Computer Build - $1100

Reaction score
I currently have, and will keep this computer....

6600 2.4GHZ - Overclocked to 3.3GHz
4gb DDR2 PC800
GeForce 8800 GTS (EVGA, 640MB 320-bit GDDR3)

Most of the remaining specs are kinda irrelevant to performance (power supply, case, HD, etc...) I also have a 1.75 year old laptop as well.
----------------

Current Total aprox $1100

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz 125W Quad
  • Evidently should be able to hit 4GHz
Motherboard: MSI AM3 AMD 790FX
  • FSB 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
  • North Bridge AMD 790FX - South Bridge AMD SB750
  • Memory: 4×240pin, DDR3 2133 OC, support 16GB
  • Dual CrossFire (16X+16X) -or- Quad CrossFire (8X+8X+8X+8X) <--quad would be insane
  • SATA 3Gb/s 8
  • Realtek ALC889, 8 Channels (w/ optical out)
Memory 8gb (undecided which one to get below...)
ATI HD 5770 1gb 128-bit GDDR5 (Sapphire)
  • I can dual/quad Xfire later if I want, but just 1 for now.
Western Digital 1gb 7200RPM 2.0 Gb/s
Antec Nine Hundred (ATX Case)
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
Thermaltake 850W Modular

Ideas/comments?

I need 8gb (yes, I use it). Computer will be used for 3DS Max Rendering, some compositing (Nuke), and lastly video-gaming. Gaming is kinda irrelevant, considering my PC screams through most modern games (that aren't buggy).

Get the 955. It's the same chip but cheaper.

The ram will be pretty much useless at that speed. AMD chipsets can't really handle it. 1600mhz is considered an overclock (at least for Gigabyte and Asus boards). The Ripjaw line is good, but I'd just go for the PC3-12800.

The Cooler Master version of that style of CPU heatsink is actually rated the highest, and is slightly cheaper.

Everything else looks decent. Personally I'd go for a Seasonic/Corsair PSU, but meh.

im thinking I'm getting a new build with tax refunds.
MSi has a really bad and long RMA Process I really recommdend you with EVGA or Asus.

My laptop is 2.7361 years old. Repeating, of course.

I'd recommend holding off until Nvidia's new DX11 cards come out. From what I hear they're sort of merging their gaming cards and workstation cards. I think they're doing a lot of stuff with Cuda and their hardware that will really help out your 3D work. Thats what I am waiting for at least, since I use Maya and Zbrush a lot. Maya even has a sweet real time rendering system with Cuda already, and its supposed to perform excellently with their new hardware.

Quad CrossFire (8X+8X+8X+8X) <--quad would be insane
Insane yes. 4x the cost, heat, power requirements, fan noises -- half the bandwidth.

Back