Homeworld IP sold to anonymous buyer.

The coin is in the air! Will it be a publisher wishing to bury the franchise in a vault until the day it decides to launch a Free to Play iPad MOBA called Homeworld: Origins? or someone who actually wants to relaunch the franchise on the PC?

I would be happy to see the first two games appear digitally somewhere, it's always sad when a game exists only in eBay limbo.

i dont like this. i played HW1 + Catalcysm until i wore out my old intellimouse on Win 98, so Homeworld holds a special place in my heart

recent franchise reboots to diablo, x-com, simcity, tomb raider, devil may cry all sucked ass and i can see the trend continuing with a HW reboot. tribes and bioshock are the only two exceptions that come to mind.

as much as id like to see a Dota2 style PVE Homeworld reboot that allows you to fly individual ships while commanding individual squadron, (like Freelancer 2 or Freespace 2) i dont see it happening.

The Homeworld Complex Mod for HW2 is absolutely spectacular and pretty much turns HW2 into HWDota2. it is enough (to me atleast) to let to the franchise die and develop a new franchise based off of what made HW famous. The Simple Complex Mod adds some more Dota-esque elements and gametypes as well.

SOTSE and SOTSE:R are phenomenal. the majority mod community for SOTSE was pretty much sucked out of the HW2 mod community when it was released.

any new HW title would have to compete with the likes of SOTSE, Starcraft 2, Star Citizen, SOB (lolololol) and a few other space titles that are being developed or kickstarted, because in order to innovate...HW would have to be an FPS/RPG + RTS.

Space Shooters/Space Sims/Space RPGs are the next big video game trend. Just like MMO's were huge when WOW was at it's peak, and TOR oversaturated everything. just like when WWII Shooters were popular when COD3, Wolfenstien and MOH:Airborne were released.

Bioware & EA shit the bed with Mass Effect 3, which blew the door wide open for the rest of the industry to make better space-themed titles. It is about to start happening.

</rediculous_speculations>

You talk like you have the deep insight of a gaming trends visionary, but I continue to only perceive hasty jumps in rhetoric and logic.

Anyways, I want more Homeworld, please and thank you.

inb4 Homeworld FPS.

You talk like you have the deep insight of a gaming trends visionary, but I continue to only perceive hasty jumps in rhetoric and logic.

Anyways, I want more Homeworld, please and thank you.

it is my opinion. no one is forcing you to believe it.

and i agree, i want more homeworld too. but not at the cost of modern day "AAA game development"

Reactions: MFL
I'll remain neutrally curious until we find out who bought it. Then it's time for either hype or jaded cynicism.

recent franchise reboots to diablo, x-com, simcity, tomb raider, devil may cry all sucked ass and i can see the trend continuing with a HW reboot. tribes and bioshock are the only two exceptions that come to mind.

The new XCOM was great and most of the others aren't reboots.

XCOM was far better than the abysmal idea of "a Dota2 style PVE Homeworld".

"Gearbox Software buys Homeworld IPs. Aims to distribute Homeworld and Homeworld 2 to digital platforms."

Hot diggity damn. And to think I just started up my remembrance LP of HW2 a few weeks ago.

I'll remain neutrally curious until we find out who bought it. Then it's time for either hype or jaded cynicism.

The new XCOM was great and most of the others aren't reboots.

compared to xcom: ufo defense, it is absolute crap. we can grovel over semantics but we both know video games are art. what one person hates, may inspire another.

guess what? the Dota2 style PVE Homeworld idea actually works. have you played HW2Complex or SimpleComplex?

I THINK IT WORKS OUT WELL. the only thing that stopped me from playing it was performance issues.

"Gearbox Software buys Homeworld IPs. Aims to distribute Homeworld and Homeworld 2 to digital platforms."

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wow

its like when mario lemieux announced he was coming back from retirement!

I may or may not be making this into a 'modern' FPS shooter using my trust fund that I totally have I promise.

Eejit said:

I literally had a little seizure reading that. Was that actually a design goalpost?

Here's an idea: If you intend to read a thread all the way through, do so before making your reply.

And an alternative: Use the edit button that has been on this forum for the 9 years you've been here.

OH MY BAD LORD FORUM GOD VEGETA MY APOLOGIES FOR DEFYING YOU. I CLEARLY DID NOT KNOW THE METHODS YOU SUGGESTED. SORRY FOR MAKING YOUR LIFE JUST THAT MUCH WORSE.

Fine. I'll stop. It's 2v1. :(

edit: I'm not suggesting any sort of bias or otherwise sexually stimulating relationship going on here, but you both seem to agree on a lot of other issues too. Seriously, it's uncanny.

Ah and meowth shows up. This is well and hilarious.

edit: dehumanize yourself and face to blooeshed, you three

1214704249407.gif

I came here to see how upset people would be about this and instead I find...I don't even know.

Have you given Company of Heroes a go? I thought I hated all contemporary RTS until I just this last week played some CoH co-op with a friend.

Back