Films: Rate and Discuss

Rango: 7.5/10

Saw this on a whim with my little brother and wow. When I saw the adverts for this, I kinda wrote it off. Boy was I wrong. It reminded me a lot of older Nicktoons in terms of content and style. This "kid's movie" was rough and scary. It swore. It had a weird abstract monologue for the first 15 minutes. It has vocabulary that had me guessing. It really was an awesome movie.
This review about sums up my feelings. I was surprised by some of the slightly morbid things they threw in there. Great movie.

Nobody airbrushes every frame of a film. They apply make up to the actors.

Inception 6/10

I was hoping for a movie mindfukc like the original Matrix, but I got a superficially entertaining action movie about stuff happening in a dream within a dream within a dream within a .... oh come on! This movie is bollocks.

I don't think I posted this before but Six Feet Under Season 3 9/10

Love this show, my girlfriend loves it too because she can relate to Claire with her past relationships and her art school woes and such. I like it because Michael C Hall is an amazing actor and all around the cast is superb. I highly recommend this if your waiting for more Dexter or other good quality shows that have a good story and complex and realistic characters

Whatever, that's not really my point, how it's done has nothing really to do with it. My point is, in every other film more or less, women look perfect. Why don't lesbians get to look perfect?

Did you watch the movie? It's about how life isn't perfect, and Julianne Moore is still hotter than most moms I know even without makeup.

restrepo 8/10

This movie has been on my Netflix queue for a while now and I was finally in the mood to watch it yesterday. I was hesitant to watch a documentary about the Afghan front lines because I have a general apathy towards that whole conflict, but as I watched it I realized that it was less about the conflict than it was about the people in it. Seeing these people talk about their lives and the horrors they witnessed during their tour in Korengal Valley harkens back to all of the stories you would hear from someone who served in Vietnam. What I really liked about this documentary was that it didn't try to preach something to me, like a Michael Moore movie, but instead Restrepo told me a story about a group of men being thrown into an extremely dangerous and stressful situation and the effects that it had on them.

restrepo 8/10

This movie has been on my Netflix queue for a while now and I was finally in the mood to watch it yesterday. I was hesitant to watch a documentary about the Afghan front lines because I have a general apathy towards that whole conflict, but as I watched it I realized that it was less about the conflict than it was about the people in it. Seeing these people talk about their lives and the horrors they witnessed during their tour in Korengal Valley harkens back to all of the stories you would hear from someone who served in Vietnam. What I really liked about this documentary was that it didn't try to preach something to me, like a Michael Moore movie, but instead Restrepo told me a story about a group of men being thrown into an extremely dangerous and stressful situation and the effects that it had on them.

watched it too on Netflix and it was amazing to see such a different perspective from what the news shows you. I'm a fan of documentaries that show it like it is

Limitless 9/10

Loved this movie, it was trippy, thrilling and felt original. I know theres probably a movie out there like it but for my sake I can't point my finger at one that I can relate. Anyway this was a great movie and reminded me of a lot of really good movies

Spooks (Season 3) - Adam Carter have my children!!11 etc/10 (9/10)

I'm going through all the seasons so I ultimately shall be posting reviews as I go (I'm sure no one cares but it gives me something to do.)
I love Spooks, but I wasn't really sure what to expect from this season, as I started watching in Season 6, and this being from 2004 I was worried it may be a bit out of date, but it maintained its authenticity as a fantastic show, even in early days.
The only exception really was episode 6, 'Celebrity'. Andy Serkis as a washed drug addicted grunge musician is great, but the episode was simply unrealistic, stupid and non-fitting to Spooks. Aside from that though, great season, great show. 9/10

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

5/10

Some neat ideas and parts in this film, but it has far too many ridiculous moments, and a crapload of retarded plot holes. I enjoyed seeing the labyrinth and knowing a little bit more about the universe of the Cenobites.

Paranormal Activity 2

Pretty good follow-up. I liked that they didn't wholly rely on the same bag of tricks for frights, and that the family's reaction was a bit more plausible than Micah's "let's see what happens!" bullshit. Also,

at least it capitalized on the horrid theatrical ending from the first movie. Still hate it.

Blue Thunder

****ing nostalgia bomb. Somehow, this is both more and less corny than I remember.

Love and Other Drugs 8/10
Saw this with my girl, it was nice to finally see a romantic movie without tons of cliche's.

