Kingdom Come: Deliverance "Realistic" open world RPG

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Someone just showed me this RPS article about this game which was just announced. Sounds unique, and is being made by some pretty high caliber developers. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/19/kingdom-come-promises-a-different-kind-of-rpg/
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a nonlinear role-player set in the dying days of the Holy Roman Empire, and it features precisely zero monsters, magic, or mythical overtones. Instead, the focus is on accuracy, and who better to head up that effort than the former director of Mafia and Mafia II? Developer Warhorse is made up of vets from 2K Czech and Arma powerhouse Bohemia, so expect obsessive attention to detail.

As players traverse expansive, strikingly detailed locales, they’ll grapple with a range of period- accurate fighting techniques, horseback combat, open-field sieges, and large-scale battles, all while developing relationships and a reputation that will inform the greater story. Kingdom Come: Deliverance promises no magic, high fantasy or mythical overtones – it draws its inspiration instead from historically authentic characters, themes, and warfare.

Sounds like it could be neat. What will the RPG aspects be?

Unsure, there's supposed to be more info coming out in 30 days, which I'd guess would include a lot more info on gameplay.

Sounds like it could be really promising. I'm hoping the combat is similar to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Oh, so they put up a Kickstarter for it. And for once, it wasn't just a developer trying to squeeze out publishers, they actually are using kickstarter the way it was meant to be used. They tried to get publishers on board, but none of them wanted to take a risk on a game like this not selling well because its not intended for simpletons.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance
(The first two and a half minutes is a trailer, but be sure to watch the second part of the video where a developer explains how shit works and why they're on Kickstarter)

Looks... alright. The swordfighting seems a bit weightless as the mo-cap guys just tap each other's swords and I would prefer a more interesting medieval setting, e.g. Byzantine Empire rather than HRE.

They're releasing videos detailing some gameplay elements and how they design the game. I'll post 'em as they come.

Somehow missed this the first time around. Looks quite promising, and its great news that they reached their Kickstarter goal. Look forward to seeing more details about the combat system, specifically.

We're getting to the good stuff. COMBAT VIDEO.

Okay, that video sold me. Combat looks pretty fun, but the large weapon selection and the large battles, and castle sieges with dynamic destruction (?) really excite me. The RPG aspect seems like a good aspect to pull it all together into a full experience.

Pledged the Baron pack.

More on the "living breathing world" they talk about. Remember how Radiant AI was supposed to be cool in TES: Oblivion and Skyrim? Well maybe these guys can actually pull it off. Next video is supposed to be a 30 min demo of the "playable build" so should be cool to see.

Trying my best not to get my hopes up too much (combat is actually responsive and not rigid ES bullshit), but I'm so used to being disappointed by this genre.

Byzantine Empire rather than HRE.

still waiting for any sort of game to properly exploit this time period

Assassin's Creed: Revelations shows the tail end when they were largely marginalized to the fringes of society and were tossed in as more of a fun yet historically wonky thing (that's what the genre is about, though).

Combat looks like it could end up being pretty fun. Is this a multiplayer game?

Combat looks like it could end up being pretty fun. Is this a multiplayer game?
Singleplayer only for the time being.

There seems to be demand for multiplayer experience. Unfortunately, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a singleplayer game only. We are thinking about cooperative multiplayer in some further future, but definitely not for Act I.

Alright, I pretty much never pledge to anything on Kickstarter (Star Citizen and FTL being my only backed projects), but these dev videos were enough to convince me to take the plunge. It's great to see the amount of work that has already gone into the game, and I eagerly await the 30 minute demo. Taking everything that's said with a grain of salt because these features are often promised by RPG devs and never met, but even if they aren't able to reach all of these promises I still think it will be an excellent game. Put down a Baron pledge as well.

Looks like they'll probably make their stretch goal of Xbox One / PS4 releases.

And Vegeta questioned whether they'd hit the 800,000 mark. Still haven't had a chance to watch the livestream of the playable build, eagerly awaiting my chance

Back