cp_dust2 for download

monkeyclass

Reaction score
Alright The time has come to reveal that cp_dust2 is now ready to be played as a fully playable cp map for TF2.

First of thanks to the few who took the time to provide contructive feedback.

known bugs:
*In blue spawn a wall is not problaly textured. (I whould fix this but I was too lazy at the time)

Here are some screenshots

cpdust20000pc7.jpg

cpdust20001yi6.jpg

cpdust20002dt8.jpg

cpdust20003ta3.jpg

cpdust20005ll5.jpg

cpdust20006dg8.jpg

cpdust20007bc3.jpg

cpdust20009jb7.jpg

And here is the map download link (zipped with the bsp file +screenshots):
http://files.filefront.com/cp+dust2rar/;9879221;/fileinfo.html

With all due respect, but it looks a bit fugly in some places ... what's with the bland ceiling texturing ?

I also fail to see how the layout of a map for a totally different game would automagically result in good gameplay for TF2.

I respect the work you've put into this and the attention to recreate de_dust into the finest details, but this somehow doesn't feel right.

First map eh?

RED spawn makes no sense. Sand indoor?

Also the decals are leaking into the displacements near those barrels.

With all due respect, but it looks a bit fugly in some places ... what's with the bland ceiling texturing ?

I also fail to see how the layout of a map for a totally different game would automagically result in good gameplay for TF2.

I respect the work you've put into this and the attention to recreate de_dust into the finest details, but this somehow doesn't feel right.

As much as this is a map meant to be enjoyed, its as much, if not even more, a experiment to see how a map from a tottally different game would react and play in a another game, in this case tf2.

I know this map may not win this years tf2 beauthie contest but my main goal, by making this map was not to put a major work in ceiling, Ive tried to put my work in making this a cp map that could work in team fortress 2.

Anyways I cant make people love this map and I respect your (and possible others) opinion on this map, but I still do hope there are some lovers out there so I can start on working on furture maps :)

TO Iron_cube: I know it is not true the tf2 style. Anyway the purpose is to be true to the dust style as much as possible. CI would like to keep the "red" spawn as the ct spawn. and the "BLUE" spawn as T spawn. And the ct spawn fitted perfect as red spawn, but I tried with regular floor but it simply looked silly and it gave a wrong impresion of the good old ct spawn. For blue I had to make a new seperate room thats wy there is floor on.

The textures might not be fantastic, but I think he's done a pretty good job re-creating it. Monkey, instead of this being the final version - make it the beta so people can give you more feedback on it. It looks really promising and with a bit of work could be a lot better.

The textures might not be fantastic, but I think he's done a pretty good job re-creating it. Monkey, instead of this being the final version - make it the beta so people can give you more feedback on it. It looks really promising and with a bit of work could be a lot better.

And back to Beta it is

It looks much better than the painful yellow you had on the walls before. It needs a bit of a spring clean to fix up a couple of issues (most of which are noted above). Once that is done it'll look like a finished piece.

Also, I'm not sure what settings you are taking these pictures on but I think it's making the map look worse than it actually is. (With the jaggies etc...)

Update, I played through the map just to see what it was like. It looks good in places but in others it seems you've just got bored and left it.

Positives:
cp_dust20001.jpg

cp_dust20003.jpg

cp_dust20008.jpg

I especially like the change you made to that part with the side ledge for breaking through the corridor by going OVER the top rather than the bottleneck of the doors. It would probably be good fun.

Negatives:
After coming down from Long A, to the Red base you are met by a great little room between the double doors, then you reach this waste land area!?
cp_dust20005.jpg

Another very plain room, and cmon you can do better than that with the broken area in the wall!
cp_dust20007.jpg

Silly mistakes
cp_dust20009.jpg

Also, when you spawn the camera for some reason is under the map so you can't see what the hell is going on. Secondly, the set-up time before the game starts is 2 minutes which is insane. Also I noticed you've got lots of random ledges around the place. I tried to double jump up there with a scout or rocket jump with a soldier. Problem is I keep hitting myself on the invisible ceiling which is only as high as the surrounding walls. I'm sure you've played TF2 before and know that demomen / soldiers / scouts all need more head room than that.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

It seems a bit cheap to rip a map from another game.

Thanks a lot Glenn :D

I can assure you I actually got bored in those areas that you mentions, or let me put it this way, I never began on those, the mistake in the blue spawn is very silly indeed! Ive got home right now so I will start working on it again. I was afraid of the long setup time myself. Do you have any surgestions for the best setup time? Also Im gonna remove that invisible ceiling, to get a more vertically gameplay, also... well Im gonna improve every minor "bored-work". Thanks again Glenn :)

and well you could call it rip. But ive always wanted to see Dust2 and other maps as tf2 maps, and since no one else would take the time and "rip" them to tf2 that is what im gonna do :)

Back