Gordon Freeman in 90 Days.

M

MisterFreeman

Greetings to both Cosplay.com and Halflife2.net!

Hello there!

This is both my first post on Cosplay.com and Halflife2.net simultaneously. The reason I am doing this is because I believe I could benefit from posting the same thing on both communities hear both voices regarding my quest to become Gordon Freeman. I will be consulting Cosplay.com regarding design issues, how-tos, suggestions, and material ideas for the "Hazardous Environment Suit Mark V". I will be asking Halflife2.net for specifics about the suit, such as materials it is actually made out of, accurate and high-resolution images of the suit and Gordon himself, and for them to assess the accuracy of the suit I build as I give updates. If they say something needs to be changed or tweaked, I will do it.

An Introduction:

comparison.jpg

Here is a comparison of myself next to an official image of Gordon Freeman. Please excuse the crude webcam shot, as I have seemed to misplace the power supply to my digital camera. In any case, there is quite some resemblance, and I've been told this since before I even knew who Gordon Freeman was. My nose is a bit different, and I am currently dieting to achieve the more ?scrawny? look Gordon has. I've lost over 25 pounds since that photo was taken about a month ago. With the right haircut and goatee trimmings, I can look much more like him, and here is an example, right after a full day at the E for All expo, where I was recognized by quite a few individuals.

Enough of the chit-chat already:

Alright, here's where I'd like the communities' help. I can just begin working on a suit, and seeing how it turns out by ComicCon, but if I have people experienced in these fields, the process could become a lot less painful if I had some help. Here's a list of questions I have for each community:

Cosplay.com:
Fist off, here is the official in-game model of the H.E.V. Suit and two other pictures of Gordon Freeman for refrence.

1. 1.Looking at the mail-like armor on the suit, is there any type of fabric which can mimic this effect? I know I have this grey-mesh-like fabric on my backpack which is quite similar to what I want, but if anyone could point me to something I could find at a fabric-store/online, that would be fantastic!
  2. 2.I was planning on making the bigger, solid armor pieces out of styrofoam, then surrounding the styrofoam with fiberglass molding, like what people use to add modifications to their cars and such. I was wondering if anyone else out there had any different ideas on how to go about this. I had heard of a method involving bending cardboard and coating it with something to make it harden, but I'd be too worried that it would break easily or bend causing permanent creases in the design.
  3. 3.The gloves will need to be custom made, or modifications will be made to existing gloves, but frankly, I hate wearing gloves that are too thick. Is there such a thing as a very thin glove material that you don't really feel and it's almost as if you were using your hands normally?
  4. 4.I plan on wearing this all 4 days of the San Diego ComicCon, so it will need to be sturdy enough to last the convention while still being mobile enough to walk around in with too much difficulty. Keeping that in mind, I'm open to anything you guys might have for me.

Halflife2.net:
  1. 1.Alright guys, as you can see from the reference post for Cosplay.com, I only have so many low-resolution pictures of the H.E.V. Suit. Is there any type of concept art or designs given to the artist who produced these images? And if you have any higher-resolution images of anything I post here, that would be most appreciated, epically anything showing the rear of the suit.
  2. 2.Using Garry's Mod, I can easily get a good look at the in-game suit, but I don't believe this is enough. Would it be possible for someone to lay out the textures as they are mapped over the mesh object and provide a basic break-down of the polygons, or a wireframe version, of the H.E.V. Suit, or would this violate some kind of rule on the forums?
  3. 3.Does anyone know Gordon Freeman's approximate weight and height? I'd like to know this so I can attempt to achieve a proportional weight according to my height, which is 6 ft, or 1.83m.
  4. 4.If I do happen to get the suit done with remaining time before the convention, I would like to add some on board sound functionality, but I would require the raw files from the Half-Life 2 data, such as ?Minor Fracture Detected.? ?Morphine Administered.? depending on which button I press. Or would requesting such a thing also violate some forum rule? I have no intentions of illegal activity here, I am merely curious to see if people here can help me in any way they can in a legitimate way.
  5. 5.Is there anything I should know specifically about the H.E.V. Suit, like it's actual materials and such? I know Doctor Kleiner begins to speak about the suit's features, but is hurried by Barney or Alex, I can't remember who, haha. So any specific information about the suit would be most helpful.

A Thank You:

First, I would like to thank both of these communities for their dedication in both their respects. I consider you both the top-notch sites of your fields, and am really looking forward to listening to your comments, advice, suggestions, and critiques. It's such an honor to be working with you and it will be quite an honor if I even meet some of you at the 2008 San Diego ComicCon. Here's to the next 90 days! ~Cheers!

~MisterFreeman

Aka: Biggestsonicfan

Note: All major updates for this project will be cross-posted between the two sites.

