Halp me choose a car

I'm gonna back Akira on this, and so will any automotive critic or engineer who doesn't have a product to sell. The Japanese had, hands down, the best zippy cars of the 80s and 90s. The Taurus SHO was a nice little machine, but it still does not have the same build quality. The only time period that compares when it comes to customizability are the 60s muscle cars, and overall the handling on the Japanese machines is better. If we're talking tuner/project cars, Nissan & Hondas from the early 90s are hands-down the best cars for the price. Period. End of story.

Late-90s Civics and the entire 90s ZX/SX series from Nissan were and continue to be some of the baddest rice-burners out there. Sure, you could spend 50K on a brand-new car that would destroy them in every category, but it's also a 50,000 dollar car. For 6K the Japanese 90s models beat the everloving shit out of any American/German counterpart.

My work here is done. I don't know jack shit about cars and I've said as much many times throughout the years, but every time a car thread comes up I get somebody in a fluster:D.

You've just admitted outright your only purpose here was to troll and you know ****-all about cars. Nice job.

Except derp de derp way to continue ignoring that the car you suggested was still only like 1/6 the of his budget price akira. But hey if it gets you wet good for you.

You picked the wrong person to argue with about cars, partner.

Seriously, I don't know shit. Try that guy over there. In the car.

Except derp de derp way to continue ignoring that the car you suggested was still only like 1/6 the of his budget price akira. But hey if it gets you wet good for you.

what the hell are you talking about? aside from you barely being able to form a coherent sentence, how about elaborating a bit? what specific suggestion are you talking about?

I checked your suggestion of the Toyota MR-2. They cost like $1k here. I'd be surprised if the best car he could afford was $5k below his limit... seems more like you're simply suggesting cars you're a fan of which only meet the rather wide criteria of "light and fast", without thinking much about sinkoman's price range.

Newer cars aren't necessarily better, sure, but on average they're more likely to be in better condition, will last one longer, and are easier to get parts for than older cars.

But yeah 90's is just silly, for his price he could get a used Mazda RX8, Audi TT and so on.

well since the thread is about cars, you sort of implied that you'd rather buy German cars over Japanese cars, but you justified that using tanks from WWII...

I said I'd buy them over Japanese cars because Germans have a HISTORY of making cooler shit. Thats not comparing cars to tanks by any stretch of imagination and certainly cannot be implied when I directly stated my meaning. Besides, its not like I'd actually make my decision based off that. T'was a joke my dear friend.

I checked your suggestion of the Toyota MR-2. They cost like $1k here. I'd be surprised if the best car he could afford was $5k below his limit... seems more like you're simply suggesting cars you're a fan of which only meet the rather wide criteria of "light and fast", without thinking much about sinkoman's price range.

Newer cars aren't necessarily better, sure, but on average they're more likely to be in better condition, will last one longer, and are easier to get parts for than older cars.

But yeah 90's is just silly, for his price he could get a used Mazda RX8, Audi TT and so on.

This post screams "I have no idea what I'm talking about".

First, the MR-2 TURBO was what I suggested, not the NA version. The Turbo goes for a lot more than $1k, more like $5-8k (depending on condition). Me liking the cars has nothing to do with the fact that Japanese sports cars from the 90's offer the best bang for your buck in terms of reliability, performance, price and build quality compared to any other make in that era.

RX-8, is more than $6k and if there are one's going for less than 10 that means the rotary is due for a rebuild. Rotary engines are NOT reliable and require a hell of a lot of maintenance to keep them in running condition - and even then they don't last much past 100-150k miles.

Audi TT? LOL dude you're just making this way too easy for me. Aside from the fact that you can't get them for $6k do you know how much parts and labour costs for these things? Any German car is far more unreliable than the japanese cars I have mentioned not the mention the fact that when something does go wrong you're going to get destroyed on parts and labour.

Keep going though, you're on a roll of not knowing what you're talking about.

I said I'd buy them over Japanese cars because Germans have a HISTORY of making expensive shit. Thats not comparing cars to tanks by any stretch of imagination and certainly cannot be implied when I directly stated my meaning. Besides, its not like I'd actually make my decision based off that. T'was a joke my dear friend.

