HTC Vive Launch Delayed

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
In an unsurprising turn of events, the launch of the HTC Vive virtual reality headset created in partnership between Valve and HTC has been delayed, although only slightly. Instead of releasing to "developers and communities" before the end of the year, an extra 7,000 developer kits will be made available in January 2016, with the full commercial launch now planned for April, rather than March.

vive.png
It's hardly a huge delay, and we should be getting a chance to feast our eyes on the next generation of Vive headsets at CES from January 6-9. We're hoping the new version will feature a pair of built-in headphones, among other fun extras, but we'll have to wait and see what other surprises Valve could have up their sleeves. Once unveiled, this updated Vive will be shown off to audiences at The Sundance Film Festival, SXSW, GDC, and MWC prior to release in April, so mark your calendars if you're interested in trying out Valve's tech ahead of release!

Seems like they waited till the last minute to announce the delay because for awhile it was thought that they'd be the first to release and to give Oculus a run for its money.

Ah well, gives me more time to upgrade. Just installed an R9 390, but I need to upgrade this i7 920 setup soon.

Seems like they waited till the last minute to announce the delay because for awhile it was thought that they'd be the first to release and to give Oculus a run for its money.

Ah well, gives me more time to upgrade. Just installed an R9 390, but I need to upgrade this i7 920 setup soon.

This was my initial thought too, but I think I'm gonna wait to upgrade because Nvidia might introduce some new cards in March 2016.
My Tinfoil hat thought was that Valve was working on a VR game that wasn't quite ready and wanted to ship it with the Vive.

Actually, that's another thing I've been wondering about. Will all the VR demos/games we've been seeing demoed on the Vive be sold through Steam or through a separate VR-focused storefront? More over will any of these games/demos come bundled with the system or will we have to buy some of them separately?

Back