First "external" video card for laptops:

hungryduck

Tank
Reaction score
Here is the first external video card built for laptops. It uses the Express card slots (basically a pci-express connection) and uses a 7900gs for its guts. Pretty cool if you ask me - would be useful if you have an nice small laptop that has a poor video card but you still want to game while at home.

mainvl6.jpg

http://pcexposure.com/2007/01/06/asus-unve ls-xg-station-the-worlds-first-external-graphics-card-for-laptops/

edit: how come I can't post images anymore? Theres no button in the "make new post" dialog for it and the IMG tags dont work.

Cool I guess, but I don't think that would be too practical. To me it just seems like a product where you can say "We did it", but I doubt it will get into the market fast...

I don't believe IMG tags work in the Hardware/Software forums.

That will be great for those who want a laptop with great battery life (sucky onboard video) but can just plug in external GFX like that.

Yeah, seems like a great idea for those who don't want a hulking great desktop replacement but would like to be able to play some games when they are at home.

I wonder if this is a one time thing, or if they'll keep updating and making these....a 7900gs is going to be out of date pretty soon...
and howcome IMG tags dont work in hardware software? Just curious....

Does this mean you can use it on any pc (including desktops) with a USB 2.0 and decent power supply? That would be freaking awesome, I probably won't get it though (damned price I bet)

Back