editing tga->vtf skins

A

alheeley

Hi, 1st post, be gentle! I've spent a lot of time skinning cars for various on-line racing games, new to CS:S, been trying to get into skinning the people models (CT's and T's). I have picked up a couple of tools but cannot get the conversion back from an edited tga to a vtf file and into the game again. I also picked up GCFScape, but it doesn't want to run, it's version 1.2.5 and it has a problem failing to initialise properly.
All I want to do is extract the tga for the clothing texture used for the T's and CT's, edit it, and put it back in again.
My file structure with the d/loaded HL2 SDK seems a little different to some of the tutorials I've come across, so maybe I'm putting things in wrong folders?
Anyone know a real easy step-by-step tutorial to achieve the above?
Many thanks in advance!

Fragger, I really appreciate your help on this. Follwed all the steps down to running the vtf2tga.bat, but then it just gives a load of lines saying "A SUBDIRECTORY OR FILE TEMP ALREADY EXISTS" and no tga's appear anywhere. Is there a small typo on the bat file maybe?

OK above problem solved, using a slightly different vtf tool from another help site, got the extracted tga's and edited them. When I try to convert them back to vtf by dropping pnto vtex.exe, I get the command prompt message: "can't find steam.dll relative to executable path". The converted textures don't appear anywhere. Any ideas to solve this one please?

np, sorted.
CTorange.jpg

Fragger I've followed your tutorial on your site about 15 times now, to the word, and i still get the output directory problem.

No matter which way i do it i get the same error.

Can anyone help? :rolling:

For vtf to tga, use the one you downloaded.
For tga to vtf, use the right-click instructions.
I updated the tutorial last night (added some stuff and corrected some mistakes).

Back