books that made you cry/teary

nofx

Reaction score
since theres a thread on books that youve read recently i think there should be a thread on books thatve made you cry.

for me in my recent memory
the five people you meet in heaven by mitch albom
i dont know why this book was just very touching

dont be afraid to share :D

where red fern grows i think it was so long ago

I'm not afraid to share. Mainly because I don't remember any books that have made me cry or teary-eyed.

wussies.

the oddest things make me choke up a bit.. I tend not to cry at things not happening to me though. some days I wonder if I'd even cry at my mom's funeral, I feel bad.

CyberSh33p said:
the oddest things make me choke up a bit.. I tend not to cry at things not happening to me though. some days I wonder if I'd even cry at my mom's funeral, I feel bad.

My left eye starts to cry for no reason at all sometimes.

I think enders game made got me the closest to crying or teary-eye'dness.

Im a man.

I dont have emotions because my enormous man penis makes up for it.

[SIZE=-7]But green eggs and ham gets me every time...[/SIZE]

Of Mice and Men almost made me cry, except we were reading it in English class and I looked around and everybody else just had this dull stare at the book, so it wasn't exactly an appropriate time for that. He let him pet the mouse and then they talked about bunnies.... and then he had to... augh, sad. And the poor guy trusted him. It was so wrong.

As for random meaningless crying experiences, I used to get allergies that would make me all teary-eyed and then I'd be holding up this tissue all the time and people would keep asking, "Why are you crying?" and I'd say, "ALLERGIES!!! ;(" Watery eyes are embarrassing.

dfc05 said:
Of Mice and Men almost made me cry, except we were reading it in English class and I looked around and everybody else just had this dull stare at the book, so it wasn't exactly an appropriate time for that. He let him pet the mouse and then they talked about bunnies.... and then he had to... augh, sad. And the poor guy trusted him. It was so wrong.

I cried to that book, such a tragic ending. Lenny going out beautifully at sunset with no worries, a mind completely free. Poor Lenny died thanks to our imperfections and wrong judgements.

"A Tale of Two Cities" -Charles Dickens. The ending was heartreding.
Hazar said:
I think enders game made got me the closest to crying or teary-eye'dness.
That too.

My Story: "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", "A Man Named Dave" by Dave Pelzer

Meh... Books don't really have any effect compared to movies, and no movies have made me cry yet, but alot of them makes me really sad.. Like the one with the mentally retarded guy who's supposed to take care of a kid.

No books have made me cry, but there has been one series that has made me very hurt. Songs and Swords series, with the characters Danilo Thann and Arilyn Moonblade. Reading the series, kind of got attached to the characters, so when one sort of cheated on the other, I felt betrayed and hurt. Crazy, huh? :E

Okay... it's not a book. And, okay... I didn't cry (well, i couldn't, i was with 24 other "classmates"). We're watching lotrs in english. just after the scene where bilbo goes crazy when he sees the ring, he starts to apologise to frodo. Then he says, "I'm sorry for... everything". Damn that actor is good... i felt so sad ;(

There was this one book I read in high school about a kid called Simon who was disabled somehow, was in a wheelchair and had a very low life expectancy. It was just about him and his friends going through high school and getting up to typical high school hyjinx, but he was really likeable. But then of course the inevitable happened and I couldn't compose myself for atleast a few minutes. Lucky I read ahead of the class and finished it at home :)

I also cried at the end of ROTK. They were "it's finally ****ing over" tears.

John steinbeck's the Pearl, of Mice and Men, Unbearable lightness of being: Milan Kundera, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Ivan Denisovich :) , the diary of anne frank ...ummm too many to list

CptStern said:
John steinbeck's the Pearl, of Mice and Men, Unbearable lightness of being: Milan Kundera, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Ivan Denisovich :) , the diary of anne frank ...ummm too many to list

So if I start naming book names, chances are you've cried when reading it? :E

I kid, I kid.

The Fionavar Tapestry books, by Guy Gavriel Kay

CptStern said:
John steinbeck's the Pearl, of Mice and Men,
Never read either of those, although The Grapes of Wrath was very sad so I don't find it hard to believe that Steinback is good at playing with a reader's emtions.
There are moments in Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Soltiude that are crushing, especially a moment towards the end, except the sadness of that is lessened by the incredible revelations at the end:) Superb book.
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy has a crushingly tragic ending, but again is a superb book.
Finally, the moment with Wintergreen in Catch-22 (if you've read it, you'll know which bit I mean) chilled me in a way few other books have.

el Chi said:
Never read either of those, although The Grapes of Wrath was very sad so I don't find it hard to believe that Steinback is good at playing with a reader's emtions.
There are moments in Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Soltiude that are crushing, especially a moment towards the end, except the sadness of that is lessened by the incredible revelations at the end:) Superb book.

