HL2 unable to open correctly. Help please!

ItchyFish

Reaction score
Hi, ive got HL2 on my computer through preloading etc, but when i come to run the game after the usual VALVe man video and the credits with all of the Rights etc, i the come to the screen of a City17 blurred and it says loading in a small grey box in the bottom right then crashses to desktop. No box comes up saying error or anything.

I tried right clicking on HL2 and going Properties>Launch Options and changed it so that the game was in a box, but it crashes at the same point, but says "34122 memory" or something like that.

Please help me.

I have exactly the same problem.

My system amd64 3200, abit 3rd eye motherboard, 1gig geil memory, and an ati 9600xt. tried reloading that source models thing no joy now downloading half-life source

same here

i sentance HL2 makers death by hanging this game is shamefull with its relyabilty trying to find people it actully works with. Goes to show what rushing a game will do should have saved the time and did abit more work on it.

This is exactly what I'm looking for an answer to!

What the hell? I have exactly the same problem.

The game goes from the Valve logo and then into a loading screen and then freezes there for ever.

And here I was thinking I was doing a good thing by supporting developer delivery. Just goes to show you a publisher may still have a place in the whole equation.

I'm waiting Valve. I want to play this game. I paid for this game. Let me play your goddamn game.

I have the exact same problem.

Seriously VALVe ... could you clear this up for us? At least let us know what we have to do to fix this, please.

Unfortunately for me my ADSL subscription ended last week so I've been activating by dial-up - no problems... but if I have to re-download 4GB i'm pretty much screwed!

PLEASE VALVE - COME UP WITH A FIX.

Oh my god this is terrible, all of you guys, plus countless others have the same problem as me.

I changed my drivers rom Omega ones ( for my ati radeon 9880 pro ) to the new 4.11 catalyst and still nothing.

I can play CS : S fine, so whats so wrong with HL2? Come on, my dads playing it next door to me on a worse machine but i CANT play :( .

Please Gabey where u at?

Re-Downloading Right Now

And not happy about it. Hopefully this fixes something.

Won't be able to play until after work now either.

Argh.

Same problem for me

AMD 64 3200+
1gb ddr
Nvidia GT6800

Windows xp sp2

I deleted my game files, then added my dads ( his works on his comp ) but it still does the same thing.

well i've downloaded the halflife source files and that plays fine as does cs source.

I was wondering weather to go down to game and try the dvd rom version as they have no quibble return policy.......

yes perhaps. See if it makes a difference.

I just run the game on my dads computer, and we get the City17 blurred loading screen, he gets that too but afterwards he goes to a lake scene blurred loading screen, and then to the main menu screen.

I have got exactly the same files as my dads, and my own ones i downloaded myself, so i guess it must be my hardware?

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2500, ~2.0Ghz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128Mb Version(4.11 catalyst driver))
Soundblaster Live! Soundcard
1024Mb RAM
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Well before i go and try a retail version, i'm just re downloading it, to see it that works should know in 30 min...........

I'm using the same drivers as you as well.

right then deleteing the files and redownloading them worked played the first 5 mins everything seems fine. Off now to explore!!!!

I think the problem is it's not done downloading. I have a bandwidth meter and noticed something was downloading over 200kB/sec, then I noticed the steam icon says "Working" when I hovered over it. If you go to play games > half life 2 > (right click) > properties, then look at "Amount required" you will see its only at 50% +/- and gradually increases over time. It is pretty slow..

Let me know if this helps any.

fuel said:
right then deleteing the files and redownloading them worked played the first 5 mins everything seems fine. Off now to explore!!!!

OoOoooo im going to re-download it now then, 30 mins? for 3 gigs, what connection you got? its going to take me 3 hours or so and ive got 1 Mbit : (

I have the same problem, I freaked out and did a COMPLETE WINDOWS REINSTALL, and am now re-downloading the game. it better work!

Similar problem:

Game loads onto the main screen fine. When I chose New Game, it will load unto the a HL2 logo

then I hear a *bing*, and the game just disappears and Im on my Desktop.
Uninstalled drivers, tried the 4.11, same thing. Nothing else running on PC.
One time I got the G-Man says "wake up Mr Freeman", then his face goes
all grey, and the same thing.
Now downloading the 4.12 drivers to see if that helps.

Reading other forums, a lot of people are getting the same issue.

Spec:

Win XP Pro
P4 2.8G
ATi 9800XT
512 RAM
DirectX 9.0c

Exact Problem

I too am having the exact same problems. I am running Windows XP Pro, an NVidia 5200, and currently have the newest drivers. I've been up all night trying to figure out the problem.

Basically, I load up to the screen with the ValvE dude, I get to the blurry city loading screen, then WHITE! All white. My screen goes white, and doesn't respond.

I ain't gonna reinstall anything, or spend anymore time with this game. Steam forums suck, also, and there isn't any responses from Valve. I f*cking hate this.

