Does anyone else have problems with steam?

tomemozok

Space Core
Reaction score
I have been occasionally getting disconnects from steam servers for some time now (steam,not the game i am playing). The problem is when i want to play a new game (i.e. Dota 2 or a new server for TF2),the game says i am not connected to steam and need to run steam in order to play.

And steam has been very laggy and unresponsive as of late.

Anyone else thinks valve needs to fix steam right away, since the platform is not really created for this kind of load, and while i know they try to patch it up and update it, it is already 10 years old (give or take)
and it needs a new fresh install. They can accomplish a lot more with a new platform and do things faster and more reliable. They need to migrate the existing playerbase of-course, and roll the new platform as an update to the old, so it can be a lot less painful for everyone.

Your issues with steam and opinions ?

While I personally have never had issues with Steam, just about all of my friends have stability issues with it constantly. I assume it has mostly to do with the fact that I'm running off a monstrous desktop, whereas all of my friends run off laptops. So, I see where you're coming from. I have found Steam frustrating every time I've used it on a friend's computer. In that respect, I think rebuilding Steam makes a lot of sense; it would ease a lot of customer frustration. On the other hand, I don't know how difficult and time-consuming it would be for Valve to do anything about it. For one, I don't know if Steam is built to be modular like Source. And more importantly, I don't know how difficult it would be to port over the entire userbase to a fundamentally new build of Steam while retaining compatibility with all the games which integrate it.

TL;DR - I agree with you that a more efficient and more reliable build of Steam would be great, but I don't know if such an enormous undertaking would be worth Valve's time or the userbase's time, not to mention the risk of breaking some games' integration with Steam.

Back