Fixed that for you.

I said I'd buy them over Japanese cars because Germans have a HISTORY of making cooler shit. Thats not comparing cars to tanks by any stretch of imagination and certainly cannot be implied when I directly stated my meaning. Besides, its not like I'd actually make my decision based off that. T'was a joke my dear friend.

Making that post when the thread is about cars and more specifically the argument is about German cars vs Japanese cars then one would naturally assume that you're implying you'd rather have a German car than a Japanese car based on WWII tanks. Anyone else make that assumption too?

This post screams "I have no idea what I'm talking about".

First, the MR-2 TURBO was what I suggested, not the NA version. The Turbo goes for a lot more than $1k, more like $5-8k (depending on condition). Me liking the cars has nothing to do with the fact that Japanese sports cars from the 90's offer the best bang for your buck in terms of reliability, performance, price and build quality compared to any other make in that era.I

RX-8, is more than $6k and if there are one's going for less than 10 that means the rotary is due for a rebuild. Rotary engines are NOT reliable and require a hell of a lot of maintenance to keep them in running condition - and even then they don't last much past 100-150k miles.

Audi TT? LOL dude you're just making this way too easy for me. Aside from the fact that you can't get them for $6k do you know how much parts and labour costs for these things? Any German car is far more unreliable than the japanese cars I have mentioned not the mention the fact that when something does go wrong you're going to get destroyed on parts and labour.

Keep going though, you're on a roll of not knowing what you're talking about.

Haha sure, I didn't realise you yardsnks must just get screwed over on car prices. There are plenty of rx8s and tts here for the equivalent of 6k usd, even with our rather high sales tax...

Haha sure, I didn't realise you yardsnks must just get screwed over on car prices. There are plenty of rx8s and tts here for the equivalent of 6k usd, even with our rather high sales tax...

Ok, let's say there are actually TT's for $6k...what's the mileage like on them? Regardless it still doesn't change the fact that they cost 2-5x more to maintain and fix than an older Japanese sports car with equivalent performance. The RX-8 is a great car and I love the Wankel engine but it is notorious for failing and for using a lot of gas and oil. You have to follow maintenance schedules religiously and follow cold startup protocols to the T to prevent engine flooding. Not something you have to deal with the cars I suggested.

My Millennium Falcon can complete the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs!

RXVjr.jpg

Making that post when the thread is about cars and more specifically the argument is about German cars vs Japanese cars then one would naturally assume that you're implying you'd rather have a German car than a Japanese car based on WWII tanks.

Only if you were an overly defensive fool who had never heard a joke before.

I missed hl2.net :)

anyway...sinkoman hows the car search coming along?

Subaru WRX

You could get an 02/03 for around that price and it'll be more reliable than any of the other cars available in the same price range. They're damn quick as well.

I missed hl2.net :)

anyway...sinkoman hows the car search coming along?

Interestingly I guess. I've found a lot of deals that seem to jump out at me, but nothing that I really feel compelled to jump on right now. I think at this point, i'm trying to just take as much time as possible with this, because it seems like every other day, i'll change my mind about what I want. At first I was all about the RWD, but right now i'm really in love with the Subarus.

First I was all about a turbo GSR CR-V-Tec project. Leave the stock B20 trans, and i'll probably have the only boosted AWD GSR in the entire state (until my diff blows up :p)! Of course i'm not gonna do this, but I think I just might have to keep this CR-V, and some day years from now, do a hybrid v-tec conversion.

The boosted civic my buddy's buddy is selling still calls me, but I don't think I can happily own a FWD car.

I found a lot of deals on 300zx's, but no twin turbo ones. I also found an AWD twin turbo 3000gt with four wheel steering :)O), only like 94k mi :)O), but I don't think I could own that car. It's kind of the opposite of what i'm looking for.

Course i've found plenty of 240sx's too, but **** those cars already.

Right now, the gameplan i'm pretty set on is, i'm actually gonna stretch my budget and pinch pennies for an S2000, but in the meantime, i'm gonna keep my eyes out for an Impreza 2.5 RS for sub 5k. If I can find one, imma jump on it and do a WRX conversion. Correct me if i'm wrong, but all that car would need would need (aside from the body kit), would be a turbo kit and new suspension, yes/no?

