Monitor woes

Bob_Marley

Tank
Reaction score
I've got my lovely new PC now, but theres a problem. I'm using an older monitor and when I play demanding games it crashes (the rest of the system keeps running). It either does one of two things:

1. Goes into standby and wont come back on

or

2. Freezes the screen.

also, if I leave the screen off for a while with the rest of the computer running it will only come back on in stand by mode.

What is the reason for this? Is it my monitor or something else? Its really quite annoying!

I really doubt it's the monitor. The only thing the monitor will do is either display what your computer is telling it to or display a 'no connection' message on a black screen.

Why do you think the PC is still running (and not frozen)?

sound is still playing as it would normally, which leads me to believe that the rest of the system is running normally.

Any idea what the problem might be then? I've checked all the drivers for everything I would expect to affect this, but it hasnt helped.

Edit: Also, its not just demanding games, it crashed on older stuff like E5 (Ok, the english translation is new, but the game is around 2 years old).

The reason I thought it might be the monitor is that it gets quite hot even just running windows.

Whats your graphics card cause it seems more likly to be that cause like Asus said a moniter will only display what the computer is telling it to if your graphics card is on it way out that could be the reason.

Your moniter will get hot even if it is running windows it makes no diffrence if your moniter is showing a game or a word document.
But I really don't think thats a moniter problem.

Ah, I see.

The graphics car is a brand new Nvidia 7950GT, so it shouldnt really be that, should it?

Check your card is getting enough power and is not overheating but i really do think thats your problem cause if you graphics card overheats then they usally freeze or switchoff putting the moniter on stand by cause there is no signal.

Try running the games in safe mode and take it from there.

Back