Do you still use Xfire?

Do you still use Xfire?

• Yes, like all the time. I much prefer it over Steam Friends.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Yes, I use it in combination with Steam Friends.

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Nope, Steam Friends replaced it for me.

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • I've never used Xfire before.

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joule

Tank
Reaction score
I've noticed the popularity and usage of Xfire drop considerably with the advent of Steam Friends and Community. Just looking to get a general idea of how many people still use it, and whether it's even worth redownloading.

I used to have xfire, but then I realized it caused some conflicts with some games and apps so I uninstalled. But overall steam friends is just as good if not better.

No it's gay, all my orginal friends that use to use it are now on steam. No point.

Steam is much better.
Xfire just seemed like it wanted to rape my PC.

Use both. Though I haven't actually chat in xfire in a long time, its just for stats/screenshots/videos.

I actually like xfire better than steam friends for what it does. It auto detects games, can take screenshots, videos, shows fps, streams video, and browse the web in game for most newer games.

I only ever used Xfire to play Civ 4 online... but it was a piece of flaming dog tirds at doing that... so i started playing tf2

I never used XFire that much.
Now with Steam Friends out I never use XFire at all.

I used to use Xfire a lot, but I haven't had it installed for probably a year now.

both.
even thought i only have 1 friend that uses it on a regular basis!

Used to have it, but now that I mostly use Steam for games, I honestly don't see a point anymore.

One other thing I love it for:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8038/36649199.jpg

Quick access to all mah games! Also for some games (most notably Valve games, including TF2), it skips the intro shit and goes straight to loading the title menu. (I also usually have lots more games but I'm planning a reformat so moving shit around = delete large unplayed games).

One other thing I love it for:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8038/36649199.jpg

Quick access to all mah games! Also for some games (most notably Valve games, including TF2), it skips the intro shit and goes straight to loading the title menu. (I also usually have lots more games but I'm planning a reformat so moving shit around = delete large unplayed games).

haha didn't even know that
i should just get rid of my quick launch shortcuts then :p

haha didn't even know that
i should just get rid of my quick launch shortcuts then :p
You know I only just remembered how full my desktop and quick launch were with game shortcuts. Now it's like 1/4 of that size (god I remember how big it used to get, half screen of icons XD). I've probably had it this way 2 years now though XD

I use Xfire.

Not even sure what Steam Friends is. Is it part of Steam Community? Does it support games not Steam related?

Used to use it all the time, clocked probably over 2000 hours of games on it too (sad, I know lol)
But steam just works now, and if I want to play with friends on a non-steam game I'm usually on vent or whatever so we just tell each other what server to join.

I use Xfire.

Not even sure what Steam Friends is. Is it part of Steam Community? Does it support games not Steam related?

You missed out, srsly. Steam Friends is basically the Xfire feature of Steam. Lets you (voice)chat with friends, you're able to make group chats, you can join other friends playing Steam games, etc.

EDIT Although you're probably already using it. Friends = community.

I use it all the time.
I only pop on Steam every now and then to fool around in the HL2net chatroom or talk to someone who doesn't use xfire.

I use X-fire quite alot. While steam friends is good, its a bit limited in what is supported, so it isn't used that extensivly by myself.

Don't have any friends that play Steam games exclusively, so Xfire is fine for me.

Never used it.

Remember when, in the early days of Steam, the Friends service didn't work at all for a long time?

Never used it.

Remember when, in the early days of Steam, the Friends service didn't work at all for a long time?
I remember it all too well. Those were the Dark Ages for Steam.

I always use Steam Friends. I never really got into the Xfire thing, don't know why.

Used to use it back during the bf2 days *nostalgia tear

Then I used Steam Friends when tf2 came out.

anyone find that the Xfire icon in the tray doesn't load upon startup sometimes (XP)?
so annoying

Works fine in Vista and win7. Though it works on my XP laptop fine too.

anyone find that the Xfire icon in the tray doesn't load upon startup sometimes (XP)?
so annoying

Considering that I never set anything to start when the computer boots, nope. :D

Launch programs are terrible.
They should all die.

Except Steam. <3

I've not touched X-Fire for well over 1+ years now. Steam Friends is just so much better.

You missed out, srsly. Steam Friends is basically the Xfire feature of Steam. Lets you (voice)chat with friends, you're able to make group chats, you can join other friends playing Steam games, etc.

EDIT Although you're probably already using it. Friends = community.

What does it do better than X-Fire? The only thing I see that I could use, that X-Fire doesn't have (or at least I don't know about it), are group chats [EDIT: I meant I could use group voice chats not sure if that's on Steam]. And the X-Fire chat window pops-up instantly for me, while Steam Community takes a while longer.

Of course, if I want to find someone to play L4D with, I use Steam Community, but since I also still play games such as BF2 and BF2142, I use X-Fire. If I play a Steam game, both are on, since Community is on by default.

I hardly play any online games besides TF2 so Steam suits me fine.

Nope, Steam Friends replaced it for me. = what i voted for, but really i just one day forgot about it. Even tho the total playtime log they had was the only reason i ever used it.

I used to use X-Fire heavily back when I played battlefield 2. Stopped after that though.

Simple, XFIRE for non steam games, Steam Friends for Steam games.

xfire in the BF2 days, but as soon as Steam Friends came back (which was like 2 years ago now or something) I've never used xfire again. It does everything I need it to, xfire was just another program to install, another thing to log in, update and relearn to use.

Also for those of you who don't use SF (really!?) you can add non-steam games to get, to access the Steam Community overlay. It will show which game you are playing, and you'll be able to tab + shift in and out of the overlay, but you can't get server info for online games like xfire can. It's really useful for me still though, so people can still contact me & I can use the Steam browser ingame and I idle in a couple Steam chat rooms.

I used it but then when the Steam Community was brought in, I used that instead.

Back