Ender's Game w/Harrisson, etc

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score

WTF, wonder who will play Mazer, oh god this could suck i'd be upset.

Mazer Rackham is the dude with the crazy face tats, and I think it's Sir Ben Kingsley that's going to play him.

Pff, of all of Card's work of course they'd adapt this and not his modernised, anti-gay retelling of Hamlet. How predictable.

Haven't seen anything that brings up red flags yet, so I'm excited for this to come out.

I did find it funny how

They shown the very end of the movie in the trailer

Pff, of all of Card's work of course they'd adapt this and not his modernised, anti-gay retelling of Hamlet. How predictable.

Yes, I would hope so. Ender's Game is one of the only books he's written that's not half-assed.

Come on Hollywoodn Do this right. Also yes, aside from this brilliance, OSC is a hack. I don't really care.

Is this Indiana Jones 5 - when Indy goes to space?

I know bad joke.

But to be honest, I have never read any of the books, so I have no idea how good this movie will be.

Yes, I would hope so. Ender's Game is one of the only books he's written that's not half-assed.

Eh, I don't know if I agree with that. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide were both excellent as well, if not a different style from Ender's Game. Children of the Mind got a little silly with the technology, but was okay otherwise.

The rest of the books in that universe are not bad and flesh out the story better, but don't really stand out on their own.

Is this Indiana Jones 5 - when Indy goes to space?

I know bad joke.

But to be honest, I have never read any of the books, so I have no idea how good this movie will be.
So by your own admission, this is a completely vacuous post?

Eh, I don't know if I agree with that. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide were both excellent as well, if not a different style from Ender's Game. Children of the Mind got a little silly with the technology, but was okay otherwise.

The rest of the books in that universe are not bad and flesh out the story better, but don't really stand out on their own.

I should have said series not book. I actually thought Ender's Shadow was a better overall series than Ender's story.

I should have said series not book. I actually thought Ender's Shadow was a better overall series than Ender's story.

Ah, gotcha. Only non-Ender book I read was Empire so I don't really know much of his other material...

Ender's Shadow is a better series, for sure. Ender's series is pretty solid though. Game and Speaker are both great and then it steadily declines from there. Not really crazy about this. Looks a lot like "Hey we made the coolest super cool genius kids in space, p. sweet" not "We've created a disturbingly violent and manipulative system by which to turn children into thoughtless weapons." I mean, granted, this is a hype up trailer, but that very ending (as in the very end (though not quite the very end really) of the book) looked a little too Dragon Ball Z for me. Also, weird face tattoos, is that a thing I'm forgetting?

Wait, I forgot how awesome Ender's Shadow is too. otherwise never cared for other OSC I tried to get into.

Ender's Shadow is a better series, for sure. Ender's series is pretty solid though. Game and Speaker are both great and then it steadily declines from there. Not really crazy about this. Looks a lot like "Hey we made the coolest super cool genius kids in space, p. sweet" not "We've created a disturbingly violent and manipulative system by which to turn children into thoughtless weapons." I mean, granted, this is a hype up trailer, but that very ending (as in the very end (though not quite the very end really) of the book) looked a little too Dragon Ball Z for me. Also, weird face tattoos, is that a thing I'm forgetting?

Are you seriously expecting that kind of nuance from a film adaptation of a book about space aliens? I think you're in for disappointment if so.
Wait, I forgot how awesome Ender's Shadow is too. otherwise never cared for other OSC I tried to get into.

Most of it is mediocre at best. Even the later stuff in Ender's Game sequels feels a little too disconnected from reality and filled with hand-waving.

Are you seriously expecting that kind of nuance from a film adaptation of a book about space aliens? I think you're in for disappointment if so.
I wasn't expecting it, no. But given that's what actually makes Ender's Game good, not vivid descriptions of explodey space battles, I thought they might atleast try for it.

I wasn't expecting it, no. But given that's what actually makes Ender's Game good, not vivid descriptions of explodey space battles, I thought they might atleast try for it.

It looks a little too JJ Abrams for that.

It will be good in that it will be fun and engaging, I'm fully expecting that.

We'll have to see, methinks. Anyone know a release date? None of the sites I've seen mention anything about it.

Frankly, I'm not even positive as to how this movie could even in function in the latter half without focusing on the deep stuff in the books. I feel like the closest thing to making it summer action movie-y would look like an RTS.

I'm very interested to see how much they touch on his adventure game. My guess is it will be brief if at all, but who knows.

Frankly, I'm not even positive as to how this movie could even in function in the latter half without focusing on the deep stuff in the books. I feel like the closest thing to making it summer action movie-y would look like an RTS.

I'm very interested to see how much they touch on his adventure game. My guess is it will be brief if at all, but who knows.
If I know Hollywood's MO, they'll take that latter half and just slice it to pieces in order to keep the action pace going, rather than investing the effort into good writing.

I like the JJ Abrams Trek, but that's not really an indicator of much. I wasn't alive for classic Trek.

JJ Abrams does his style of directing well, but applying it to Ender's Game is going to necessitate totally shredding the second half of the story in order to maintain pacing. I withhold judgment until it's actually released, since I've been surprised before (Abrams' Trek actually comes to mind here).

I wouldn't necessarily want JJ to do the film, In fact, I think he'd be a bit too gaudy for the job. I'm just saying classic and dearly important properties have been making it to Hollywood lately without being completely obliterated.

Back