Flash causes Firefox to crash on specific Youtube pages

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
[copy-pasted from Reddit]

Flash version: 11.5.502.135
Firefox version: 17.0.1
Windows version: Win7 64-bit w/ latest updates

I recently reinstalled both of these in an attempt to solve the lockup. I used Adobe's Flash Uninstaller program along with manually deleting all Adobe, Flash, and Macromed folders in c:\windows\system32, \program files (x86), and \%APPDATA%, plus a system restart for good measure.
Most pages work fine, but specific Youtube videos seem to reliably cause the lockup.

This page causes Firefox/Flash to lock up: youtube.com/watch?v=AtTnFqWd6R8
This page does not: youtube.com/watch?v=6KTjnH0kZwk

When I access a Youtube or other flash-enabled page, two copies of FlashPlayerPlugin_11_5_502_135.exe *32 appear in my task manager, whether it causes a lockup or not.

Yes.

Or rather, it did. But now the crashes aren't happening on the video I linked, and I can't seem to get it to crash on anything yet today. Still running two copies of the Flash .exe. Very strange...

Update: The crashes do not occur in Chrome or IE, or at least not on the same videos (I don't use either enough to determine more than that), but now Firefox is crashing on a new video while still not crashing on the first one I linked to in this thread.

Look up a way to fully uninstall firefox, your problem most likely lay there. Also when you install flash, grab an installer from filehippo or something, rather than through adobe's site or whatever.

Format and reload windows. That is the only way.

But yeah, uninstall flash again. Then use CCleaner to clean out your temporary files and left over registry files. You could also use REVO uninstaller to save a few steps, but I can't remember if it does Flash uninstalls.

Ehh, I need to reformat anyway, I have a pair of SSDs I haven't switched over to yet. I'll report back once that's done. If it's still crashing after that I'll probably just quit the internet.

Back