incessant downloads from Steam

Reaction score
Hello. I've searched the Steam site for this, but found no help.

Firstly, I purchased HL2 in 2004 and had a terrible time getting it to install. I have dial-up,
and the incessant "upgrades" and things from Steam were a major annoyance.

With dial-up I cannot play online, even if I wanted to. I only wanted to play the single-player game
on my own computer, by myself, as with the original HL (which I got in 1999?).

Subsequently, I deleted HL2 and didn't play it for a few years. Then, when I decided I wanted to play
it again, I went through the same hassles again -- only worse. This time, apparently someone had
hi-jacked my account. What a mess.

Anyhow, to make a long, horrible story short...

I recently purchased the HL2 episode pack (episodes 1 & 2) and just tried to install it today. Oh boy.
What a mess.

I used the product activation wizard, entered the key code, and get the following message:

"Steam server is unavailable."

I have DIAL-UP and it is ALWAYS a nuissance to attempt to load or launch a
new Steam game (see above). I may be having trouble getting the episode pack to install,
because each time I log onto Steam, it attempts to install HL2 DEATHMATCH.

I have dial-up. I do NOT want to play online. I do NOT want to install HL2 Deathmatch.

Naturally, when I play HL2, I play off-line, to avoid the continual, unceasing downloads
(which I do not want, nor would ever use).

Unfortunately, to install the new episode pack, I need to be online (the game code, etc.)

Most annoyingly, the moment I get online with Steam, it starts "updating" Steam (darn it!
I don't want Steam updated! I just want to play on my own computer! Go away, already!)

Now, stupid Steam is trying to install "HL2 Deathmatch". I have no idea of the file size, but
it won't stop. I eventually had to close Steam and get off-line.

I just want to install the episode pack. That's all! I do not want HL2 Deathmatch
installed by Steam -- or anything else for that matter.

Steam is a ridiculous set-up. They force legitimate purchasers of their product to jump
through hoops backwards just to install and play the single-player game. Believe it or
not, there are people who still have dial-up (like me)(for whatever reasons), and do
not want to play online. They do not want additional upgrades, downloads,
or anything else -- just to play the stinking game they bought.
:angry:

Honestly, I will never purchase another game even remotely connected with Steam.
If there's even a photo of of heated liquid rising on the box, I will run away from it,
screaming insanely -- !!

Seriously. Why does Steam do this? Are they sadists?

Can anyone tell me how to install the episode pack without having Steam hijack my computer
and begin its incessant downloads and upgrades? I can't get the episode pack product number
to be accepted, most likely because Steam is too busy trying to install the stupid HL2 Deathmatch,
which I don't want, nor could ever use.

Please, any advice -- other than wishing that Steam would do what actual steam does
-- dissipate into thin air, never to be seen again?!?!

Thanks.

You are a relic of a past age, my friend. Dial-up users are too rare to be catered to these days. Steam more or less requires a constant internet connection - if you want to play your single player games, let it update for a few days and then run them in offline mode. This is your only real option. Sorry that you aren't happy about it. It shouldn't install HL2DM unless you ask it to though.

You are a relic of a past age, my friend. Dial-up users are too rare to be catered to these days. Steam more or less requires a constant internet connection - if you want to play your single player games, let it update for a few days and then run them in offline mode. This is your only real option. Sorry that you aren't happy about it. It shouldn't install HL2DM unless you ask it to though.

Thanks.

Actually, I haven't asked it to. When Steam logs on, and I go the "games" screen, it shows HL2DM "installing". I try to stop it, but it won't stop. Most annoying.

And yes, I understand about dial-up. However, whatever my reasons may be, it isn't right to create a single-player game, sold as a single-player game, and make purchasers jump through hoops who do NOT want upgrades, etc. At very least, Steam should have a KILL switch for everything coming in that users don't want coming in.

I've been a gamer my entire life, and been playing computer games for about 15 years. I've never run into anything like this Steam nonsense anywhere else. It's insane.

Sorry Jim, looks like your days as a PC gamer are coming to an end, as game developers are increasingly seeking online authentication and patching as a route to help against piracy. You can right click a game in steam, click properties, then the 'updates' tab, then make sure "Do not automatically update this game" is selected in the box. This will not end all your troubles, but should at least make sure games aren't updated on their own. If you wish to play them, they will require updating.

Best thing is find a friend with high-speed internet. Lug your computer/a laptop round to his house, install and update everything, make sure offline-mode works, then take it home.