I was having the same issue. I was just sitting at "Loading" screen.
I did a couple things
updated my 5700Ultra drivers to the NEW 66.93
used msconfig to disable a bunch of services (free up ram) and all startup programs

eventually I got HL2 to load but it was SLOW as a fuking dog... Like killin my comp (512MB RAM AMD 1920MHz), seemed like something was running in backround.
Did two more things. First, right-clicked on my computer then properties.
Then the "Advanced" tab -> "Settings" button under performance
And made sure the "Proograms" Radio buttons are selected.
Then, like the other poster, I checked steam and "monitor"ed hl2 and I was at 87%. So I sat for about 30 mins and now its at....Hold on 93% with ~400 kb/s :( Hurry up dammit, HL2 works now but not while it's downloading. Too resource intesive.

It might be that your half-life 2 is not done downloading. In an act of stupidy, vavle has made it so the last parts of HL2 are download throught the monitor. Right-click on HL2 and click properties. If it's not a 100% then it's still Downloading on to your computer. I hope this helps.

EDIT: anyone know how to stop a file from Downloading in steam? I have half-life:source and HL2 downloading at the same time and i want to stop it....

yep they dont. I remember reading that somewhere in the forum and decided to spread the word. Thank for the find.

--> unable to open correctly FIXED<--

:) :) I had the same problems with the loading sequence, ( white screen etc...)
I enabled console in steam - games - hl2 (right mouse) - properties - startoptions : "-console"
and now its fine :bounce:

dont care... back to explore

:p

ItchyFish, I have EXACTLY the same specs as you and exactly the same problem!

Ive spent all day checking software;

Installed latest Catalyst drivers
Reinstalled DirectX 9.0c
Installed latest VIA Hyperion Chipset Drivers
Even did ALL possible windows upadtes (xp pro sp2)

I wonder is this is an SP2 issue? Does anyone have it working on XP Pro sp2?

Im redownloading files now but dont hold out much hope after what youve said re: copying your dads files.

Im annoyed at this whole new process of distribution. Its not even any cheaper! It cost me £32 for the bronze version which I could have ordered from GAME online for £29.99! I swore I wouldnt bother buying it out of principle but as an old time HalfLife addict I couldnt resist. Wish I had more willpower!

BTW, Fuel, GAME Shop stopped it "no quibble garuantee" you'll only get your money back on games that you cant play online due to too much key stealing!

Update: I just redownloaed the models.gcf but still no joy :( I'll try the whole lot overnight.

I'm re-downloading at the moment...I'll also try the console thing.

pentagon said:
yep...exactly what i said 10 posts ago, ppl don't read

No, that is not my problem. The game doesn't f*cking load the menu!

Same problem here! Loading screen appears for 15 seconds or so and then bang, back to the desktop. No error message. The strange thing is it worked for a couple of hours and then suddently i got this. I've tried copying in the .gcf-files again but nothing happend. I've also tried to install everything again but no result. I'm running Windows 2000 with SP4 and have a ATi 9500 Pro with the latest Catalyst drivers. And i have the retail dvd version.

Edit: And btw, yes, "Amount acquired" is 100% and it's ready to play. And Counter-Strike: Source works fine.

Anyone got a clue whats going on? I'd have thought since they gave themselves an extra year to get it out it could at least work!

Im currently re-downloading the whole thing but I dont see how it can be a bad download issue as theres people with the DVD with the same problem.

Mine was at 100% so discount that it wasnt fully downloaded. As per previous post ive done all possible software tests & upgrades. Ive tried numerous different startup switches and even tried modifying the registry ( i have restored it to original for further testing).

Im at a loss now! If this re-download dont work, as I dont expect it to im stuck, out of idea's! I wanna play this game! Well I did, im rapidly going off the whole idea and might be looking at valves refund policy.

Any suggestions, anyone? on any posts in this thread??

DALYS,

Same here man - exactly, except I have a 9800 pro. But it worked for a while before and then just quit working. CS works fine.

Well I have the DVD version. And I cant even get past the start up to play the game, it says preparing HL2 and then 1 min later "unable to authenticate original disc within time limit"

But I have the same system specs as some of you.
Abit mobo
AMD64 3400+
1 gig geil RAM
X800 Pro

I bet once I actually get into the game this shit will happen to me. So bacisly I'm ****ed. But I dont know if this will happen to me yet or not. But it seems god is doing everything in his power to stop me from playing this game so who knows. And when I say god I mean Valve.

I have the exact same problem and I also believe it have not completed downloading. Mine says at 54%, but at the same time it says it have completed. When I go to properties for halflife2 it says it requires updating, but it doesn't. I also believe the game isnt downloading 200 kByte/sec; its going at 200 kbit/sec. Does anyone know how to force update the game without having to load it?

Game loads onto the main screen fine. When I chose New Game, it will load unto the a HL2 logo

then I hear a *bing*, and the game just disappears and Im on my Desktop.
Uninstalled drivers, tried the 4.11, same thing. Nothing else running on PC.
A few times I got the G-Man says "wake up Mr Freeman", then his face goes
all grey, and the same thing. Another time I got the train section and before I could do anything it happened again.
Now downloading the 4.12 drivers to see if that helps.

Spec:

Win XP Pro
P4 2.8G
ATi 9800XT & 9100
512 RAM
Tried with and without the onboard sound.

Also got the below errors:
hlbug.jpg
hlbug2.jpg

Back