how well will this game run on my PC?

Pain86

Reaction score
The game looks amazing but i'm wondering if i should get it for my pc or 360.

I want to play it the way its meant to be played.

So heres my specs.My pc is just over 2 years old.

Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 3200+
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVIDIA® nForce2™ SPP Motherboard DDR
Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2x512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON™ 9800 XT 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA 7200rpm w/ 8MB Cache - Quantity 1
Optical Drive One: Plextor Plexwriter Premium 52x32x52 CD-RW - Black
Optical Drive Two: Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD±R/W Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 6.1
Network Card: NVIDIA® Integrated 100Mb Ethernet Modem: US Robotics 56K Voice Modem PCI
Floppy Drive & Additional Storage: 1.44 MB Floppy Drive - Black
Floppy Drive & Additional Storage: Alienware® USB 2.0 128MB Flash Drive
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional UK
Monitor: Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 19" 930SB BK - Space Black - Quantity 1
Speakers: Logitech® 5.1 Z-680 THX

It will run on medium settings.

Can I ask, what does a CDRW or Floppy drive have to do with how well a game will run? :p

The more important question is...how do you feel about frontal male nudity?

Shodan said:
It will run on medium settings.

Can I ask, what does a CDRW or Floppy drive have to do with how well a game will run? :p

lol,i just copied & pasted it without going through the list.

Medium settings huh? meh i want to play this game the way its meant to be played.. it looks unreal on the 360.

It will look and run far, far better on the 360 than your current pc. My brother runs Oblivion on a considerably more pwerful rig than yours (x850), and the 360 still blows it out of the water.

Oblivion is also perfectly suited to playing with a pad, even better than with a m&k imo. (This is assuming you're half competent with a pad and not one of those ppl that runs about shooting the walls/floor/sky the second fighting starts ;))

Of course, you won't get the mods available for the pc

Course I still win in the end with my new rig. With a few tweaks and such, it still looks better than my friend's xbox 360 version. (Grass draws further, water improved, etc.) Mods rule

//edit

Much depends on how you enjoy playing games like Oblivion. I prefer being able to sit back on a sofa and play on a big screen. Sure, you can output from pc to tv, but that's often hassle - you have to fiddle about with wires, set up a little table infront of the sofa for m&k, and then put it all away again afterwards (been here and done that ;))

I've played Oblivion on a friends SLI rig, and on the same screen it certainly looks better than the 360 version (which, considering one gfx card cost as much a 360, you'd expect), but still wasn't as smooth, or, imo, look as good as on a big HDTV. There's also no analogue movement on the pc version - which is a pet hate of mine.

Each version has it's pros and cons. Having a choice between them is only good for us gamers :)

I know the PC has all the mods and all the extra cool stuff but i never really bother with that stuff... so it doesnt bother me if id be missin out.

Thanks for posting and making my mind up for me.. 360 it is! :cheers:

It'll look fine on your monitor - play around with the res settings in the 360 dash untill you find one you like.

Hey guys, 4 AM and I have nothing to do...so tell me how well Oblivion wil run on my computer...I was thinking that it'll look pretty bad but I dunno
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 ghz, rated at 2.5 ghz
GeForce FX 5900 128mb
768 MB RAM
and uh...I dunno..I dont have a dvd drive but I'm getting one soon

For 1GB and 9800XT, I'm gonna have to recommend 1024x768, 2x AA, Bloom, Distant Land, Water Effects on, Grass on. I'm being very safe and conservative, especially in the resolution. This is based off my similar system.

For the FX 5900 and only 768 RAM, that's gonna be tough. I wouldn't recommend any HDR effects, and you may want to put down the slider on land distance.

In all, the 360 should be fine.

Javert said:
For the FX 5900 and only 768 RAM, that's gonna be tough. I wouldn't recommend any HDR effects, and you may want to put down the slider on land distance.

In all, the 360 should be fine.

Like how far would you think? Cause I wanna enjoy the game, and not only be able to see 20 feet ahead

I have 1.6 Athlon, Rad 9800pro and 1 gig ram.

Runs at about 20-30fps in the wilderness, 20-40fps in dungeons. Choppy in fights but even the best hardware is getting that...

1280x1024 res, 4 AF, no AA, HIGH textures, bloom on, no grass, FULL draw distance + distant trees/buildings/objects ON, objects/actors/items/trees set at about 20% fade distance, no shadows

Still looks excellent and only really the lack of grass and shadows which stop it looking 'generally' as good as a max setting system ;)

Bump. Some useful info in this thread.
I'm thinking of getting some more ram, atleast 512 more MB, to be added to my 768 MB. Will the performance increase considerably or just a little? I have a processor that surpasses the minimum requirements and a graphics card that slightly does.

Maybe see how performance is before getting some more ram.

Oblivion is a hungry beast, and can make even the most beefy pc creak with strain, so extra memory will certainly help. Whether it'll improve performance by much, or be worth the cash, is another matter.

Warbie said:
Maybe see how performance is before getting some more ram.

Oblivion is a hungry beast, and can make even the most beefy pc creak with strain, so extra memory will certainly help. Whether it'll improve performance by much, or be worth the cash, is another matter.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I get the game the day after tomorrow! :rolling: I'll go crazy before then

Back