If you've been gaming all your life (all those 15 years) then you'll know PC gaming is changing and digital distribution platforms such as Steam are very much so the future of gaming with automatic updates / community features / anti piracy / online purchasing and delivery / config synchronising and much more. Dial up users are an extremely rare species these days in a world where the Internet is used even by grandparents (and 56k won't cut it even for webpages!)

Steam can be annoying to use if you're not familiar with this change in gaming standards and being on dial up. In your case it's important to note you aren't receiving 'upgrades' or new content for HL2 or the Episodes, but actually 'updates' or 'fixes' for minor bugs from the original game which shipped. These fixes enhance and improve your gaming experience...hence Valve making them necessary to install. Unfortunately you need to let Steam update them before you can put it into offline mode.

As for HL2DM, it isn't a massive game (uses most materials from HL2) but it shouldn't be installing on its own. Follow Dekstar's tip to prevent it from updating / installing.

I would recommend buying the Orange Box instead, perhaps on the xbox 360 if you own one for the more simplistic console gaming approach.

I'm probably not going to be able to take my computer to someone with a cable hook-up. Last night, I left my dial-up loading Ep1 all night, and it downloaded over 90MB, and it's still running. It say's it will be ready to launch in 2 days 7 hours. That's just for ep1 (I still have ep2).

There's no way I can tie-up my phone line for three days just for ep 1.

Believe me, I'm going to tell everyone I know to never buy anything by Steam. This is ridiculous.

They should NOT put legitimate purchasers of their product through this ridiculous nonsense.

Just so you know the box says an internet connection is required.

Also Steam this time last year totalled 15,000,000 accounts. A year on we are talking considerably more. All the major game publishers are on Steam (see left side), and the majority of online folk (including non-gamers) are on a faster connection than yourself. I'm sorry this is a problem for you but you are in a minority in a past decade. Steam is massively successful.

Believe me, I'm going to tell everyone I know to never buy anything by Steam. This is ridiculous.

They should NOT put legitimate purchasers of their product through this ridiculous nonsense.

Like Glenn said, the box clearly states than an internet connection is required. If you were unsure at the store, you should have gone home and done more research and you would have seen that all VALVe games require an internet connection.

Isn't dsl available everywhere now? It shouldn''t be very hard to get and I don't think it is all that expensive for just a basic plan.

Like Glenn said, the box clearly states than an internet connection is required. If you were unsure at the store, you should have gone home and done more research and you would have seen that all VALVe games require an internet connection.

Isn't dsl available everywhere now? It shouldn''t be very hard to get and I don't think it is all that expensive for just a basic plan.

Hi. Yes, I know about the internet connection. After all, I have HL2. But this is ridiculous. So far, 17 hours, and still nowhere near being finished just w/ep 1.

Steam may be popular, but they'll never get my business again. And I will tell the people I know who buy games to avoid them.

It's insane. Just to play a single-player game. Insane.:angry:

You know what would be really annoying? If you ended up getting one of those bugs or glitches that makes the game unplayable but is fixed in one of those updates you didn't want to install.

You know what would be really annoying? If you ended up getting one of those bugs or glitches that makes the game unplayable but is fixed in one of those updates you didn't want to install.

Well, I've played about 120 fps between 1995 and the present, and this is the only game with which I've had to do this. And none of those games had any glitches. (EDIT: About 120 total games, only about 50 fps)

And just for the record, I can understand the occasional update. But, in the last 24 hours, I've uploaded 280MB, and I'm only showing 60% of episode one ready. What the heck kind of game needs several hundred MB of downloaded files before you can even play it once? (And this isn't counting ep2). I'm throwing the game in the garbage. It's not worth it. Steam stinks.

Get a better internet. It will solve all your problems.

Dial-up is terrible. I mean, get ANYTHING better. 260mb? I would be done with that in minutes.

Well, I've played about 120 fps between 1995 and the present, and this is the only game with which I've had to do this. And none of those games had any glitches. (EDIT: About 120 total games, only about 50 fps)

And just for the record, I can understand the occasional update. But, in the last 24 hours, I've uploaded 280MB, and I'm only showing 60% of episode one ready. What the heck kind of game needs several hundred MB of downloaded files before you can even play it once? (And this isn't counting ep2). I'm throwing the game in the garbage. It's not worth it. Steam stinks.

Guess you don't like playing games with, y'know, content.

I like how Jim's offloading the fact he has internet almost worse than a third world country (his problem), and blaming steam for it.
"Steam won't defy the laws of physics and update my game immediately because I'm on shitty dial up! This system stinks!"

Tip for Jim: No one cares, you're on Dial-up. Upgrade your system, or get left behind with the rest of the idiots. Third option is buy a 360 and leave us the hell alone with your whining.

Back