Long Loading times

P

Prospect151

From gamespot.com:
There also aren't very many long loading times to interrupt the flow of the game, as all the levels are discreetly broken into sections, and when you transition from one section to another, there's only a slight pause for the new section to load

Each loading time lasts about 30 sec-1 full minute, with considerable lag for a few seconds after that, which eventually goes away when i shake the mouse around and flick on and off the flashlight.

I'm on all the lowest settings. My specs are:
windows xp home
1.5 ghz
256 MB RAM
nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

I have the same problem, takes anything op to 70 seconds (I've timed it ;) ) to change to the next bit.

I'm also running on lower detail, but that made no difference whatsoever.

I'm using a P4 2.8, 1 gig PC3200 and a Radeon 9800 pro with latest drivers. I've defragged my HDD too. I don't know what else to try other than a re-format, install XPpro again and then only HL2... but I really don't fancy the hour of patching, updating and unlocking again (even with a bought DVD ffs!!)

It's a great game but this is ruining it for me. Anyone know of a quick fix??

See the internet is our friend...

Solution with problem for most Speed Issues...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even some of us with fast computers must raise our hands in reply to the question of the game chokeing at points.

The Solution: This game is huge and when it changes a level or anything like that, it must look up the game files needed for that area. It took me atleast 15 minutes to unpack the GCF and put it into the HL2Folder. After i unpacked it all the problems were gone and the darn thing loaded 2x as fast.

The Problem.: I dont know if valve added this as a anti warez thing or whatever. But it doesnt seem to like or think that a directory eventhough its being ran through steam, to be valid. What i mean by saying that is, when running the game their isnt any problems... Except about 60 secounds into the level you get a big message saying AI DISABLED!

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!! To be able to play this game with the files unpacked becuase even my FPS went up. Try it yourself... but make sure you backup your games saves so you dont have any problems.

We need to get valve to fix this so that us with the room to spare can unpack this stuff. It really does help. Even more than it did in doom 3.

you can view and extract things from GCF's by using a program such as GCFScape- note, it is unsupported by valve and they wont fix any problems it makes.

so the problem appears to be accessing this large file... but if it disables the AI maybe it's not worth playing :(

We'll just have to wait for a patch it seems.

Back