More Mozilla bugs :o

destrukt

Reaction score
Hot on the heels of Monday's disclosure of spoofing vulnerabilities in most non-Internet Explorer browsers, a security researcher Tuesday unveiled another trio of bugs in Firefox and its Mozilla cousin.The flaws, all of which involve some user action, can be used by hackers to drop code onto a PC, muck with the about:config element of the browser, or steal cookies that, for instance, provide instant access to protected Web sites."If you create a hybrid of a .gif image and a batch file you can trick Firefox," claimed the German researcher identified only as "mikx" by Danish security firm Secunia, in his original warning of one of the bugs.

No need for "OMG IE HAS LYK 30290 M0RE BUGS KTHX." I'm just helping others know :/

Attention to all hackers:
A new bug has been discovered in the world's second most popular internet browser. We definitely don't want you to take advantage of this new security loophole. So make sure not to mess around with the about:config functionality and take out half of the computers across the globe.
Thank you.

The more this happens the better.

Im fed up of Firefox fanboys thinking they're ****ing superior.

also, you all just exaggerate the amount of security holes IE has. IE has precisely ELEVEN security holes.

azz0r said:

GO CLEAN THE DISHES, DIRT BOY.

eh, I just use Slimbrowser. I haven't had any problem with it, and it's nicer than having 50 different things in the taskbar.

azz0r said:

Indid. I feel the same.

*points and laughs at all the FF users*

azz0r said:

You really shouldn't let it get to you

Meh. Firefox still has about 2 million more security holes to go if it ever hopes to compare to IE's legacy.

diluted said:
Meh. Firefox still has about 2 million more security holes to go if it ever hopes to compare to IE's legacy.

Missingno. said:
also, you all just exaggerate the amount of security holes IE has. IE has precisely ELEVEN security holes.

whoa. i know you were exagerating but everyone hates ie because it's the new fad, like hating microsoft and hating ea is.

Missingno. said:
also, you all just exaggerate the amount of security holes IE has. IE has precisely ELEVEN commonly known security holes, that might be fixed when Horne comes out.

What about all the other security holes that are still unknown? Just because you don't see a rat behind a box, it doesn't mean that the rat doesn't exist.

Sharrd said:
What about all the other security holes that are still unknown? Just because you don't see a rat behind a box, it doesn't mean that the rat doesn't exist.

I guess that applies to firefox ?

IE has way to much tie in and access to windows then any other browser and for that reason it will always have a 10 times worse inpact with security holes.

On one hand, you have a middle age city with crumbling walls, most of the defenders are drunk, and spies and thieves move in and out of the city at will.

On the other hand, you have another city, with strong walls and the defenders are alert and armed. There are small gaps in the security around one of the gates. Other than that it's very secure. Not only that, but the city is clean, and the inhabitants are friendly.
Which place are you going to choose to live in? That's right, the 2nd.
Only gluttons for punishment would even think about using IE.

Guys.... I didnt get firefox for about 4 months after I heard about it because I decided IE was just gona be better because such a huge corporation was behind it with some of the best programmers in the world.

But I am sorry to say that once I gave FF a go I found that I get decreased amounts of spyware found on my computer whenever I run my antispyware programms.

It also loads pages faster than internet explorer did... like much faster.

Its more functional for me also.

I have never had any problems with loading pages either btw.

I suggest those with internet explorer give it a go. Hey if you dont like it just get rid of it. :)

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Guys.... I didnt get firefox for about 4 months after I heard about it because I decided IE was just gona be better because such a huge corporation was behind it with some of the best programmers in the world.

But I am sorry to say that once I gave FF a go I found that I get decreased amounts of spyware found on my computer whenever I run my antispyware programms.

It also loads pages faster than internet explorer did... like much faster.

Its more functional for me also.

I have never had any problems with loading pages either btw.

I suggest those with internet explorer give it a go. Hey if you dont like it just get rid of it. :)
I have given it a go...along with opera.

....and I got rid of them both.

destrukt said:
whoa. i know you were exagerating but everyone hates ie because it's the new fad, like hating microsoft and hating ea is.

I hate EA because they bought out the NFL and the ESPN liscence because they are extremely greedy and didn't like their rivals selling cheap games. EA doesn't care what the people want so long as they can get their money.

RIP ESPN NFL games

OK so you take the 3 holes of firefox and compare them with the much higher amount of IE's. Want more reasons to get firefox? Tabbed browsing (SHOULD be a requirement for a browser) Extensions (such as weather, ad blocking, and auto copy) and in general a much more secure ride around the internet than IE.

You people are so quick to defend IE because it "only has 11 security holes (which is probably a lie to begin with)" but when 3 holes of firefox are revealed, its all of a sudden "KILL FIReFOX IE RULEZ WOOHOO!!!11"

Tr0n said:
I have given it a go...along with opera.

....and I got rid of them both.

Which I don't understand, even if you use NONE of the brilliant extra functionalities, it's just like IE (but has a better engine under the hood) and functions just like it. Why get rid of it then?

If only for the decrease in spyware (zero with Firefox) it's worth it, and sure, it has some security holes (it's software, it's always gonna have bugs) but these are hardly an issue.