First off: Awesome. Truly awesome :thumbs:
4.If I do happen to get the suit done with remaining time before the convention, I would like to add some on board sound functionality, but I would require the raw files from the Half-Life 2 data, such as "Minor Fracture Detected." "Morphine Administered." depending on which button I press. Or would requesting such a thing also violate some forum rule? I have no intentions of illegal activity here, I am merely curious to see if people here can help me in any way they can in a legitimate way.
Secondly: You can gain access to all game files with GCFScape. I assume you already halve HL2, so all you need to do is download this program, and poke around the HL2 files until you find what you're looking for. I'm going to give it a check now to see if I can find them :)

HEV sounds are in the root/hl2/sound/HL1/ folder of 'source sounds.gcf'.

Gordon Freeman is exactly 6ft tall I think.

HEV suit mark IV suit features (as in Half-Life 1 and its sound files):
  • Atmospheric contaminant sensors
  • Automatic medical systems
  • Communications interface
  • Munition level monitoring
  • High impact reactive armour
  • Power assist movement
  • Automatic target acquisition (there was an assisted aiming feature in HL1 on easy mode I think, and in the PS2 version too)
  • A clock
  • Vital sign monitoring
  • Defensive weapon selection system
  • A flashlight
  • Heads up display
  • Tracking devices
  • A gieger counter

HEV suit mark V extra features:
  • Zoom
  • Oxygen supply when underwater

If you want to get the HEV suit sound files from Half-Life 2 or Half-Life Source you can use GCFScape to extract them from the gcf files. If you want to get them from Half-Life 1 you can extract them from the pak files using the Half-Life model viewer.

Thank you all very much for your support!

Gazork0: Ah, thanks a lot! This program will be most useful for me when working on this project!

ChiliFan: Oh, so that's where they are, thanks!

Herr Mike: But of course they are =P

riomhaire: What a convenient coincidence, don't you think?

sgt niallr: Now this question will take a little bit longer to answer. My first encounter with cosplayers was at an event called VideoGames Live! It was a fantastic orchestra of various kinds of video game music. Before the actual show, there was a videogame cosplay contest. It was really amazing to see all these people dressed up like videogame characters, and I thought I'd like to give it a try, for fun.

Herr Mike: *shudders* I hope not....

riomhaire: Most excellent! Thank you very much for the information! While I don't think I will be able to include all of those things (a gieger counter, yikes), I think I could include a flashlight, communications interface, and perhaps my own addition of pockets, to keep my wallet and keys in, haha!

UPDATE: I plan on getting the initial mold for the body armor done this weekend. It will be out of cardboard, duct-tape and paste of some sort, but it will just be a mold for this new material I recently discovered called "Wonderflex". It's like a plastic I can form around the cardboard model, so as long as the cardboard version looks good, it will look good.

~MisterFreeman

Greetings Mr. Realism, I am MisterFreeman:

1. That is why I will be consulting Cosplay.com, the only real experience I've had is with halloween costumes, which haven't been mind-blowingly elaborate, but still, some skill is better than none.

2. I completely agree. I have found another substance called "Wonderflex", if you had read my second post, you might have been informed of this.

3. While I do understand this, it's not completely impossible to create something that at least looks similar.

4. As far as the sound goes, there are some rather nice soundboards out there which could easily be hooked up to a battery system and a small speaker. And no, I do not think I will be going as lab Gordon nor create yet another cheezy costume to mingle with the current ones that are already out there.

5. As far as the 90 days are concerned, I have no reason to believe I cannot do this. It is not like I am taking this project completely alone. I have quite a few friends around to help, such as with painting and sewing and that sort of thing. So to you Mr. Reality, I ask that you please take your crushing blows elsewhere, thank you.

~Mr. Freeman

What the hell is all this stuff? It's too long for me to read. Can someone sum it up in a sentence or two?

Dear Mr. Realism:

If you had mentioned the fact that you, in fact, have experience in this sort of field, I would not have attempted to create such a counter-argument.

As for your explaining your methods: 1. Try me. 2. Don't underestimate me. My mind is made up, and I will take as much effort as needed, as well as expenses.

As for this truthful advice in this "business", I really appreciate what you're telling me. You're telling me that what I am expecting and what I'm going to get ultimately are two very different things. You find it unreasonable to even try to attempt this, which is quite reasonable. However, I'm determined to get as far as I can within three months as humanly possible, weather I complete this project or not. There's always E for All.

As for my current actions, please forgive me, as I was not aware you had experience in this field, as I was relying more on cosplay.com for this sort of information and did not expect an expert in that type of field to appear on these forums, so please excuse me.

As for your explanation on how to cast the suit into fiberglass, thank you very much, this will probably become very useful for me. However to mock me at the end by saying it is fruitless merely because I am inexperienced is a bit harsh. Nonetheless, I will continue looking into my "Wonderflex" option.

As I said about the sound-feature of the suit, it will only be if I get around to it. I am not holding it as a high priority, but that isn't to say that it cannot be done at all. Yes, it might be a bit more complex with power conversion, mounting switches and all that, but this is a part of the suit that I had never planned on getting around to until after ComicCon.

In short, I'd like to say that I welcome any and all advice and criticisms you may provide. I would greatly appreciate it too.

~MisterFreeman

Dear Mr. Realism:

If you had mentioned the fact that you, in fact, have experience in this sort of field, I would not have attempted to create such a counter-argument.

