dont use new hammer!

Reaction score
dont use the new hammer: I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH. It actually built in a compile error, so now my beloved map, is useless!

Screeny below:

Are you talking about Hammer 3.4 Beta?

I've not noticed any problems. The built in complier sucks, anyway. Batch files all the way for me.

well, im talkin about the very newest, the one with the model viewer thingy, stupid thing, had to change .fgd file!!! much annoyence. Luckily I had a backup, from before i put the map into the new 1! So if you must use the new 1 , BACKUP EVERYTHING!!! Yeah the 3.4 compiler sucks,but I can never be bothered with compile tools for non-release grade maps, if im just doing a demomap for sum1, lol ! And speaking of bugs, what is wrong with the Opposing Force 3.x fgd, gives me a map problem with stupid keyvalues!!!! GRRR :flame: and another thing.... *trails off like an old man*!

Yep thats Hammer 3.4 Beta.

But, exactly what was the problem? I don't see how the compiler can make changes to your .map or .rmf file.

If you were compiling from the .rmf then you would have the .map handy anyway, which is better anyway, IMO.

no idea, lol , it went mad , QRAD, QBSP and VIS all crashed, and a program that tells me that theres omething wrong with a program went mental !!

not so clear

dont use the new hammer: I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH

When I first read that I thought you meant the new hammer that came with HL2.......

(which of course makes no sense)

Originally posted by mrBadger
no idea, lol , it went mad , QRAD, QBSP and VIS all crashed, and a program that tells me that theres omething wrong with a program went mental !!

Okay.. and that rendered your map useless, how?

that was just the error, if u tryed loading up the map, then it gave me the error "blah blah memory at point 0.0000001x0.324000 the memory could not be 'read'" and close. Now im not a n00b but i dont know much about errors,lol. so it became unplayable

Well, to be honest, I don't think that warrants a "Don't use the new Hammer" post. It's been out for a while, i've not heard of any other complaints, maybe you just got unlucky? In any case, so long as your .map file is okay, you needn't over-react. :E

Originally posted by mrBadger
that was just the error, if u tryed loading up the map, then it gave me the error "blah blah memory at point 0.0000001x0.324000 the memory could not be 'read'" and close. Now im not a n00b but i dont know much about errors,lol. so it became unplayable
In my experience, this is because of your Virus Scanner. Anytime you see a message saying that memory cannot be "READ" it is because the virus scanner has conflicted with the software and is not releasing it to the program. I've seen it repeatedly, both with Norton and McAfee.

If your compile is erring our don't even try loading what is there of the BSP. Suss out what went wrong from the start of the log

Otherwise, try restarting windows and load the map clean. If it is still erring then you could shut down your virus scanner and try. You may get further. However it may indicate the the BSP/RMF you are trying to load is munged.

BTW--I saw this image you posted---was this supposed to show us something?? It is just a plain room. How is this related to errors you are getting?

and uhm.. always keep multiple revisions of you RMFs so you can go back.

I'd imagine it would make more sense to fix your map instead of immediately blaming the editor/compile tools. If you're using valve's tools i highly recommend you switch to zoner's. Telling people not to use the new version, which you must remember is a beta, and which also provides a very handy new feature, is just wrong.

i have heard of other errors, lol, yeah i meant to switch to Zoner's tools a while back but never got round to it. Thanks for everyone's advice because Im not exactly familiar with the technicalities of compilation, as i really only map, i used to code but im only familiar with the hl.dll of the SDK, as that was all that I was interested in at the time: making new monsters. the picture I posted, well its just to show what the map was like. My bad for blaming the editor! BTW i did try and fix the map, i actually deleted all i had, just kept the file as a blank 1 and built a new 1 which was a simple room with an info_playerstart and nothing else and i still had the same effect. My bad for blaming the error

try using batch compiler to compile your maps externally it works much better if any of you need any advice then contact me on msn [email protected], i can solve any problem bug compile error anything just ask and i`ll give an answer.
i can fix about 99% of all known compile errors/bugs in hammer

my webby www.nay.cscentral.com

I have'nt experienced anything bad about hammer 3.5 beta.
It really rocks I think, and now that dod is released we can really use models like they should be used, I'm talking about masked textures yes.

newmaple2.jpg

Back