are you hooked on facts?

Tr0n said:
He_Who_Is_Steve is my long lost brother...We was seperated at birth. :O

How you like that for facts?

I thought I was your long lost brother. ;(

The_Monkey said:
Then to which continent does Indonesia belong?

Australia is a continent and country. Oceania and New Zealand belong to Australia (but it should all be called Oceania, in my opinion). Indonesia is in Asia.

oh yeah lol its Australia AND Oceania, that makes up australasia surely...

MaxiKana said:
Oceania is a region, not a continent. And north and south america are TWO parts of america, which is the continent.

Blame my crazy school. In primary school we were taught there were seven continents, and Australasia/Oceania was the same thing. :|

But like I said it seems in different places some people are taught there are 6 and others 7 if you look at google.

These might've been posted before, but here are more fun facts:

• Jeruselem is the only city that has been forcibly taken over more times than Paris
• Operators for Disneyland's "It's a Small World" ride have a higher suicide rate than any other profession.
• Nine percent of over-the-counter prescriptions are written for placebos.
• An adult Andean condor can fly while carrying a fully grown sheep over one mile.
• A rat's sneeze contains no bacteria.
• The winter of 1918 was the only year cold enough that all of Niagara Falls froze.
• A piece of paper and 10 matchsticks use roughly the same amount of wood.
• The dime has the highest ratio of value to weight of any coin in the world.
• The technical name for a plus sign (+) is a quadrapoint.
• Red-haired people are twice as likely to be married by age 23 than their blonde-haired counterparts.
• U.S. Banks currently hold $48.6 billion in unclaimed inheritance funds.
• Time zone differences cost the world economy over 12 billion dollars a year in lost efficiency.
• Users of earbud headphones, like the ones that come with an iPod, experience a 61 percent increase in ear wax production.
# Everyone always wanted to know . . . What is a blue moon? Well, when their are two full moons in one month, the second one is called a "blue" moon.
# There are about 5,000,000,000 years on of sunlight left, like I really care?
# When the moon is directly over your head, you weigh slightly less.
# If you traveled the speed of light, it would only take you 0.0000294 seconds to climb Mt. Everest.
# The period at the end of this sentence can hold 2,000,000 hydrogen atoms.
# You have enough red blood cells in your body to circle (the veins) the planet 2.5 times.
# Planet Jupiter spins so fast that there are 2 sunrises and 2 sunsets every 24 hours by earth time.
# Planet Venus is the only planet to spin counter-clock
wise.
# It is impossible to land on planet Jupiter, because, scientists believe that below all the gases and liguid there is a center [core] which is made up of small ball of pressurized iron, but it is impossible to tell for sutre.
# Minus forty degrees Celsius is exactly the same as minus forty degrees Fahrenheit.
# The coldest outdoor temperature ever recorded on earth was 127 below zero in Antarctica on August 24, 1960.
# The highest recorded temperature in the US was 134 Fahrenheit in Death Valley, California.
# Non-dairy creamer is flammable.
# You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
# You breath 13 pints of air per minute.
# Rubber bands last longer if you keep them refrigerated.
# In 1943, Navy officer Grace Hopper had no choice but to fix a computer glitch manually. The source of the problem? A moth. Hence the term "computer bug."
# One of the largest carriers of hepitius B is diner mints.
# After the sun, the closest star to Earth is 25,000,000,000,000 miles away.
# Stars with really strong gravity cause themselves to become smaller and smaller and eventually turn into black holes.
# Stars come in different colors; hot stars give off blue light, and the cooler stars give off red light.
# Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
# If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.
# The little bags of netting for gas lanterns (called 'mantles') are radioactive, so much so that they will set off an alarm at a nuclear reactor.
# Each unit on the Richter Scale is equivalent to a power factor of about 32. So a 6 is 32 times more powerful than a 5! Though it goes to 10, 9 is estimated to be the point of total tectonic destruction. 2 is the smallest that can be felt unaided.
# Dry ice does not melt, it evaporates.
# The human body has over 45 miles of nerves.
# The record for the biggest one day rainfall was set on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, on March 15, 1952, where 74 inches of rain fell in 24 hours.
# The right lung takes in more air than the left.