As for your explaining your methods: 1. Try me. 2. Don't underestimate me. My mind is made up, and I will take as much effort as needed, as well as expenses.

As for this truthful advice in this "business", I really appreciate what you're telling me. You're telling me that what I am expecting and what I'm going to get ultimately are two very different things. You find it unreasonable to even try to attempt this, which is quite reasonable. However, I'm determined to get as far as I can within three months as humanly possible, weather I complete this project or not. There's always E for All.

As for my current actions, please forgive me, as I was not aware you had experience in this field, as I was relying more on cosplay.com for this sort of information and did not expect an expert in that type of field to appear on these forums, so please excuse me.

As for your explanation on how to cast the suit into fiberglass, thank you very much, this will probably become very useful for me. However to mock me at the end by saying it is fruitless merely because I am inexperienced is a bit harsh. Nonetheless, I will continue looking into my "Wonderflex" option.

As I said about the sound-feature of the suit, it will only be if I get around to it. I am not holding it as a high priority, but that isn't to say that it cannot be done at all. Yes, it might be a bit more complex with power conversion, mounting switches and all that, but this is a part of the suit that I had never planned on getting around to until after ComicCon.

In short, I'd like to say that I welcome any and all advice and criticisms you may provide. I would greatly appreciate it too.

~MisterFreeman

Well then you seem ready enough. With such a post we do expect alot.

Anyway ZTs done his zombie thing before sorry but i can't find the thread.

And as said, dont feel discouraged by ZT, hes just trying to *ahem Test you.

Just like to give some encouragement! This sounds awesome. Hope to see this at Comicon!

MisterFreeman, do you know halflifethemovie?

/conspiracy sense tingling

Yeah this is getting a little intense, considering it's about building a freaking Gordon Freeman suit.

MisterFreeman, don't get discouraged.

ZT, you seem to like stomping all over these threads. Just because you think it's too much work doesn't mean other people aren't willing to put this effort in. Warning them is fair enough, but stop going on at him, jeez.

Qft. He came here for help, so give him what he wants. Hmph! ...disapointed in you i am.

As above, good luck MisterFreeman, don't get discouraged. You'll get there if you put the effort in.

EDIT: Also, you'll have to remain absolutely silent in terms of verbal speech lol jokin... still, it would be pretty funny

Qft. He came here for help, so give him what he wants. Hmph! ...disapointed in you i am.

Guy- "I'm gunna make and bake a cake in 10 minutes, anyone know how?"
Baker-"No, you can't do that, you have to mix the cake batter and it takes at least 53 minutes to bake a small cake"
Guy- "...You're mean!"

I am fed up with this childish bullshit, I sense mild sarcasm in your post, but I am getting really sick of these juvenile responses pointing at me as some big meany. He came here for information and that's exactly what I gave him, and I did it in an honest, not rude manner.

Secondly, I don't have to give him anything, but I did. When someone gives you advice or wisdom from their mistakes, and their experiences, you take it and you attempt to learn from it, you don't throw a f*cking hissy fit.

Thirdly, I know I'm by no means an art god, but in my "tough love" posts I've actually given him more valuable information than anyone has on this thread.

Fourthly, it seems that he is no longer "offended" by what I said, so why are we continually crying over this?

Several of my posts are loaded with tid bits of how an actual suit would be made, what would and wouldn't work.
When someone who knows what would and wouldn't work in a process of making such a thing tells you what wouldn't work, that is help. Take it any other way and you are being sensitive and if anything disrespectful to them when they have taken the time to inform you of something.

Notice everyone who thinks I am being mean ironically has very little understanding of how to make this. Coincidence?

If Mr. Freeman want's some specific advice on some specific aspects of how to go about it, he can PM me and I'll gladly advise him from my knowledge and the knowledge of others to the best of my abilities.

Alright guys, this is getting extremely out of hand!

First, I must clarify something to zombieturtle: I had no intention for a Hollywood quality suit. My intentions were to create a nice looking suit, better than the existing cardboard and duct tape version ones out there already. Perhaps after ComicCon, I will experiment with fiberglass and clay molding further until I feel more comfortable to take on a huge project such as you've described.

And guys, he's right. I came here with questions and he's giving me answers, so you all should really stop with the personal attacks.

I sincerely apologize about this entire mess zombieturtle, and it was never my intention for it to end up like this.

Alright, here's an update:

I've already made the mold of my chest, and am forming a temporary cardboard mold for the chest armor. I will, in fact, be using the wonderflex for most of the costume. While the wonderflex may not be able to make as tight curves as I may want, it will still get the job done, and is extremely lightweight.

The problem I am facing now is what fabric I should use for the jumpsuit. It almost looks like upholstery fabric... which I would prefer not using... anyone got any other ideas? If not, I'm pretty sure I can get ahold of some mesh fabric and attach it to a leotard for a somewhat similar effect.

The elastic material appears almost to be made of some type of Kevlar... Getting your hands on that, though, good luck.

Zombieturtle is probably right, wear that stuff he can't seem to name. (I hope you're not thinking of Spandex)?

As an afterthought, going as a Lambda rebel would be pretty cool.

Back