Breaking Bad Season 4

While I agree that they are turning Walt into a major villain already ("Someone has to protect this family from the man who protects this family", brilliant), the $1 with Bogdan was too satisfying to hate him for it. The douchebag deserved it.

I loved that $1 bit. It was Walt basically saying "**** your first dollar and the shitty wealth it spawned... I make more in a month than what you take years to earn"

It was pretty douchey though, but that guy was a prick and his eyebrows bug me!

I took it more as Walt bein' all, "I'm out to prove a point and I don't care whose lives get ruined in the process". Bogdan's first dollar, Jesse's murder-free life, Skylar and Jr's financial safety, those cleaning ladies' jobs and/or lives; he don't take no guff from nobody's business.

("Someone has to protect this family from the man who protects this family", brilliant)

Not only did I really, really hate that line, but didn't she already say almost that exact same thing before?

Walt's "I am the danger" line is the one I found brilliant.

I took it more as Walt bein' all, "I'm out to prove a point and I don't care whose lives get ruined in the process". Bogdan's first dollar, Jesse's murder-free life, Skylar and Jr's financial safety, those cleaning ladies' jobs and/or lives; he don't take no guff from nobody's business.
Dude, what? Walt was clearly surprised and upset when they were taking those women away. He wasn't all 'idgaf' about that. And he wasn't like that with Jesse or Skylar+Jr either, or even with Bogdan. With the car, he was just trying to cheer his son up, without considering the consequences. That was just stupidity. With Bogdan, it was simply his way of adding insult to injury, because Bogdan was clearly trying to get under Walt's skin, and 'have the last word', as he was the first person to say 'as is'.

Are we watching the same show?

It's symbolic of his character. Obviously he didn't literally say it.

Who said anything about literally saying it? Explain to me how Walt's attitude was 'idgaf' in any of those situations.

Hiring the cleaning ladies was reckless, but he did not intend for anyone to be harmed. He even specifically asked for all the blame to be put on himself.

Buying the car for Jr was also reckless, but again he wasn't intentionally trying to **** anything up.

Telling Jesse to kill was a last ditch pushed-into-a-corner move, he literally would have been killed if it hadn't happened. He also realized the seriousness of the situation. He didn't want him to have to die. Just look at the regret he felt when he was looking at the coffee machine. He certainly wasn't just making reckless moves without any regard for the lives of others.

Not only did I really, really hate that line, but didn't she already say almost that exact same thing before?

Walt's "I am the danger" line is the one I found brilliant.

i dont know, but why would you hate that line? it was such a good blow to walt's tiresome "PROTECT THIS FAMILY" bullshit that may have been true sometime in season 1 but hasn't been for a while :p

i dont know, but why would you hate that line? it was such a good blow to walt's tiresome "PROTECT THIS FAMILY" bullshit that may have been true sometime in season 1 but hasn't been for a while :p

Agreed, my problem with the line wasn't what it meant, but just how it was said. It's more of a personal taste thing: I despise repetition. I swore at some point early on in the show she said "Someone needs to protect this family from you".

Agreed, my problem with the line wasn't what it meant, but just how it was said. It's more of a personal taste thing: I despise repetition. I swore at some point early on in the show she said "Someone needs to protect this family from you".

The way she said it, "Someone needs to protect this family from the man who protects this family" sounds way cooler than some shit about "someone needs to protect this family from you". The whole flow and meaning can be entirely different in my opinion.

I loved that line. Walt sees himself as the protector of the family, financially and on a deeper level, but that by his own actions of protecting the family he causes more strife and suffering.

That much is obvious to you though.

Who said anything about literally saying it? Explain to me how Walt's attitude was 'idgaf' in any of those situations.

Hiring the cleaning ladies was reckless, but he did not intend for anyone to be harmed. He even specifically asked for all the blame to be put on himself.

Buying the car for Jr was also reckless, but again he wasn't intentionally trying to **** anything up.

Telling Jesse to kill was a last ditch pushed-into-a-corner move, he literally would have been killed if it hadn't happened. He also realized the seriousness of the situation. He didn't want him to have to die. Just look at the regret he felt when he was looking at the coffee machine. He certainly wasn't just making reckless moves without any regard for the lives of others.
It's a narrative thing. Walt doesn't do these things to hurt people, but it happens this way because of his lack of concern for the lives of others. This is because he's being blinded by power and hubris, which has been constantly pulled out of his grasp for his entire life, both by others' actions and by his own decisions. The point that he's trying to prove, to the world, and to himself, is that he can be a powerful, manly person of action. He hates that he has to hide his success, and he's said so many times. But he's on a power trip now, driving the manufacturing process of a hundred-million-dollar meth supplier, literally getting away with murder, pulling strings in business and in social life. He's becoming what he always wanted Heisenberg to be.

I suddenly have the urge to buy Rage, I have no idea why.

LOL @ the stereotypical depiction of video games on TV

solid episode though
glad to see Hank back in the game

The way she said it, "Someone needs to protect this family from the man who protects this family" sounds way cooler than some shit about "someone needs to protect this family from you". The whole flow and meaning can be entirely different in my opinion.

I'm with Yorick, I think that was a shitty line. The wording is just too forced and redundant. It could have been written better, like if Walt said "I'm the protector of this family" and she said "Well someone needs to protect us from our protector" it would have been better. Even still, its too "who watches the watchmen" for me to think the line was good even in sentiment. "I am the danger" on the other hand was awesome.