PvtRyan said:
Which I don't understand, even if you use NONE of the brilliant extra functionalities, it's just like IE (but has a better engine under the hood) and functions just like it. Why get rid of it then?

If only for the decrease in spyware (zero with Firefox) it's worth it, and sure, it has some security holes (it's software, it's always gonna have bugs) but these are hardly an issue.
I don't have any spyware or adware!

Hell I haven't got any pop ups yet. (using google toolbar)

Why waste HD space if I'm not gonna use those programs anyways?

Tr0n said:
I don't have any spyware or adware!

Hell I haven't got any pop ups yet. (using google toolbar)

Why waste HD space if I'm not gonna use those programs anyways?

Heh, for a start they practically use zero hard drive space :p

Remember we are only trying to help :)

It does open pages faster for me... thats a definate plus. The search bar utility that it comes with is very handy (Lets you search through numerous search engines like amazon and ebay).

Tabbed brouseing is extremely usefull to me. I have one window dedicated to this forum for example. Another for work etc.

I have no spyware. (You say you have no spyware.... do you have spyware tools. You might have it and not even realise it... it slowed down my last pc till it died pretty much lol.

I just suggest you rethink it and others try it before dismissing it. Its worth the time to check it out in my opinion. :)

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Heh, for a start they practically use zero hard drive space :p

Remember we are only trying to help :)

It does open pages faster for me... thats a definate plus. The search bar utility that it comes with is very handy (Lets you search through numerous search engines like amazon and ebay).

Tabbed brouseing is extremely usefull to me. I have one window dedicated to this forum for example. Another for work etc.

I have no spyware. (You say you have no spyware.... do you have spyware tools. You might have it and not even realise it... it slowed down my last pc till it died pretty much lol.

I just suggest you rethink it and others try it before dismissing it. Its worth the time to check it out in my opinion. :)
Well already tried it and don't really care for it.

I'm not saying it sucks...I'm just saying I'm not gonna waste my time.Also yes I have a couple spyware programs and ad-ware programs.

I don't use most of the features anyways.

So problem solved.

Tr0n said:
Well already tried it and don't really care for it.

I'm not saying it sucks...I'm just saying I'm not gonna waste my time.Also yes I have spyware a couple spyware programs and ad-ware programs.

I don't use most of the features anyways.

So problem solved.

Fair enough. I aint gona get angry with ya or nathin :p

Internet explorer is a waste of time. Anyone with half a brain can tell that firefox is the superior browser.

Use opera, i dont get the deal about Firefox. Opera is faster to load, Opera is just as fast to download pages(it claims to be the fastest browser on the planet (who knows?)), Opera has an Irc client, email, far more customisable, and a more accessable interface, with many more buttons.

It works on all the major platforms, and is a small download, and the devs patch security threats quickly.

All round much better.

I think its the fact Firefox is OpenSource, its the darling of the net, yay a non profit org can take 5% market share from MS. I mean fair enough, but it definately aint the best browser out there, solid, yes, better than MSIE, yes, best browser availible, not in my opinion.

MjM said:
Use opera, i dont get the deal about Firefox. Opera is faster to load, Opera is just as fast to download pages(it claims to be the fastest browser on the planet (who knows?)), Opera has an Irc client, email, far more customisable, and a more accessable interface, with many more buttons.

It works on all the major platforms, and is a small download, and the devs patch security threats quickly.

All round much better.

It's not free.... :sleep:

What PvtRyan said. Supported by advertisments. Bah :p

I love the look and feel of Firefox, but if you prefer IE then by all means, go with IE. Who really cares tbh?

qckbeam said:
I love the look and feel of Firefox, but if you prefer IE then by all means, go with IE. Who really cares tbh?
All the geeks.

I prefer the look and feel of IE.
Neither of them have serious security holes.
But FF has mouse gestures -_-
So i use both.

Oh BTW, something I REALLY REALLY hated about IE that every so often it hid my status bar for no particular reason, seriously, **** you IE! I want my goddamn status bar!

PvtRyan said:
Oh BTW, something I REALLY REALLY hated about IE that every so often it hid my status bar for no particular reason, seriously, **** you IE! I want my goddamn status bar!
That used to happen to me with IE but stopped quite a few versions ago. I think it just wasn't saving preferences correctly or something.

Only thing that bugs me with FF is it sometimes gets confused when I type and thinks im trying to use the find feature. Usually gives a read error on exit and then fine when reloaded.

PvtRyan said:
Just lock the IE registry keys and nothing will change...

I just had to make the ini file that holds the FF passwords read-only cuz it kept losing my hl2.net password -_-

Zeus said:
OK so you take the 3 holes of firefox and compare them with the much higher amount of IE's.

You people are so quick to defend IE because it "only has 11 security holes (which is probably a lie to begin with)" but when 3 holes of firefox are revealed, its all of a sudden "KILL FIReFOX IE RULEZ WOOHOO!!!11"

How long has IE been out compared to FF ? How many people target IE and how many target FF ? Alot of problems which have been caused by IE holes could've been prevented if people updated.

I made this thread obviously without that intent, hence why I just said I was "notifying people." So this isn't a "kill firefox" thread and there are yet to be those comments. Kind of like that myth of warez 'kiddies' coming on here proclaiming they are better because they get things for real, but has anyone actually said that ?

Back