# Of the 206 bones in the human body, 52 are in the feet.
# It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
# One 75-watt light bulb gives off more light than three 25-watt light bulbs.
# The pop you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually a bubble of gasburning.
# For 186 days you can not see the sun in the North Pole.
# Any free-moving liquid in outer space will form itself into a sphere, because of it's surface tension.
# The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.
# A full-grown pumpkin has about 15 miles of roots.
# Scientists have performed brain surgery on cockroaches.
# Every ten minutes, another plant or animal life form becomes extinct.
# The heart of an astronaut actually gets smaller when in outer space.
# In space, astronauts are unable to cry, tears can't flow down, because of the lack of gravity.
# Wet sand weighs less than dry sand.
# The shape of a plants' collenchyma cells and the shape of the bubbles in beer foam are the same - they are orthotetrachidecahedrons.
# Lightning strikes somewhere about 6,000 times per second on Earth.
# If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.
# A women's heart beats faster than men.
# The best recorded distance for projectile vomiting is 27 feet.
# Our eyes are always stay the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
# Men can read smaller print than women.
# If you are having problems remembering the planets in their correct order, just remember this sentance "My very educated mother justed served us nine pickles," Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupitor, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.
# The queen of England has two birthdays.
# Betsy Ross is the only real person to ever have been the head on a Pez dispenser.
# The world's longest name is: Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Shermasn Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorft Sr.
# Anne Boleyn had three breasts.
# Adolf Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.
# Marilyn Monroe had eleven toes.
# Leif Erikson was the first European to set foot on North America in the year 1000. (No, it wasn't Columbus)
# Queen Victoria eased the discomfort of her menstrual cramps by having her doctor supply her with marijuana.
# "Mad About You" star Paul Reiser plays the piano on the show's theme song.
# The "Sesame Street" characters Bert and Ernie were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the cab driver in Frank Capra's "It's A Wonderful Life."
# The youngest movie star to win an Academy Award was Shirly Temple who won an Oscar in 1934 at the age of 6.
# Samual Morse, who invented the telegraph, was originally a portrait painter and didn't give up painting to turn to inventing until he was 46 years old.
# John Lennon's first girlfriend was named Thelma Pickles.
# Shirly Temple received 135,000 presents on her 8th birthday.
# There are 2,382,500 (rounded) Smiths in the U.S.
# About 10,000,000 people have the same birthday as you.
# Mozart sold one of his most prized pieces, Symphony No. 5 for under $20.
# The airplane, Buddy Holly died in, was the "American Pie," which is where Don McLarean got the song title from.
# The name for Oz in the "Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence "Oz."
# Virgina Woolf wrote all of her books standing.
# The first shopping bag with handles was invented in 1918 by Walter Deubener.
# The first credit card [the Diners Card] was invented by Frank M. Namara in 1950.
# Rene Descartes came up with the theory of coordinate geometry by looking at a fly walk across a tiled ceiling.
# Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them, burnt their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."
# Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 year later.
# Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
# Captain Jean-Luc Picard's (Star Trek) fish was named Livingston.
# Elvis had a twin brother named Garon, who died at birth, which is why Elvis' middle name was spelled Aron; in honor of his brother.
# Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel, "Gadsby", which contains over 50,000 words, not a single word contained the letter "E."