Still have to watch last nights episode. I forgot about it and missed it.

It's a narrative thing. Walt doesn't do these things to hurt people, but it happens this way because of his lack of concern for the lives of others. This is because he's being blinded by power and hubris, which has been constantly pulled out of his grasp for his entire life, both by others' actions and by his own decisions. The point that he's trying to prove, to the world, and to himself, is that he can be a powerful, manly person of action. He hates that he has to hide his success, and he's said so many times. But he's on a power trip now, driving the manufacturing process of a hundred-million-dollar meth supplier, literally getting away with murder, pulling strings in business and in social life. He's becoming what he always wanted Heisenberg to be.
I was going to respond to Vegeta's post but you did it for me, perfectly. Walt's pride does cause him to behave recklessly and without regard for the probable consequences of his actions. Hiring the cleaning ladies was reckless because Walt knows Gus and should have expected Gus to kill / silence them however necessary, and send them home at the VERY LEAST. Same with Jr's car, Gale's death, etc. Walt didn't INTEND for stuff to get ****ed up and for there to be negative consequences, but regardless it did, because he is too proud and self-absorbed to consider the consequences and effects of what he does.

Last night's episode was great too. I love this season.

Breaking Bad might be the only show that gets better every season.

*shivers* in anticipation after end of last ep.
Hank is a badass. Although, I was a little put-off by the fact that so much of the information he found was revealed right then instead of over the course of a few episodes. It almost felt like the writers were like "Welp, about time to wrap up the season. Let's plant the seed of the finale here."

Jesus, Jesse's scene at the NA meeting is emmy-bait for sure. That was an amazing display of emotion on his part.

And, I'm a little confused about the blatant in-show advertising of Rage.. It fits the atmosphere of Breaking Bad (albeit barely) but you could tell the scene was written around the promo.

The past several episodes (last night's included) have just been superb. The end of this season is clearly going to be insane.

Loving the Gus backstory development... he was already the most interesting character to me and now that's redoubled.

So I guess the real reason Gus hasn't actually killed Jesse or Walt is cause he has a soft spot for loyal partners. :p

Anyone else cringe whenever they talk about killing Gus in Jesse's house? I can't imagine that Mike doesn't have that place wired.

It makes me feel almost... vicariously awkward when they talk about it. I know there's a word for this... Anyway, I think the place is wired, that's why Jesse got a message saying the meeting was cancelled.

This Gus development is absolutely brilliant. I'm pretty sure he sees his partner in Jesse. And probably himself in Walt, what with all the vengeance and business sense.

Finished episode 2 and trying to catch up even more. This show is still addicting as all hell

Loving the Gus backstory development... he was already the most interesting character to me and now that's redoubled.

Yeah that was excellent. I'm fascinated as to how things are going to play out from here on in tbh.

Who is that guy and where have I seen him before? Oh that's right, he is Steven Bauer from Scarface:

Probably the best Breaking Bad episode!

Its a pretty simple thing, but I was pretty amazed at how well they made Gus and the other guy look so much younger. Normally when shows try to do that they look pretty much the same, with a different hair cut, but they really, really looked and acted like younger versions of themselves in this episode. Shows you how much makeup and old person acting they put out for their present day characters. I didn't think I could think any higher of this show's talent, but damn I was impressed.

Oh my god, the tension when Walt and Hank are sitting there in the carpark and Mike pulls up. Literally squirming!

Looking forward to tonight's episode :D

Also, seasons 1-3 of Breaking Bad are now available on Netflix instant play... AWESOME.

Sniper scene was so awesome. I loved that they realistically depicted the sound of being shot at by a rifle from long range.

The fight between Walt and Jesse was a bit intense, mind with tensions that high I guess it was long time coming.

I also like the reference to Ice Road Truckers (which I watch too haha). :) Season 5 will probably be the best. Walt again saving Jesse only from the Mexican drug cartel, in Mexico, with Mike helping out will certainly be great. The series has long hinted at pushing past that USA border barrier and what a wonderful final season it would be.

Max_Creative_01_NOESRB1.jpg

Max Payne 3 promo kinda looks like a concept you would see from the last season.

While I was reading his post I hadn't looked at his image directly, and I though the large head was Walt.

Thats because he's bald and bloodied, which is the only two things the poster has in common with anything in Breaking Bad.

Judging by last nights episode, Walt did look bloodied and beat up like that pic. Also 1+ to the worst peeling of a scab on tv.
If you were poisoned I'm confident you would be like foaming, puking, heart attack, go into a coma, etc.
The end came at the worst time I was like:

theofficeno.gif

Worst possible time to cut to credits! :D This entire season I have been "why in the promo's they keep saying Walt is the danger this time"? Now I may know after the next episode!

If you were poisoned I'm confident you would be like foaming, puking, heart attack, go into a coma, etc.

Sorry to tell you this Melinda, but you're definitely not qualified to make that statement, which is at least part of the reason why you're completely wrong.

Do explain with factual evidence I am wrong. Also no, I am not the wife of Bill Gates.

Well that was an awesome frickin' episode. Probably my favorite of this season so far.

Do explain with factual evidence I am wrong. Also no, I am not the wife of Bill Gates.
Are you familiar with the effects of every known poison in the world?

If you apparently know what 'should' have happened, then you must know which poison they used in the show. What's it called? How long after ingestion does it take effect? Please tell us.

Back