Chell will make an appearance in the Half Life storyline.

Reaction score
Making this post in the hopes that this will get stickied. I know it's been mentioned in numerous threads, I'd just like a sticky so people have a better chance of reading it.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/index.html

Gabe Newell says himself in X-play Preview: PORTAL video that Chell is an important character and will meet the current lineup of characters!

This is straight from the horse's mouth folks, believe it.

Ack. Ok. I'll believe it twice to make up the difference.

What did you all expect? Valve doesn't kill named characters that often, feel free to list all they've killed so far.

Gabe Newell said:
The character you play as in Portal has "importance" in the overall Half Life universe, and will eventually have a fairly significant relationship with some of the other characters that we're already familiar with.

She kinda has to meet characters to have a significant relationship with them.

Nope, no meeting required to fulfill the definition of a relationship. I think probably there is a meeting of some sort but my real objection is in saying that it means that Chell appears in Ep3. People are posting that as if it's set in stone, absolutely 100% guarenteed etc etc.
When people post that kind of thing they are misrepresenting what Gabe said.
Significance in the universe does not mean significance in Ep3.
Relationship with HL characters does not mean we meet her.
Importance in the HL universe does not mean that she has to appear at all.

Make all the theories you like but don't present them as fact.

It is not outside the bounds of reason to think that after her encounter with GLaDOS in Portal, the insane AI's hilarious "I'm still alive" taunt and info gathered about Black Mesa... that we may run into Chell in some form during Ep3.

Of course outside of Barney, no playable character has ever spoken, so it would be interesting to see how Valve handled it.

All they would have to do is say something like "... you remember Chelle don't you? Alyx's mother, Eli's wife." and right then and there Gabe could cover his butt. That makes her important to the story and means she has a relationship with some major characters. In absolutely no way, shape or form does that quote from Gabe mean we'll be guranteed seeing Chelle in person. Of course I could be wrong, but a mere mention is all it would take to fulfill Gabe's statement.

All they would have to do is say something like "... you remember Chelle don't you? Alyx's mother, Eli's wife."

Nah - I get the feeling she was part of the "Bring your daughter to work day". She was kidnapped there. According the guide, the only thing she knows about herself is that she is called Chell.
Thus, her parents brought her to aperture science when she was too young to remember, GlaDos put her in cyrostasis. Chell comes out a grown woman.

Nope, no meeting required to fulfill the definition of a relationship. I think probably there is a meeting of some sort but my real objection is in saying that it means that Chell appears in Ep3. People are posting that as if it's set in stone, absolutely 100% guarenteed etc etc.
When people post that kind of thing they are misrepresenting what Gabe said.
Significance in the universe does not mean significance in Ep3.
Relationship with HL characters does not mean we meet her.
Importance in the HL universe does not mean that she has to appear at all.

Make all the theories you like but don't present them as fact.
Seconded tbh, and anyway it would not be un-Valvelike for Gabe to do a complete U-turn on this statement and for us never to hear of Chell again. At this early stage, any info we get about the future HL2 story is very unreliable since Valve have shown that they are not afraid of changing significant story&gameplay elements should they turn out not to work well in practice.

Alyx' mom's name isn't Chell, from what I understand.

I never once said she'd be in Episode 3. Stop putting words is my mouth D:

I said an appearance. I didn't say she was going to be all like HELLO GORDON! WILL HELP YOU!!! An appearance can mean a passing mention or reference.

What I am trying to point out is proof that Portal is set within the HL universe and Chell has a significance. Some people on this forum want to know the official word and here it is.

All they would have to do is say something like "... you remember Chelle don't you? Alyx's mother, Eli's wife."
"You remember my wife Azian, don't you?"
- Black Mesa East

Anyhow, they wouldn't just name-drop like that, not with a character we've already seen. It'd feel cheap.

Sorry, my post sucked. I didn't intend to imply that Chell was Alyx's mom. I was just trying to come up with a quick example of them dropping a name and then leaving it at that. I should have spent a few minutes coming up with a better example.

I do agree that would be cheap, but I'm still not too crazy about Portal and HL sharing a universe so I'm almost hoping it will be a simple name drop and that will be it.

