DOD:Source-review -Not groupie fan crap, never played first, reviewed as a standalone

wse_jack

Reaction score
This game has officialy grabed me from what ever else I was doing this week and it dosent seem to want to let go. Though it has its flaws, Steam's accessibility to autopatch on the spot and dod's motivated developers show promise that even those few flaws and nit picks may be fully eliminated, as well as other things made even better over time. So I will update my score of the game when It seems more complete, as is only fair for developers who patch the game and make it better. My biggest problem was the iron sights, the speed at which it takes to bring them up is like watching your own death in slow motion, even if they come up, the kick mixed with the low sensitivity in iron sights makes finding the previous shot a chore. Kick isnt bad, but common, I could shoot the guy who decided it should take this long to bring the gun up to sight in as much or less time, and thats if the gun is on the table infront of me...and I'm not even that fast. Course I wouldent cause I'm sure he has learned his mistakes now. Also another top skimmer is the fact that some guns have ironsights, and some that have ironsights on the model, dont have an iron sight option, even the ones without a seccondary fire. This should be reworked to take advantage of an empty slot. Course If I had my way they would all have iron sights and the crosshair wouldnt be there.

Well, Taking out the cross hair might get a lot of people who hate change and realistic shooters to not play, so I would leave it in, but I would make it's dynamics acctualy represent the field of fire like clancey games. Other than that, Pistols for every one, save bazooka who has a carbine; Make the punch melee attack animation more forcefull, and add a seperate key to every gun for a universial melee attack with the but of the rifle. Exeption with bazooka and MG's> allthough mabey that could be a slow, long charging attack that crushes the head or something and sends him flying, like in man hunt with the baseball bat. Anyways basic melee with rifle but, ironsights for all guns, mobility represented in barrel bob so that you can walk more than 1 mm an hour aimed down sight. Also make the ironsight have more sensitivity, I play with 14-16 mouse sensitivity and going from that to this slow crawling crap that gets you killed on the MG and the Garand, cause you pan view at the speed of a turtle imitiating slow motion movies from the matrix in slow mo too. Mabey fix the first person weapons models/hands...Its not bad looking, but it dosent stand next to cs's fps models.

Other than that its involving, by far the most addictive game for me since raven-shield which says a lot more than I want to admit saying. The gore makes valve's sad attempt in hl2 that was buggy as hell and self limited, sob and cry in the corner. Source powered bullet holes may not allways apear like was common in HL2, but they are bigger, and a 2 foot spray of blood flys from the wound and paints the ground or wall behind it. If only valve didnt have that retarded unchangable four thousand something limit on decales, I could do some serious changes to the color schemes in euorope. Red orchistra? no... just red dripping like vampire bloodlines allmost.

Gameplay is tight, save for the few mediocer and few minor problems that I mentioned above. The biggest fall of the game is the maps themselves, they are small, limited much like Brothers in Arms was. They look good, expecialy the water oriented sections of the beach town thing, cant remember the name. But when you turn around twards the water at the spawn, the sight is incredible. Even better than that is just under the bridge on that level, just the color of the water and everything else they fixed stand out right away and imprint in your mind like the bombed out city 17 levels in Half-Life 2, or the Chinese maps in BF2, (even though they look good, they all are too big and suck ass, but damn its nice to look at.)

In many ways DoD:s is like a cross between BF2, and both MOH:pA/MOH:AA's Multiplayer, just without the shitty lag and censored gore. IRONICLY WHO OWNS THE RETAIL RIGHTS TO HL2 AND HL2 LINE RELESES----> EA games, cant wait for them to try and get valve to make HL3 a T rated game since hl2 is the first M rated game they've ever put their unskipable retarded ass symbol on, waisting precious secconds that forces us to watch EA rape its way to the top of the pile of games that would have been prestine sales if not for the preferating one inch loyal "member" of the EA company. At least UBI tries to put some heart into the products and franchises it destroys with its lack of buisness tactics, shotty funding for games and a bias twords PC games cause it take more effort, resources, and time to make a game that PC gamers will care about cause its acctualy worth a damn. VU again, so sad they split with valve cause of how good they have been to the PC, but hey, Valve is the dev and the money front for thier projects, which gives them an ability to do anything, they want, any way. Now if only the combat in Hl2's expansions will incorperate the realism that every fps is now doing. Its not even realism, just less fake, and cooler looking, and HL2 deserves to be on the list for cutting edge in combat, to go with its graphics, story, animation and gravity gun.

