there's a lot going on. I don't care about the Trading Cards and I seek out the Workshop when I'm interested in finding a specific build for a specific game, so I wouldn't shed any tears if those boxes were moved down the page where you scrolled to them and more space was given to achievements and game stats. And I had a bit of a hard time figuring out what the second screenshot was supposed to be - at first I thought it might be a Steam Music window, and then maybe a window that opens when you click on CS:GO in your library. It took too long for me to see that you were supposed to be in a paused game of CS:GO because there's too much on the screen.

I like the brighter colors, though, especially in the Friends bar - they draw the eye. I generally prefer Friends to be in the same window so I can view it easily and not on its own, so that scores points from me. And it's very smooth and clean. Spread it out a little more and I think you've got something with potential here.

I really like all the thought that went into the people on the Friends bar, haha.
+1 that's cute

I'm lazy so the only thing I'm saying is that I would not want the friends list to be embedded into the main window. The more windows I can have the better, generally. I want to be able to put them where I want, and I rarely need to see everything at once.

Back