Eli
Breen
Lazlo?

Multiple threads about Chell's inevitable appearance mean that I post with as much answer straight away, No point drip feeding and drawing out the torture of people misunderstanding a simple quote from Gabe.

As for what you specicaly say in the OP, "Chell will make an appearance" is what I'm saying is not definately the case. Even if you choose to misunderstand what actualy gets said in that interview Laivasse' arguments hold true.

I think a simple name-drop could work in context. If Chell goes on to become some sort of bad-ass Resistance member then intertwining their stories could work well.

did any one else notice a blue light still being on the 'destroyed' GlaDOS

Remember, Spoiler Tags are your friends.
'LAMARR IS STILL ALIVE.'
He better be.

Crash Happy.

We don't need spoiler tags acepilot, people know there are gonna be spoilers in the P0rtal section, and so if they look its their fault if it is spoiled for them.

What did you all expect? Valve doesn't kill named characters that often, feel free to list all they've killed so far.

Eli Vance
Wallace Breen
Gordan Freeman (player choice)
Father Grigori (maybe)
Laszlo
Smithers
Otis

Qhartb said:

Otis never died. Otis can never die. You know the Otis you meet up with just after the first shock trooper appears? The one that comments, "Those poor bastards?" That's the true Otis. The one where, once you get to the elevator, he tells you he's gonna stay there? You go on ahead and leave him, presumably to die in a nuclear explosion.

Only he doesn't. Immediately after you head up the lift he leaves, hightails it back to the Area 9 transit hub, makes his way up to the surface fighting Xenians, Race-X, and the military, surviving for two days off of soda and snacks pilfered from vending machines, and a merciful supply of stale donuts lying around the office complexes.

Eventually, he hijacks a bullsquid and rides his way to freedom just before Black Mesa is turned into a giant sinkhole. He still lives out there today, riding his bullsquid and fighting the Combine. Ride on, Otis. Ride on.

Otis never died. Otis can never die. You know the Otis you meet up with just after the first shock trooper appears? The one that comments, "Those poor bastards?" That's the true Otis. The one where, once you get to the elevator, he tells you he's gonna stay there? You go on ahead and leave him, presumably to die in a nuclear explosion.

Only he doesn't. Immediately after you head up the lift he leaves, hightails it back to the Area 9 transit hub, makes his way up to the surface fighting Xenians, Race-X, and the military, surviving for two days off of soda and snacks pilfered from vending machines, and a merciful supply of stale donuts lying around the office complexes.

Eventually, he hijacks a bullsquid and rides his way to freedom just before Black Mesa is turned into a giant sinkhole. He still lives out there today, riding his bullsquid and fighting the Combine. Ride on, Otis. Ride on.

OMFG I lol'd.

Chell and Gordon, face to face:
"..."
"..."
*shoots toilet*
*sends back with portal*

They've already crossed, technically. It could suck, but it could be handled well, as is the norm for Valve - I expect to be pleased.

Chell and Gordon, face to face:
"..."
"..."
*shoots toilet*
*sends back with portal*
Chell will speak. She's already broken one of the conventional rules; you SEE her. You see yourself, in game. And all the characters you can see in-game speak.

That's why you never see Adrian Shepherd and Gordon Freeman, outside of box art.

So I'm not the only one who thinks crossing portal and HL is fail?

They already have a relationship with each other. I know Valve said "we'll see" when it comes to exploring it further, but considering the immense acclaim and popularity Portal has received thus far, I think we can accept it as a given.

I still don't know why you're against it though. Why? Just curious.

Chell will be referenced in Ep3 when it is revealed that she is G Man's (a.k.a, the insane mercury-poisoned CEO of Aperture's) daughter, and also the AI script used to power combine soldiers.

They already have a relationship with each other. I know Valve said "we'll see" when it comes to exploring it further, but considering the immense acclaim and popularity Portal has received thus far, I think we can accept it as a given.

I still don't know why you're against it though. Why? Just curious.

Feels wrong.

Chell maybe is Alyx's lost sister? or Eli's younger sister? how old is Eli?

I think Chell has nothing to do with the Vances.

Back