Folding@Home - #96276

You can run two console clients. But as long as you use a password on your windows login, you might as well run 1 SMP client. 4x the points and uses both cores automatically. Only 1 thing to setup.

I am using the SMP client....aren't I?

Ahhh, ok, got it downloaded, and it's using all available CPU power. I guess my 2ghz Core2Duo isn't as good as I thought it was :p

I usually turn my computer off at night, does that mean I have to start over every time? If so I don't know if I'll ever be able to complete one work unit or whatever it's called. Is there possibly a "save and finish next time" feature or something of the likes of that?
Just trying to figure out how to get everything up and running properly.

If I'm not mistaken, it already starts where you left off when it loads next. At least, that's what it seems like to me.

What's weird, is the client that uses both cores saved me a whole...6ish minutes for 1% from the normal console version. I figured utilizing both cores would show a little bit more of a speed increase, lol.

hehe
WU = work unit

Are your clients out-of-date or are they stuck? Not very many units getting turned in this past week. I still need to update my brothers client. :O

So I just finished my first WU but I don't know if it sent in properly or not, I was gone when it finished but when I read the text inside the client and it said sucessfully submitted. Only thing is I don't see my name with my point value on the stats page, my nickname on the Folding Client is FieryGoose. I seached it but got no results, does that update timer at the top of the stats page refer to when stats are going to be updated? Maybe I should be more patient and just wait it out, either way I'm a little worried that It didn't work. Do you guys normally have to wait a bit to see that your WU got recorded?

Hmm, I can't work the SMP *or whatever* client since the beta expired on the 2nd, it says. How do I download the new one?

*this might be the step you skipped

Go to the FAH download site.
Scroll down to the High performance clients and download the 5.91 beta6 SMP client (just make sure it isn't the GPU one since it is next to it).
Install the file and it will put the new version into the "Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01" folder on your PC.
*Run the "Install.bat" from the "Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01" folder.
That should do it, then run FAH.exe in the same folder to actually run the SMP client.

I think I just joined, but I'm not sure. There is a molecule blob spinning around and a pie forming on my desktop. CPU is being taxed.

ya i dont even show up on the team yet. do you need at least one work unit to show up?

I think I just joined, but I'm not sure. There is a molecule blob spinning around and a pie forming on my desktop. CPU is being taxed.
sounds like it is working.
ya i dont even show up on the team yet. do you need at least one work unit to show up?
You are on there now since you turned in a WU (work unit). You should run the SMP version though. With your Core 2 duo you'd be spitting out 1760 points almost every day.

You are on there now since you turned in a WU (work unit). You should run the SMP version though. With your Core 2 duo you'd be spitting out 1760 points almost every day.

will do

alright 10mins for each percentage increase. not bad at all.

The WU I've been hammering out is 1500 frames and still has 14 hours left. I've got a e6300, but I can pop in a e6750. SMP version goes faster?

The WU I've been hammering out is 1500 frames and still has 14 hours left. I've got a e6300, but I can pop in a e6750. SMP version goes faster?

it doesn't go faster but it uses both cores and will earn you more points.

Ohs. Well with 13 hours or so to go, my comp crashed and won't turn back on. I'll have to get a new PSU before I can do anything. :/

Oh that sucks. Have ya tried just turning the PSU off for a bit and trying again? Hope nothing else would be broke with your PC.

PSU has been turned off all day. Nothing else is wrong with it. PSU has been acting up for a few months, causing random reboots.

either it is on its last legs or your pc isnt receiving enough power. could be a combination of the 2 though.

Just installed the graphical client on my work computer. Felt I might as well, and it required the least thought.

As I've got little to do currently, I might install the SMP client.

Nothing pretty to look at but it's got the points.

I'll do it tomorrow...

Advantage is I can leave my work computer on permanantly 24/7. Some extra points for you there :p

Edit: Ok, I installed the SMP client and it's running (technically). I need to leave it open, correct?

I need to leave it open, correct?
Si.
It should be running fine as long as it is at the "writing local files...Completed # out of # steps (%)" part.

If it ever gets stuck at the beginning with "entering M.D." and doesn't move on within like 5mins then restart the app.

edit:
I was just looking ahead on EOC stats and HL2.net could be within the top 1000 teams as early as 6-7 months. insane. (right side is an estimate of when HL2.net will overtake that team)
rank 2,588 atm

February

HL2.net
Current rank: 2,588
Last month's rank: 3,431
Estimated rank in 30 days: 1,987
Average weekly points: 29,364

Milestones
100,000: Pegasus
50,000: Naudian
25,000: Naudian
1,000: Arctandem, giant384

Some of you guys are close to a milestone too. A number of you are close to 5 or 10k. Sea is at just under 25k.

Fiddled with my PC and it finally turned back on. Previous WU is 100% lost. :/

10 hours to go AND IT SHUTS DOWN AGAIN.

**** THIS COMPUTER IN ITS STUPID ASS.

**** it.

Still waiting for my upgrades parts.

--
Oh mah data came back. Guess it was saved. Whee. Disregard post lolos.

My work machine appears to be folding no more than about 2 units every week. Is this right?

which one are you using druckles?

smp or GUI one.

the speed its done depends on your proccesor speed.

SMP. I anticipated it would be slower than the GUI. But it rarely meets its deadline. But then the processor isn't particularly impressive, either.

Even if the work unit expires every other time (you don't get points) you are still contributing more to the project than if you ran the regular client.

I've completed two. Do I have points yet?

I also fiddled with my PSUs wires and it shut down on me. I think one of them is just loose. Either way my new one is about to go in. Antec Truepower Trio 430W < Corsair VX550.

Back