At point point in the future will video games look graphically photorealistic?

Pick one. Any one.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
im guessing around 2010. But im still not to confidant on that. Maybee a little longer. I dont think they will ever be photorealistic but close enough that you wont be able to notice the difference when playing a game unless you stop and take a really close look.

I dont think all games will take on the photo-realistic aspect, although i think it will be possible in about 8 or ten years.

Seriously they are good enough for me now. Except in extreme circumstances (a LOTR type scene or a dense jungle) computer games can display anything to the point where people can fully understand what is going on.

We will never see photo-realistic games because of time and complexity to produce one. A photo-realistic movie still takes years to produce and is infinetly easier to make than a photo-realistic game.

Yes I agree that graphics do look great the way they are and I would have no problem if they stayed the way they are today. far cry, half life 2 and doom 3 are all excellent examples and if graphics didnt advance behond those I would be more then satisfied.

Howevor new technologies are always going to be introduced. If we ever get to a point where we can have virtual reality like the holodeck on star trek then Far cry graphics wouldnt be good enough and I would want something photorealistic.

6-10 years

Unreal 3.0 engine will bring the new age of gfx in late 2005-2006
End 2007 we will see something even better around 2009 we whould be seeing photorealistic gfx.

Carmack even said 4-5 years from doom 3's release we will be seeing gfx start to look realistic.

In HL3 we will!! If technology went better we would have seen it more in HL2.
What was it called?
Pc Gamer(Us) Page: 116
"What will HL3 Be like?"
Well according to Ken Birdwell, a senior software development enginer at Valve, one planned feature that had to be cut from HL2 was image-based rendering. Oversimplified, its a method of modeling and rendering objects beased on photographs to create photo-realistic settings. He just said that to many 3d cards dont have the texture memory to do it all.

Personally I don't think most true FPS games will have perfected photo real gfx. I mean I don't want to get sick after I pwn everybody in a FPS and blood is everywhere with true dynamic fluids and the blood is dripping on stuff etc..

But overall probably 4 - 5 years. Technology is massivly upgrading itself faster and faster every year.
Now that agp is starting to loose its methods we can start going back to sli. Just think... 2 512meg cards someday.... :).

What we really need is worse gfx yeah, I wanna play a 8 color FPS!!!

I'm saying 11-20 years because it's not just getting more polygons and better lighting, I think animation will have to play a key role in making a gameworld seem real. Seeing movements that fit the current environment and characters that physically balance would be much more convincing than many looping animations.

I said 11-20 years. My main reason not to say 6-10 is because CPU's have hit a bit of a slump. As we move forward closer to photo-realistic computer games, we'll start to adapt more complex physics into game worlds, e.g. fluid dynamics, hair, grass, etc.

The CPU speeds we'd need to perform these tasks in real time would be increadible, and judging by the pace of the CPU market at the moment compared to what it was a few years ago, it seems like it might be a bit more of a wait.

I'm sure it won't be long before we see stills of real-time renderes that look photo realistic, but I'm a little skeptical of how they'll look in motion.

It will definitely happen, and I suspect we will start seeing games that include real-time rendered scenes that are difficult to discern from a photograph within 5-10 years. The real improvements in every aspect of gaming will come when we have quantum computers running at 150 trillion gigahertz! This probably won't happen for at least 20 years though.

I think in about 6-10 years....we are pretty darn close now..

Back