If I buy the game through steam...?

SerialCarpens

Reaction score
What If I delete it from my computer? Or I upgrade my computer? Do you download it from steam?

i'm guessing you do it through a login ID and such, so that it tracks wheter you've purchased it already, so you don't have to purchase it every time download it

You can download any game you buy as many times as you want, onto any computer you want. The only restriction is that you CANNOT play the game unless you use either your passcode to authenticate or have the CD in the drive: basically so you can't have two people playing the same copy at once.

pfff, who wants to dl, unless your connection is turd burgaling fast

Well, maybe if you live far away from any computer stores or the one near you is sold out.

thats why i reserved mine! i also reserved doom III a year ago, now my reservation ticket is old and stale, like a cracker

Logically, shouldn't it cost less via steam? Has Valve announced anything about that?

steam sucks in that it ties you to an email account.. what if you change isps or your email dies? you have to create a whole new account and go through all that :(

Originally posted by The Duke
Logically, shouldn't it cost less via steam? Has Valve announced anything about that?
Marketing and price positioning has nothing to do with logic, my friend. You can safely expect it to cost just as much.

shouldnt we be discussing my cracker/ticket?

Yes, of course. Tell us more about this wonderful ticket. Who did you buy it from, for instance? And for how much?

Flynn, when you purchase the game there will be several options about how much of the game you actually cache on your system, and how much of it you download as you go along.

I would rather not download the game as you dont get a nice shiny case and manual to go with the game and CD. Plus the fact i know a place that will be selling it early! :E

Originally posted by MrTeatime
Marketing and price positioning has nothing to do with logic, my friend. You can safely expect it to cost just as much.

Not so.

Around 10% of the price goe's towards packaging and CD production.

Also, they won't need to distribute it, so it will probably end up being around £5 cheaper in total.

Originally posted by Sniper
Not so.

Around 10% of the price goe's towards packaging and CD production.

Also, they won't need to distribute it, so it will probably end up being around £5 cheaper in total.

They should make it cheaper to promote Steam. But my guess is their bandwidth is going to get sucked dry on the release day.

the last thing im concerned about with a game like HL2 is the price.

Yeah Radius, but the other guy was, so I was explaining how a program's cost is distributed.

Originally posted by RadiuS
the last thing im concerned about with a game like HL2 is the price.

True. But they should really promote Steam by lowering the price. It's logical :)

I don't think they'd make it too expensive, they'd still want to make a profit, but not so much that people try to get the game in a certain non-legal fasion. Maybe they should have a incentive with the retail version of the game? To be honest, this is starting to remind me of counter-strike, with the downloadable version and the retail version. Maybe the should put something in the retail version, like a t-shirt or a HL2 mousemat, or something.

I'd never buy hl2 off steam, its just dumb! I wanna get it in box, w/ manual, and the beauty of it all... And doesn't steam require internet connection just to play singleplayer? (the main attraction of hl2?)

no. really. i'm not sure how they're going to address downloading hl2 on steam problems. no. 1: terrific bandwith, it'll cost thousands to keep up the servers; 2. once you can get an account, you can practically install steam on every computer you want, the only limitation being that only one can play multiplayer at a time (hey, i would dig hl2 singleplayer for free :))

umm... u kinda r dumb!!! THEY ARE NEVA GONNA LET YOU LET YOU GET HL2 FREE!!! You gonna have to pay for it, then you need interet connection to play single player. Thats messed up! I mea I ahev dsl so it doesn't matter, but I wanna play single player like it used to be on hl1 NOT through steam!

Back