Any way... lol some day ill learn to not go off on tangents like that. DoD is tense, fun, and with the large amount of mic using players with no limits to team VO like bf2 has, an increasingly addictive, and fun teambased tacticle shooter. Just needs some ironing out, which is why I knew steam would be worth the crap back in november. Steam will cirtiaintly help patching it, and doing it fast. More maps are comming soon from devs hopefully and home made maps are allready being worked on. Which will requier me to change my total on the game later on when they fix it; ( I would assume they fix it and rate them accordingly, but CS: source still hasent fully become what the first was, and even obvious bugs like the AUG's barrel in the AUG's zoom, so easy to fix, yet, NO! been a year now). All in all it breaks down like this for me:

Pros: Good graphics overall, improved source gore effects, tense and fast gameplay, good set up for simple team tactics that people actualy use, fairly improved combat system from the regular source games, addictive gameplay beyond the first CS.

Cons: Character model detail could be improved, Iron sights need massive improvements, not all guns use iron sights, nades cook automaticly (no altfire to choose how to throw it), view pan on MG is way too slow, only 4 small maps that are allready getting a little old, no walk toggle or key for walk, sprint could be a little longer lasting, Very long loading times that can last up to 5+ minutes.

Over all: Does what it said it was going to do, no bullshit; fast paced gameplay that only slows down for kinks in its new combat which is but a flesh wound to its addictive style, good support, and a unique style that while added to a mix of MOH, COD, and BF2, make it stand alone proud as DOD:Source.

88%*

*when game seems more complete as far as maps and tweaks go I will re-rate the game to what it deserves.

and what is about the amazing sound this is also a big pro!!!!!

oh hell yeah, the fact that any shots you hear are actually happening just makes you feel like youre in a real war zone.

I have do disagree about the pan on the MG, a fast panning MG would be overpowered. Moreso.

Yhea I now see that, I was more against the pan on the ironsights for the rifles anyways.

The sound is tight, that Bf2 effect of background gunfire actualy being gunfire is tight.

In response the claim that the crosshairs should represent your firing discrepency, I think they should make ALL shots hit right on your crosshair, and rather than getting the widened crosshair as you move, your crosshair starts to move around your screen as you run, showing where your shot is going to lay, but also showing your running accuracy.

Having shots go all wonky out of a perfectly straight gun just seems so unrealistic to me :p

"Very long loading times that can last up to 5+ minutes."

Wow, I usually load in 30-45 seconds. I think thats your computer rather than the game. I have a gig of ram, which isnt uncommon today, so 5 minute load times is not a problem a lot of people are going to encounter.

Krynn72 said:

Wow, I usually load in 30-45 seconds. I think thats your computer rather than the game. I have a gig of ram, which isnt uncommon today, so 5 minute load times is not a problem a lot of people are going to encounter.

Same here, 25-30 seconds max.

the game sounds like crap

and i've never played dod original...was never a fan boy of it, nor a hater of steam....i enjoyed source engine very much too.

i'm sorry, but dods is pretty crappy by my standard

Before I played DOD:S I pretty much thought of DOD as a sub-par mod. Pretty much I was all against it. Then you play it for like 15 minutes, and you start to feel different. Once you have the maps figgured out this game is Awsome! I Love it.

Huh. Mine only take 35 seconds max.

Back