I need help re: choosing which drives to use

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
The situation is this: I have only one IDE slot, and the following IDE drives:

IDE133 80GB 7200RPM [20/60GB partitions]
IDE100 20GB 5400RPM
BenQ DVDRW+/-

Basically my question is, would I see a performance benefit from putting Steam/TF2/Source SDK on the IDE100 5400rpm drive, instead of putting it on my second partition and having my optical drive connected? I really only use my CD drive to reformat and reinstall Windows every few months.

If I understand you right, you've got your games on a separate partition of the Windows drive, and that's why you think putting it on a (slower? but physically separate) drive might improve performance?

Really, you need to compare the specs of the drives as well. RPM of 5400 indicates it's probably not meant for speed, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Exactly. Being on two IDE100 5400rpm drives made me realise just how much Windows makes use of the page file during regular computer use and gaming. If I set it up like I'm thinking, I would be able to access game/media data while simultaneously writing it to the page file if it needs to end up there. But then again, the smaller drive is slow to a degree beyond what I've encountered in like a decade...

I'm not saying you won't, but I'm not sure if you'll notice any difference. Are you having a problem?

I guess getting a fast HDD, and [if necessary] even a SATA controller card is out of the question?

Yeah, not an option right now, no monies. I guess it's kind of pointless to give this a shot... but it's not like I can't just temporarily throw in a 20GB drive every time I need to do some backing up of media or something. It's not a big deal - it just means I have to move files from two hard drives now, instead of one. :p

Shame I live in the US, or I'd front you (advance you) a drive or something. You should be able to get an 80GB drive from family or friends for free. The 80GBs were packed like crazy into pre-built computers in about 2005; 2007 was 120 or 160GB era.

Haha, no worries, I cannibalised my family's old PC for their 80gb drive. My computer still looks like a patchwork piece of shit, but it runs a bit smoother now.

Back