Bought a 360 from aunt. Bad move?

Saturos

Reaction score
Well, I thought this would be the only way to get a "current-gen" system RIGHT NOW because of all the bills I have to pay and all, and I though I got a pretty good deal.

My aunt sold me a 360 she got from a friend without a HDD and a 256MB memory card + Gears of War and Project Gotham Racing 3 for only 115$ as thanks for taking her to the emergency room in the middle of the night and mowing her lawn. She would then pay him an extra 50$ totaling 165$
(she wouldn't take no for an answer) All the documentation came with it and all, but I was wondering if warranties are the same regardless of who owns it? It's only a few months old and appears to be in excellent condition too.

The reason why I got this deal is because her friend no longer could have it since he would be doing a ton of traveling and it would've only been extra luggage. He tried GameStop and they only offered him 69$ for the whole thing, but considering it only has a memory card and no HDD on top of being lightly used, this was probably wise pricing from GameStop. (my aunt already has an Elite model btw)

So, did I get a steal? I wasn't prepared to pay up 399$ for an Elite model, and my PC is not competent enough for newer games, so I thought I came out pretty good.

The only thing that bugs me though is the longevity. I wonder how long it'll last before the DVD drive goes out or I get the infamous RRoD which I hope the warrant still covers. I don't play games as much as I used to, so maybe it'll last a little longer.

Regardless, I probably would've either purchased some PC upgrades or a PS3 in a few months anyways, but my impatience got the best of me :p

BTW, how much will Project Gotham Racing3 go for at GameStop? I'm gonna trade that in as racing is not my thing, or see if any of my buddies wants to trade.

I haven't gotten one RRoD. It's really not that big of a problem anymore, especially if it's a newer model. As long as you don't MOVE THE CONSOLE WHILE IT'S SPINNING the DVD drive will be fine. You got an excellent deal. Go pick up some games. Also, an HDD is a must. Save up for one.

I also recently acquired a 360, same model as yours, though mine was for free and I didn't ask for it. Initially, I was less than excited. I looked through the list of games and only 2 interested me at all: Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 or had no interest in whatsoever. Everything else I either owned already for PC or PS3. However, I picked up Fable 2 and now have newfound appreciation for the ugly, noisy beast of a machine. It's a great game, pick it up if you have any interest in RPGs. My only fear is once I've got Gears of War 2 and played both games to death it'll just gather dust like the Wii. I do have a hard time understanding why it's such a recommended console, but I suppose how much you get out of an Xbox hinges on how much you like Halo.

I also recently acquired a 360, same model as yours, though mine was for free and I didn't ask for it. Initially, I was less than excited. I looked through the list of games and only 2 interested me at all: Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 or had no interest in whatsoever. Everything else I either owned already for PC or PS3. However, I picked up Fable 2 and now have newfound appreciation for the ugly, noisy beast of a machine. It's a great game, pick it up if you have any interest in RPGs. My only fear is once I've got Gears of War 2 and played both games to death it'll just gather dust like the Wii. I do have a hard time understanding why it's such a recommended console, but I suppose how much you get out of an Xbox hinges on how much you like Halo.

Uhhh...

FORZA 2?!?!?

Uhhh...

FORZA 2?!?!?
Is Forza 2 a hardcore racing sim a la Gran Turismo or is it an arcade racer? My pedigree for racers are the likes of Burnout and WipEout, especially the latter. I find others far less exciting.

Fable2 is awesome, I already have it! :)

...and tbh, Halo is good, but not so good that I'd consider purchasing a 360 over a PS3. True many PC gaming enthusiasts probably already have many of the games as the 360, but as I said, my PC right now is not competent enough in handling many of the newer games I wanted to play, so I got a good deal as far as wanting to play it NOW is concerned rather than waiting until I can afford a PS3 or PC upgrades.

Does the Saturos speak in third person now?
"Him", as in her friend.

I payed her 115$ for her to give to him (my aunt's friend, not me) while she payed him an additional 50$ to sweeten the deal on his end of the bargain.

I would've just said that I made the deal with "him" to avoid the confusion, but I don't even know "his" name. Even though he's a complete stranger to me, I trusted my aunt well enough to know who she was dealing with.

Is Forza 2 a hardcore racing sim a la Gran Turismo or is it an arcade racer? My pedigree for racers are the likes of Burnout and WipEout, especially the latter. I find others far less exciting.
Fifa 09. It's a strategy game. Download the demo from marketplace.

BTW, which rechargeable controller kit should it get? The only ones I've seen so far is one with a cord and one rechargeable adapter, (quick charge kit I think) and one that comes with a charging tower + one rechargeable adapter.

The quick charge kit claims, "you can play while you re-charge!!!" but makes the wireless controller kind of pointless imo unless you can charge it while the system is turned off.

Also, unless the quick charge kit can re-charge while the system is turned off, a kit that includes a tower + 2 adapters instead of 1 would be more ideal.

Constantly buying batteries for the wireless controller sucks nuts and will nullify the deal I got for the system unless I get a re-chargeable adapter.

If you play Gears of War MP on XBL and you're new at it, stay away from Raven Down map. Gridlock is a noob favorite place to be.

If you play Gears of War MP on XBL and you're new at it, stay away from Raven Down map. Gridlock is a noob favorite place to be.
K thnx.

How's Gears of War 2? Stern posted the other day that he and a friend played it and that it was boring.

I'd go with a wall charger battery instead of the USB charger. It only takes around 4 hours to do the full initial charge, versus about 24 hours for the USB charger. You can use the USB charger while you play, but the battery lasts about 24 hours, so it's not really worth being tethered to the 360.

If you don't want to get Forza Motorsport, we can never be friends.

I had bought a 2nd hand 360 too 9 months ago, it was a premium for 100 euros. It was about 1 year old, and it never had any problems at that time.
The first 3 weeks it worked fine, but one day I started playing GTA IV and it freezed.. Tried again, freezed again after a few minutes. The next time I turned it on it had the RROD
Since it was out of warranty, and I like to fix anything I can fix myself, I ordered a repair kit and fixed it.

But after 2 months when I was playing, my 360 made a sound like a chainsaw and I got a read error, and as you probably can understand, thef disk was full of scratches! and no, I didn't move my 360.
The DVD-drive also started refusing to open, but after a few presses it often would open.

about 2 weeks ago, I turned it on again, and it gave me a E73 error screen so it couldn't start anymore and there's nothing to do against it.

Yes, it was pretty stupid of us to buy an old 360, hopefully you have more luck with it ;)

K thnx.

How's Gears of War 2? Stern posted the other day that he and a friend played it and that it was boring.

Depends really, I found the story coop boring as hell because the story isn't great, but playing it single player was just plain retarded. You'll never want to play campaign alone, trust me it's even more of a bore than playing it coop. There's a shitload of other MP modes though, like horde and your usual variations of CTF, TDM, 2 v 2 v 2 v 2 v 2(5 teams of 2) some classic modes and a shitload of maps including the DLC ones that you'll probably play only a couple times throughout the game's life. To me, they ****ed up the GoW mp formula, try GoW for an hour then go ahead and play GoW2 and you'll notice a huge difference in gameplay. I HATE IT.

Personally, I liked Gears of War a lot, but I won't be able to finish it until I get a new graphics card.

I haven't heard much about GoW2.

Back