Subaru WRX

You could get an 02/03 for around that price and it'll be more reliable than any of the other cars available in the same price range. They're damn quick as well.

Oh my gawsh it's you :V!!

Interestingly I guess. I've found a lot of deals that seem to jump out at me, but nothing that I really feel compelled to jump on right now. I think at this point, i'm trying to just take as much time as possible with this, because it seems like every other day, i'll change my mind about what I want. At first I was all about the RWD, but right now i'm really in love with the Subarus.

First I was all about a turbo GSR CR-V-Tec project. Leave the stock B20 trans, and i'll probably have the only boosted AWD GSR in the entire state (until my diff blows up :p)! Of course i'm not gonna do this, but I think I just might have to keep this CR-V, and some day years from now, do a hybrid v-tec conversion.

The boosted civic my buddy's buddy is selling still calls me, but I don't think I can happily own a FWD car.

I found a lot of deals on 300zx's, but no twin turbo ones. I also found an AWD twin turbo 3000gt with four wheel steering :)O), only like 94k mi :)O), but I don't think I could own that car. It's kind of the opposite of what i'm looking for.

Course i've found plenty of 240sx's too, but **** those cars already.

Right now, the gameplan i'm pretty set on is, i'm actually gonna stretch my budget and pinch pennies for an S2000, but in the meantime, i'm gonna keep my eyes out for an Impreza 2.5 RS for sub 5k. If I can find one, imma jump on it and do a WRX conversion. Correct me if i'm wrong, but all that car would need would need (aside from the body kit), would be a turbo kit and new suspension, yes/no?

I'm not 100% on if the WRX engine will just plop into the 2.5rs bay with minimum changes - best bet would be to find subaru specific forums and ask. I do know however that there are A LOT of 2.5RS-WRX swaps around so you should be able to find all the info very easily.

S2k would be an awesome car to own, 9k redline, rwd and 245hp + the reliability of a Honda. Can't go wrong with that.

I'm not 100% on if the WRX engine will just plop into the 2.5rs bay with minimum changes - best bet would be to find subaru specific forums and ask. I do know however that there are A LOT of 2.5RS-WRX swaps around so you should be able to find all the info very easily.

S2k would be an awesome car to own, 9k redline, rwd and 245hp + the reliability of a Honda. Can't go wrong with that.

Hmm, the more and more I look into the Subie as a project, the less and less I like the idea.

Turbo Miata is the next idea on the cutting board. Probably cost a buttload less too.

Hmm, the more and more I look into the Subie as a project, the less and less I like the idea.

Turbo Miata is the next idea on the cutting board. Probably cost a buttload less too.

If you like AWD, maybe an R32 GT-R? Only downside is that it's RHD, not sure how you feel about that.

I had around ~6k when I was looking for my car this summer. Only reason why I didn't go for a 300zx is its 3.0L engine and gas up here is $1.30/Liter so I would've been raped on my 120km drive/day to school.

If you like the Miata I highly suggest trying 2nd gen MR2 Turbo's.

Excuse the awesome 90's of the video but it gives a really good review on the 300zx twin turbo, MR2 turbo and RX7:

Can't believe I've missed this thread, lol. I know you said you're not a fan of FWD, but I would suggest a 5th gen Prelude like mine. :D

DSC01281.jpg

They're extremely reliable, mine has 276K on it and is still running fantastic. Even though they are FWD, they handle as well if not better than a lot of RWD cars, at least the Super Handling versions do.

lol no trolling here, just arguing using facts instead of blind poo flinging like krynn displayed earlier.

I don't believe any of the last few posts are halping Sinkoman choose a car.

Here are some good video reviews of some cars that you might be interested in. Some of them are FWD just incase you end up changing your mind:

Nissan 300zx TT(starts at 4:35):
[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/bajabusta#p/search/1/beRNRYv10B8[/video]

4th Gen Honda Prelude:

5th Gen Honda Prelude:

AP1 S2000:

AP2 S2000(probably around $12-$15k, here for comparison sake):

2002 Subaru WRX:

Back