# The Beatles song "Dear Prudence" was written about Mia Farrow's sister, Prudence, when she wouldn't come out and play with Mia and the Beatles at a religious retreat in India.
# Orville Wright was involved in the first aircraft accident. His passenger, a Frenchman, was killed.
# Born on November 2, 1718, British politician, John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, is credited with naming the 'sandwich.' He developed a habit of eating beef between slice of toast so he could continue to play cards uninterrupted.
# On the cartoon show "The Jetsons," Jane is 33 years old and her daughter Judy is 15 years old.
# The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.
# Cher's last name was Sarkissian, she changed it because no one could pronounce it and it would not be accepted in show business.
# Of the 266 men who have been pope, 33 have died violently.
# The lie detector was invented by John Augustus Larson in 1921.
# The biro was invented by George and Lazio Biro.
# Marie Curie, the Nobel prize winning scientist who discovered radium, died on July 4, 1934 of radiation poisoning.
# Sugar was first added to chewing gum in 1869 by a dentist (William Semple).
# Paper was invented early in the second century by Chinese eunuch.
# Everyone thought Albert Einstein suffered from dyslexia, because he couldn't speak properly until he was 9 years old.
# Sir Isaac Newton was only 23 years old when he discovered the law of universal gravitation.
# Hitler and Napoleon both had only one testicle
# Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
# Gweneth Paltrow's nickname for Steven Speilberg is "Uncle Morty."
# Steven Speilberg calls Gweneth Paltrow "Gwynnie the pooh."
# Roseanne's fear is anyone touching her toes.
# Johnny Depp is afraid of clowns.
# Madonna suffers from garophobia (the fear of thunder).
# Kim Basinger fears large crowds. She even locked herself in her house for 4 months, because of this fear.
# Pamela Anderson Lee is Canada's Centennial Baby, being the first baby born on the centennial anniversary of Canada's independence.
# Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
# Cinderella's slippers were originally made out of fur. The story was changed in the 1600's by a translator.
# Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
# Dr. Seuss pronounced "Seuss" such that it rhymed with "rejoice."
# In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam."
# Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."
# Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty," but he did say, "Beam me up, Mr. Scott".
# Howdy Doody had 48 freckles.
# Goethe couldn't stand the sound of barking dogs and could only write if he had an apple rotting in the drawer of his desk.
# The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
# The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth.
# Steve Young, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, is the great-great-grandson of Mormon leader Brigham Young.
# The magnolia tree is named after Pierre Magnol, a French scientist.
# The original story from Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights begins, "Aladdin was a little Chinese boy."
# It was the left shoe that Aschenputtel (Cinderella) lost at the stairway, when the prince tried to follow her. It was originally the right, but the translator messed up again.
# Armored knights raised their visors to identify themselves when they rode past their king. This custom has become the modern military salute.
# Walt Disney got the idea for Mickey Mouse from watching mice play in a garage, where he was forced to work, because he could not afford to rent an art studio.
# Walt Disney named Mickey Mouse after Mickey Rooney, whose mother he dated.
# The sorcerer's name in Disney's Fantasia is Yensid, which happens to be Disney backwards.
# Christopher Columbus had blonde hair.
# In 1970, an Arizona lawyer named Russel H. Ansie filed a $100,000 law suit against G-d. He won because the defendant never showed up in court.
# Nobody knows where Mozart is buried.
# White out was invented by the mother of Mike Nesmith (Formerly of the Monkees).
# Francis Bacon died of hypothermia while trying to freeze a chicken by stuffing it with snow.
# Wesley Snipes has a 5th Degree Black Belt.
# Wesley Snipes installed public telephones while struggling to become an actor in New York.
# During the Reign of Peter the Great, their was a special tax on anyone who had a beard.
# Samuel Clemens [AKA Mark Twain] was born in 1835 when Haley's Comet came into view. When he died in 1910, Haley's Comet came into view again.
# Charles Lindbergh took only four sandwiches with him on his famous transatlantic flight.
# In 1963, baseball pitcher Gaylord Perry remarked, "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." On July 20, 1969, a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, Gaylord Perry hit his first, and only, home run.
# Gilligan of Gilligan's Island had a first name that was only used once, on the never-aired pilot show. His first name was Willy.
# Alfred Hitchcock did not have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
# Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors.
# Sting got his name from a black and yellow striped sweater he would wear a lot.