Tron 8.5/10
Finally got around to seeing this movie, it was awesome! Very retro and I wish I saw this growing up :(

Tron: Legacy 8/10
Not bad, looked better of course but lacked a little spark that the original had. Some parts were utterly boring and I nearly fell asleep watching it

Source Code 9/10
I liked it a lot, was fun, entertaining and reminded me a mix of Groundhog Day, the Matrix, and Inception but still felt Original

Summer Wars: 10/10

Great animation by Mamoru Hosoda. Shows some problems with relying on a single giant network and how cracking it could mean complete hell for a country's infrastructure (albeit it was quite unrealistic).

So I just watched The Social Network. I hadn't before. It was...it was really, really good.

David Fincher...you are forgiven. I forgive you for Alien 3. And it takes a lot for me to say that.

Also, the DVD menu is really long, which is nice.

I've actually got it on DVD, though yet to watch it. I know he's done enough good films in the meantime - Seven for a start - and I know his involvement with the Aliens sequel was sketchy and disputed - but it's an emotional thing for me. The beginning of that movie, watched very soon after the end of Aliens, chilled me to the core. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair.

Your Highness 8/10

this movie was hilarious and also fairly rad, although i am sure the high brow humor standards of hl2.net would never respect it

Limitless - 5/10

Got some nice visuals, but it's really quite shit.

Howcome Robert Deniro only accepts extremely easy and unchallenging roles these days? I haven't seen him done a good performance in decades. The same goes for Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino and many other terrific actors of that generation.

The Breakfast Club: 9/10

Saw this at the local theater where they had a midnight screening of it. It was kind of neat watching it as people did in 1985. Anyway, it was probably the 20th time I've seen this movie and I'm pretty sure I've posted several reviews of it in this thread already. But yeah, it's great.

The Happening - 5/10

What a snooze-fest. I literally did fall asleep during this. Boring, unrealistic plot. Please. 5/10

Pay It Forward - 8/10

Cool movie, love Kevin Spacey, alot of elements remind me of American Beauty (filmic look at society, Kevin's role/performance, even the music). Good film. 8/10

Well, at least other people don't have to bore themselves now you've ****ing spoiled it.

I had a "Happening" party recently. We all got loaded and watch The Happening. It was a huge success.

Its fun to pick a word in a movie, and everytime they say that word everyone has to take a shot. Like if watching Half Baked, every time they said weed, take a shot. Or everytime you hear Arnold say "Go" in any of his movies take a shot

Limitless - 5/10

Got some nice visuals, but it's really quite shit.

Howcome Robert Deniro only accepts extremely easy and unchallenging roles these days? I haven't seen him done a good performance in decades. The same goes for Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino and many other terrific actors of that generation.

I liked Dustin Hoffman in Barney's Version, but face it, they're all old. They don't have the energy to carry a leading role in anything but an old person drama.

I would give Limitless 8/10, it's a solid enjoyable movie about a "what if" scenario. It will be good if you let yourself into it. If you go in wanting to criticize things you will criticize things and not like it. Ending was not sad like I was expecting, which is sometimes a nice surprise.

lol at "old person drama"

barney's version is probably the most famous canadian novel by the most famous canadian author who isnt margret atwood. all kinds of young people have read it

I saw Blade Runner last night for the first time. My god, what a great film! I can't believe I never saw it before this. Great visuals, atmosphere, solid Harrison performance, Really want to make love to an android now. A++

Its fun to pick a word in a movie, and everytime they say that word everyone has to take a shot. Like if watching Half Baked, every time they said weed, take a shot. Or everytime you hear Arnold say "Go" in any of his movies take a shot

Or take a shot everytime Sam or Frodo did something gay in LotR.

Well, at least other people don't have to bore themselves now you've ****ing spoiled it.

My bad.

You'd come out of it pretty sober. There's a difference between homosexuality and friendship.

I know, I'm not trying to say Sam and Frodo are homosexuals. Forgive me my use of the term, amongst my social interactions 'gay' usually means something different to 'homosexual'. In this context it does anyway.

Snatch 10/10

Probably now my all time favorite movie. I love the diverse range of characters and the editing of the movie really goes along good with the action of it. Definitely recommend.

127 Hours 8/10

Solid movie, great performance, just not a big fan of movies that stay in one place the entire movie although I understand its a Based on a True Event. Anyway so glad I don't go rock climbing on my own lol

Back