Half Life 2: Episode 2 Screen Freezing Bug

JustifiedGlory

Headcrab
Reaction score
I've noticed a bug in HL2:EP2 where the screen freezes after a few seconds. You can still interact with the menus and such but the general screen is frozen. Can anyone tell me how to fix this and if not tell me who to contact about it? Thank you.

You need to be a bit more thorough. Perhaps you can give us a screenshot of some sort?

What is there to screenshot? The sound bugs and the screen just freezes. All it would look like is a picture of the menu.

I don't have any other potential solutions other than verifying your cache or reinstalling the game.

I had a similar issue in HL2, but only happened in specific parts of the game and returned to normal a few seconds later. Have you tried to contact support?

HL2 is infamous for a sound stuttering glitch, but haven't heard this for EP2. Never encountered this personally for EP2, but what are your system system specs? Only thing I could remotely think of is possibly an error stemming from game settings.

I had a similar issue in HL2, but only happened in specific parts of the game and returned to normal a few seconds later. Have you tried to contact support?
"Can anyone tell me how to fix this and if not tell me who to contact about it?"

Steam support is your best bet, although their slow at best, and it's likely that you won't recieve a helpful answer.

Try these potential solutions:
  • Go to your Steam library, right click Episode Two, in the General tab go to 'Set Launch Options...' and put in "-windowed" and then try that and see what happens...
  • You could try deleting the folder Steam\SteamApps\<your name>\half-life 2 episode two.
  • Try running some of the preset installers of C++, .net framework, DirectX and such. These installers are found in the game's installation folder, or a subfolder, found in the following location by default, most likely in the bin folder:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\<game_name>\

• Newer Source games require SSE in order to function properly. Please ensure that your processor includes SSE support. The instructions are found right here.
If none of these are viable solutions to finding the problem, I have no bloody idea what else you could do. Best of luck to ya.

I have the same issue as Justified Glory, except it happens every five minutes, its extremely glitchy and the screen keeps freezing. So Lolcomputer, what happens when you put "Windowed" into the launch options? does it make the screen smaller? If you read this please answer back.

Back