Of you count in plates, then India and Australia should belong to the same continents.

The_Monkey said:
You swore that it would last at least 25 hours!!!
Well...you got boring after 18 hours...so be lucky it lasted even 24.

Mozart sold one of his most prized pieces, Symphony No. 5 for under $20.

...are you sure that this wasn't Beethoven..? :frown:

According to everyone I know, who happen to live in the place in question, North and South America are considered seperate continents. (Whereas North and Central America have been lumped together).
My Risk board agrees.

nick_t said:
• The winter of 1918 was the only year cold enough that all of Niagara Falls froze.

# The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

waht kinda fact operation are you running sonny?

i just remembered a cool fact....ron jeremy has a masters degree in special education! fancy that

74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

kaf11 said:
74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
nick_t said:
here's a statistic: 63% of all statistics are false.
Two posts down. /me smacks you with a waffle iron.

That list is something, though.

64% of staticians make up numbers 42% of the time, while only 21% of the general population notice this 67% of the time and only 1% care.

103% of people agree that there is usually an error margin of 3% on all statistics.

100% of the time, Ennui waffle irons your forehead right now.

nick_t said:
• U.S. Banks currently hold $48.6 billion in unclaimed inheritance funds.
Well, I claimed them... but they won't give the money to me.

nick_t said:
# Dry ice does not melt, it evaporates.
Technically, it's called sublimation.

nick_t said:
# In space, astronauts are unable to cry, tears can't flow down, because of the lack of gravity.
Crying (lacrimation) is just the production of excess amounts of the eyes' lubricant. It doesn't matter where the liquid goes after it does its job.

nick_t said:
# Wet sand weighs less than dry sand.
No, it's less dense than dry sand. There is a difference. The weight of the sand itself does not change because there is no reaction with the water. If you had said a full bucket of wet sand weighs less than the same bucket filled with dry sand then, yes, it would be true.

nick_t said:
# Anne Boleyn had three breasts.
Wow, like the prostitute in Total Recall... or was the placement different?

nick_t said:
# Hitler and Napoleon both had only one testicle.
Sounds like they were trying to compensate for something...

nick_t said:
# Alfred Hitchcock did not have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
So that's what made him so scary...

Too...much...facts...can't...think!

By the way...
Penguins are the only birds that can't fly but can swim.

don_johnson said:
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

I beg to differ, dear sir!

Some studies suggest that a goldfish has a memory span of 3 months. source

And I saw on Mythbusters that they trained goldfish to get through a maze quickly. If it on TV, it has to be true, right?

The average chocolate bar has 8 insects legs in it.

The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.

Eww! I'll duct tape my mouth shut every night before bed from now on!

This is what you call "trivia," or "information which gets in the way of thinking about important things."

Important note - The tounge is the strongest muscle in the body reletive to its size. To prove it, put your finger in your mouth and use it to pin down you tounge whilst you try to touch the roof of your mouth with it.

nick_t said:
here's a statistic: 63% of all statistics are false.

Ennui said:
Two posts down. /me smacks you with a waffle iron.

That list is something, though.

lol what I posted is a joke - I'm giving you a statistic indicating the possibility of error in statistics, meaning that what I just told you might be false...

Sorry it this has been said befor but "It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open." and "Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand." are mentiont 2 times.

nick_t said:
lol what I posted is a joke - I'm giving you a statistic indicating the possibility of error in statistics, meaning that what I just told you might be false...
... but you said basically the same thing as someone else did two posts before you. That's why he said "Two posts down."

7-11 sells 10,000 pots of coffee an hour, every hour, every day.

Connecticut and Rhode Island never ratified the 18th Amendment (Prohibition).

A spider's silk is stronger than steel.

Nearly 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong account over the next hour.

http://www.hookedonfacts.com

edit. just came across this,kinda scary

There are 92 known cases of nuclear bombs lost at sea.

Back