I could kiss you chi :) I read the 100 years of solitude almost 2 decades ago and I couldnt remember the title or even the author. Great book

el Chi said:
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy has a crushingly tragic ending, but again is a superb book.

my wife read it recently said it was extremely sad but good

el Chi said:
Finally, the moment with Wintergreen in Catch-22 (if you've read it, you'll know which bit I mean) chilled me in a way few other books have.

the airplane bit? read it in highschool dont remember all that much

One of the saddest pieces of fiction i've seen in a while wasn't from a book. It was Futurama, the 'Jurassic Bark' Episode. That made me teary eyed.

Raziaar said:
So if I start naming book names, chances are you've cried when reading it? :E

I kid, I kid.

well depending ...hmmmm how many works of literature have you read? :E

CptStern said:
well depending ...hmmmm how many works of literature have you read? :E

Quite a few. I love to read. This not only includes fiction, but non fiction as well, ranging from ancient warfare, to world war II ERA books about the secret operations by all sides, etc. I love to read.

Hell, why the heck would I be paying to play a text mmorpg for seven years if I didn't love to read? <chuckles>

really? 7 years? that's a lot of cash on 1 game. evercrack?

CptStern said:
really? 7 years? that's a lot of cash on 1 game. evercrack?

Everquests sucked, for me. The game I play is Dragonrealms. And yes, it is lots of cash. About 180 bucks a year not counting quests, etc. Thankfully I haven't been reeled in for even more though, since the company is one of the must money grubbing companies I know to exist, charging for absolutely everything they can. RL cash, and lots of it. I only hold a basic account there. The Premium and Platinum become hell of a lot more expensive.

hmmm never heard of the game ..must be good if you've played it for 7 years :D

Nineteen-Eighty Four made me very very depressed and sad... i almost cried..
although the closest i've been is the book (cant remember the author) i read in primary school about a guy who wins the lottery, falls down a well and his dog dies getting food for him to live on, while not eating itself. I found it really touching.

CptStern said:
hmmm never heard of the game ..must be good if you've played it for 7 years :D

Definately doesn't compare with the free muds out there. This thing is professionally done, and there's no denying it. www.dragonrealms.com

doh cant find any screenshots ..from the discription it sounds interesting ..but thenagain I barely have time to play WoW never mind trying a whole new morpg

oops we're getting off-topic ..bliink will kick our ass for straying OT :O

Ehh. I tried sending you a PM, but it says you have exceeded your limit and need to delete some before being able to recieve more(damn, am I jealous. Nobody sends me anything!)

As I was saying in the PM though, there is no graphics in the game, as its all text. However, here is a screenshot of my character's description, as well as a display of his various skills and how adept at them he is.

http://img186.exs.cx/img186/4459/dragonrealms6jd.jpg

ANd to stay on topic(won't venture off anymore, had to, since stern can't recieve PM's). Books rock!

Raziaar said:
Ehh. I tried sending you a PM, but it says you have exceeded your limit and need to delete some before being able to recieve more(damn, am I jealous. Nobody sends me anything!)

As I was saying in the PM though, there is no graphics in the game, as its all text. However, here is a screenshot of my character's description, as well as a display of his various skills and how adept at them he is.

http://img186.exs.cx/img186/4459/dragonrealms6jd.jpg

ANd to stay on topic(won't venture off anymore, had to, since stern can't recieve PM's). Books rock!

hehe, participate in some anti-war discussions and you'll recieve a whole whack of PM's ..not all of them are all that nice, but what the hey, I guess that's the price I pay for popularity ;) I've received at least 150 pm's since I've become a member here, at least half started with the sentence "you @$#!# anti-american scum bag!!!" heheheh

*erases messages to make room for more messages*

back on topic ..books make baby jesus cry :E

Raziaar said:
One of the saddest pieces of fiction i've seen in a while wasn't from a book. It was Futurama, the 'Jurassic Bark' Episode. That made me teary eyed.

What about the one where he thought his brother stole his lucky seven-leaf-clover. That one was a really really sad one.

Pressure said:
What about the one where he thought his brother stole his lucky seven-leaf-clover. That one was a really really sad one.

Yeah, that one was sad too. But not quite as sad as the Jurassic Bark episode. Both were equally touching, and you won't find such quality in most of today's shows. In a comedy too, its shocking.

The finale of the Pullman trilogy did it for me....

*looks around warily*

Back