F.E.A.R. With a Geforce Fx 5600?

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
I was readin the MINIMUM requirements for fear and it says it needs 512 MB of memory or more, my card only got 256, will it still be able to play on mine!?

That would be 512MB of system memory. I believe the minimum for video memory is 64MB, if not 128

I have (Had):

1 GB RAM
5200 FX
2.8 Pentium 4

The multiplayer demo's video test said I got an average of 2 fps on the lowest settings. I don't think you will run it either.

Hey- I have FEAR, and it will run fine on a;

1 GB RAM
5200 FX
2.8 Pentium 4

or similar system if you:

click 'enable DX 8 filtering' in the graphics section- do this, and you will see great improvement on framerate and performance.

and play with the other graphic settings, ie turn shadows off/ down etc to optimize if you want.

Let me know how you get on!

I had everything that you could off off and everything on else on minimum =(

I have that card, the game ran like shit. Not even playable..

I know it runs like shit- I have a:

AMD 3000+
128MB Geforce FX5200
1GB ram

and it was completely unplayable. I was lucky to get 2 fps.

BUT- if you do what I said with the DX 8 filtering (tick the enable box), it will DEFINATELY be playable. Put all graphics on low if you really have to. Exit and restart the game just to be sure it will run.

IT WILL DEFINATELY BE PLAYABLE ON YOUR SYSTEM

Trust me.

Well i ran it fine on my AMD Athlon 2800+, 1GB RAM, and a Radeon 9600xt. But now i have a x800 GTO so i have no worries.

A64 3500+, 2GB PC3200, 7800GT and I was disappointed with the performance I got. But looking at the setting I had it on, I guess I shouldn't be.

(All maxed, soft shadows, 4x AA/8x AF, 1280x1024.)
(Sorry, I had to.)

I'm not very familiar with the 5 series of nVidia cards, but it should run decent at 800 x 600 either low/minimum, also as stated before numerous times, you'll want to enable Direct X 8.0, for your Direct X 8.0 card :). Also what is that card, an AGP? PCI? If it's AGP and you have a bit of money to spend, a 6600GT would be a ton better, I think for about 130 bucks you can get one off http://www.newegg.com , other than that that card will run it fine, enjoy :)

Well I played the emo on barely medium settings with a 5900 and it ran fine like that..

kinda off topic but do you guys think a 6200 will make much of a difference with a 1.8 ghz thinger and 512 mb ram?

Jack_Karverboy said:
Well I played the emo on barely medium settings with a 5900 and it ran fine like that..

kinda off topic but do you guys think a 6200 will make much of a difference with a 1.8 ghz thinger and 512 mb ram?

Not really, I'm pretty sure the 6200 is on par with the x300 from ATI, and they are on par with the 5200 I believe right? So probably not.

Lol "1.8 Ghz Thinger'' <-- That was a good 3 minute laugh :)

The Fx 5600 won't run FEAR, well mine didn't.
Upgraded to a 6600GT and doubling my memory to 1Gig did the trick, runs like a dream.

I saw the topic and immediately decided on my response "download the demo"

I have the same card with 1 gig of ram and a pentium4 2,6. I try the demo and it lag a lot, I uncheck so many think to finish the demo that it looked like Quake 2 at the end.

baxter said:
The Fx 5600 won't run FEAR, well mine didn't.
Upgraded to a 6600GT and doubling my memory to 1Gig did the trick, runs like a dream.
Holy Crap - READ the tip I gave. See what system I got it to run fine on? Man, some people just DON'T listen.

Ticking the "enable DX 8 filtering" is the key.

IT WILL WORK FINE. It won't look the best it can, but you can play it just fine.

ARRRGGHHHH!

That thing is bull.

If you try playing on a 5600, the game will look so bad that you're gonna miss out even if you're playing it.

bam23 said:
That thing is bull.

If you try playing on a 5600, the game will look so bad that you're gonna miss out even if you're playing it.
You sir, are a moron.

Sure, it won't look as good as HL2, but it will still look better than half the other crap around, and at least these people will be able to play and enjoy the game. Isn't that what this is really about?

Yay let's resort to name calling.

I haven't played FEAR on a 5600 so I wouldn't know how bad it will look and/or run. He'll be able to enjoy the game, but he'll be missing the atmosphere that FEAR is famous for.

Whatever, I don't care what he does.

bam23 said:
Yay let's resort to name calling.

I haven't played FEAR on a 5600 so I wouldn't know how bad it will look and/or run. He'll be able to enjoy the game, but he'll be missing the atmosphere that FEAR is famous for.

Whatever, I don't care what he does.
How can you comment on something if you don't know? That's like telling us our old car wont get us to work and back, because it's not a Ferrari like your mum drives you around in. Sure, the ride wont be as smooth, but it will still work out fine. I never said anything about atmosphere. I said he could play the game.

OmegaX said:
Well i ran it fine on my AMD Athlon 2800+, 1GB RAM, and a Radeon 9600xt. But now i have a x800 GTO so i have no worries.
same

Shasta said:
Holy Crap - READ the tip I gave. See what system I got it to run fine on? Man, some people just DON'T listen.

Ticking the "enable DX 8 filtering" is the key.

IT WILL WORK FINE. It won't look the best it can, but you can play it just fine.

ARRRGGHHHH!

Thanks for that. The game would not run , period, it could not even make it to the start menu.
The poster asked for an opinion ,I gave one, and don't expect to be shouted at by anybody for doing so, learn some manners pal.

Excuse my off-topicness, but it is weird that my athlon 64 3500 + 1 GB RAM + GeForce 6800 (non GT) can barely run FEAR on medium? 'cause I think I just wasted like $600 dollars. :(

baxter said:
Thanks for that. The game would not run , period, it could not even make it to the start menu.
The poster asked for an opinion ,I gave one, and don't expect to be shouted at by anybody for doing so, learn some manners pal.
Didn't mean to come off too rude, but it was frustrating to see people saying that it wouldn't work on their system, as I KNOW it will run just fine even on a crap system like mine, and I posted the way to do this, and my specs. I even clocked the game in about 2 days. The graphics didn't even look too bad, just nothing special, ie no dynamic lighting effects, etc. I don't know why (and didn't know) that you personally couldn't even load the start menu, as I never had heard of that problem. I'm just trying to help people with lesser systems understand they can run the game fine, and how to do it.

Back