Movies, TV Series, Music, and More are Coming to Steam

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
It's interesting when you look at how Valve's idea of entertainment in the living room has evolved over the years. It really is yet another testament to the fact that this company continues to practice the art of iterative design - a cyclical process of prototyping, testing, analyzing, and refining a product.

Early Beginnings

It was in 2011 when we got our first glimpse of Steam in the living room. Valve announced Big Picture Mode, which was touted as merely an interface upgrade for Steam that offered "controller support and navigation designed for television interaction." It wasn't clear at this point what direction Valve was going in the living room or how far they were willing to go.

Later that year, Greg Coomer, a veteran Valve employee and Steam engineer, quietly tweeted this photograph of a high-end, Xbox-sized gaming PC that he had built. At the time, nobody had predicted that this was in fact a prototype for what we now call Steam Machines.

In September 2012, almost a year after Greg Coomer's tweet, Valve released Big Picture Mode. It was also around this time that they began to make it clear that they were looking into producing gaming hardware because they were "frustrated by the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space," so Valve began hiring hardware & electrical engineers like Ben Krasnow and Jeff Keyzer, to name a few. Gabe Newell also publicly came out and said that Valve was definitely planning to release living room hardware in 2013.

Today

It was this time last year when a lot of the pieces began to fall in place. Valve ran an advertisement campaign to announce the Steam Universe, a set of platforms specifically designed for video games in the living room - SteamOS, Steam Machines, and the Steam Controller. A few months later, Valve unveiled the first generation of 3rd-party manufactured Steam Machines.

And only months ago, Valve released features for Steam that would greatly enhance both the desktop and living room experience. They introduced Steam Family Sharing, a service that allows you to share your Steam library with friends and family. Another new feature included In-Home Streaming, giving you the ability to stream games from your high-end gaming rig to a media PC or laptop.

The Future

Now we come to today's news.

Still missing are a lot of other features that platforms like the Xbox has that the Steam Universe lacks (natively). Where is Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, HBO Go, or other media streaming services that also make up the backbone of entertainment in the living room? Well, according to the folks at SteamDB, a lot of these services, or ones like them, could be making their way into Steam and the Steam Universe soon.

new_steam_apptype.png

SteamDB said that Valve updated their Steam binaries in a beta update today, and they found that a few new application-type IDs were added. Films, TV Series, Videos, Plugins, and Music are all coming to Steam. We were kind of given a hint that Valve was moving towards these services in another beta update a few weeks ago. In the update were references to the popular Spotify music player.

So, after almost four years of iterative design, the big picture of Steam and Valve in your living room is clear. They want to directly compete with the big dogs like Microsoft and Sony, and Valve certainly has the capability to succeed. Their iterative design process has provided them with a stable footing to launch off of.

The entire Steam Universe platform is still in beta, but because most of the pieces of the puzzle have been filled by Valve, we expect 2015 is the year they will begin to invade our living rooms. So stay tuned as we bring you more news in the coming weeks and months.

Image credit: @SteamDB

Last edited:
yes company valve moving toward multimedia monster... I think that this could be a big flop :( valve be the first game developers! but now .. More and more developers are leaving the company :( I see the good guys from valve work and eliminate many of the errors (hich create other staff who do not have intelligence and attitude to IT sector) and all this is just a game its own tail... very sorry that great ideas converted into a garbage of incompetent management of the company.

yes company valve moving toward multimedia monster... I think that this could be a great success :) valve be the first game developers! but now .. More and more developers are partnering with them :) very happy that great ideas converted into a gold by skilled folks of the company.

also do not forget company apple,microsoft,google.. is a long time in the markets multimedia and they, unlike valve have great opportunities...in any case, the last conference black hat it became clear that most of my friends more feel irritation to the company valve:mad: because they have forgotten that they are a game developer and they have become a reseller..... in the past, many of my friends had Negative sentiment towards Sony As a result the company was on the verge of bankruptcy (if it continues to continue attacks on the company) but at one point we said Stop! and the company held a total change...need a reason to the Steam server were not available for Steam users for a month or more ? I think that there is not! I think we all just need to develop mechanisms for working with the community. and not stupid answers that the company does not need a programe "bug for money" I think that everyone understands that experts Safety within the company in a beautiful day to be a very long time to cry where on the screen they will see a familiar symbol......

also do not forget company apple,microsoft,google.. is a long time in the markets multimedia and they, unlike valve have great opportunities...in any case, the last conference black hat it became clear that most of my friends more feel irritation to the company valve:mad: because they have forgotten that they are a game developer and they have become a reseller..... in the past, many of my friends had Negative sentiment towards Sony As a result the company was on the verge of bankruptcy (if it continues to continue attacks on the company) but at one point we said Stop! and the company held a total change...need a reason to the Steam server were not available for Steam users for a month or more ? I think that there is not! I think we all just need to develop mechanisms for working with the community. and not stupid answers that the company does not need a programe "bug for money" I think that everyone understands that experts Safety within the company in a beautiful day to be a very long time to cry where on the screen they will see a familiar symbol......

FACEPALM.png

Valve has been reselling games now for a long time and it didn't affect their ability to develop high-quality games. They aren't flawless but their games are popular, well-maintained and fun. Personally I don't see many parallels to Sony. Steam outages are mostly resolved in a matter of minutes, the Steam servers were never down for multiple days, weeks or even a month as you said. Valve is one of the companies that work very closely with the community, they're not always communicating everything they think about, but you notice that most of the stuff that gets posted on forums etc. gets considered. The last part of your message I'm not able to understand, maybe try Google Translate next time instead of writing English yourself.

Oh! Excellent! I w̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶i̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶D̶o̶c̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶W̶h̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ will be able to enjoy many different digital programmes through an interface I trust.

Valve has been reselling games now for a long time and it didn't affect their ability to develop high-quality games. They aren't flawless but their games are popular, well-maintained and fun. Personally I don't see many parallels to Sony. Steam outages are mostly resolved in a matter of minutes, the Steam servers were never down for multiple days, weeks or even a month as you said. Valve is one of the companies that work very closely with the community, they're not always communicating everything they think about, but you notice that most of the stuff that gets posted on forums etc. gets considered. The last part of your message I'm not able to understand, maybe try Google Translate next time instead of writing English yourself.
probably the last part of my message was ironic... in any case, it's really good that they are trying to work with communities...

Back