My first fanfic

Jrgsubzero

Reaction score
This fanfic is for a Dinosaur HL2 mod that is in progress. So its going to be about .... dinosaurs. Just post feedback and stuff and i'll update the story here.

So I just watched the dog fly away. I then turned my attention to my chair.
“You know, that dog is just gonna end up coming back here for food” The chair said.
“What makes you so sure?” I said.
“I don’t know, you’re the one talking to a chair” It said.
It was right. I was talking to a chair. I walked over to the puddle of water and sat in it. I began to think why I should be able to talk to the chair and no one else can. It seemed selfish.
“Hey Mr. Chair.” I said.
“Yes Mr. McCoy?” The chair said.
“How would you like to travel the world, and share you amazing gift of speech with others?” I asked.
“Why? So some obese person can sit on me and break me? No thank you buddy.” It said.
Well that was that. The chair wouldn’t come with me. I guess I’ll have to-

I sprung up startled. An annoying ringing in my ears. I slapped my hand down on the alarm clock. It read 6:34 A.M. I turned over and noticed my wife wasn’t there. I threw the sheets off of me and stretched myself out of bed.I stood up and made my way to the hall, fumbling over a shoe along the way and upon doing so, I gurgled and kicked it. When in the hallway I opened the bathroom door and lazily walked inside with my feet half-dragging.
She already took her shower I thought, noticing the foggy mirror and the slight haze in the air. I stumbled to the bath knobs and turned the red one until it stopped and the blue one halfway. While the spout was rewetting the tub, I made full use of the toilet. I then jumped into the shower and did all my cleaning tasks. Grabbing a towel, I walked back to my room and got dressed. Touching my left breast I noticed something was missing.

"Honey, wheres my name tag?" I shouted.
There was a long silence.
"Honey?" I inquired.
Still silence.
"HON-"
"Its on the dryer. I put it there before I washed it." She said.
Reassured that I won't have to search for it. I sat on the bed and slipped on my socks and shoes. Then went to the outer kitchen to retreive my idenity. Joe McCoy .Yep thats me. A nice 'young' white male of 32. I took the pin and carefully attached it to my shirt.
I smelled food and joined my wife in breakfast. Upon aproaching the table I gave her my good mornings and a compliment. I pulled out the chair and sat down. I then remembered my odd dream about the talking chair. I dismissed the thought and mildly chewed my bacon and egg sandwich. During my eating, a drop of egg juice fell on my shoe. I took my napkin and leaned down and wiped it off. While I was doing that I noticed my wife was wearing a dress-skirt with blue pant-
I blushed slightly and sat back up. She was drinking her coffee.
"Alene, how are you this morning?" I asked her.
"Sad as always." Se replied.
"Sad?"
"Sad that I have to wait another 7 hours to see you again." She smiled.
I smiled too and leaned across the table and kissed her.
"Well Alene, I still have about an hour until I have to leave. What do you want to do?" I asked.
She walked over to my chair and whispered something into my ear. After hearing her request I agreed.

The soft morning air blew around me. Alena always likes to walk outside in the morning. I asked her what she wanted to do, so I wasn't really in a positon to argue. I really didn't mind anyway.
We walked down the sidewalk through the mist that hung over the neighborhood. The sound of the wind and her soft shoes hitting the ground was relaxing. We had our hands clasped together inside our jacket sleves.
"You know Joe. I don't know how we got together. With you being a scientist and me being English teacher. But I don't care how it happened, i'm just glad it did." She said with a smile.
"I feel the same way honey." I answered.
She kissed me with a ahnd on my cheek.
"Just do me a favor and remember to shave before you leave." She said rubbing my cheek.

I chuckled.
"Of course I will." and kissed her back then I added, "If I ever stop loving you, shoot me."

I put on my tie and grabbed my wallet. I made for the door and kissed my wife goodbye on the way. I took my keys and started the car. I waved at Alena who was now by the door. I glanced at the clock. 7:26. Still had about 20 minutes to get to work. She blew a kiss as I was backing out. I acknowledged it, and drove down the road.

Arriving at work I opened the front door and made my way to my area. I said hi to some of my co-workers and sat down in the bottom floor testing area. After a while I learned from some gossip that we were doing unusual tests today. Unusual because we were going to continue a private research that we had no prior knowledge off. Apparently our more 'high level' scientists have been working on it and didn't tell us. But now they were ready for more open research with the rest of our team. I spun around in my chair while waiting for our assignment. I may be a scientist, but I still get bored. I was fiddling with my pen when Ted came in.
Ted annouced, "Today, our other scientists, who have been doing work in 'a dark basement', have decided it is time to get the whole team involved. They have not completely filled me in on what we are doing but they say it is very important. Something about we our being funded by a small corporation to do tests and research for them. So lets not screw this up!"
That about confirmed my prior gossip. Still unamused, I clicked my pen some more. Usually when the word 'important' came up, it meant we were being given a lot of money to do things. Big whoop.

He gave us our assignments and I clicked on my computer. The soft whirr of the motors gave me a sense of home. I watched the monitor flash on and started up the program that monitored the machine we were running. The machine was used in most of our hi-tech ‘missions’. What it did was – well I won’t bore you with details. All the bars were up, the numbers at 80 or higher, and it looked fine. I leaned back in my chair a bit and prepared for a boring stare down with a screen.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
The clock now read 9:21. I nodded up and saw that systems were still normal. I slowly crept back up in my chair and clicked on the blue E. www. I began to type. I hit enter then browsed around a bit. Then my computer’s speakers made a low sound. bump .. bump .. bump .. bump and was soon accompanied by a beu-beu-beu-beu … beu beu Then I heard a crash. Damn space rocks, I thought to myself, you will not defeat my white triangle of death this time. I turned off the sound and continued playing.
The testing as normal, didn’t really see why it was important. It followed the same old procedure: Hypothesize, analyze, prod, chemical reactant test, note, conclude, and if possible reverse engineer. But I don’t even know what we are experimenting with.

All I have to do now is check the system levels and follow one other instruction…

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Ok. We are almost done. We are in the transmitter phase and I am ready to do as I was instructed. I went to the system controls, submenu intensity, and moved it from 20 to 100. My job was done for the day. All I had to do was wait for the day to end to go home and see my wife.

About 20 minutes later I heard a scream.
It..it..it happened all so fast... It came upon us with such swiftness...Why did
we.. I lay here in the darkness..bloodned and bruised. Damn it all!
A drop of moisture intruded my eye. I blinked twice. I saw a vision of an
angel...leaning over me. "Wow some glue" She whispered. Then it started
getting louder. My ears boomed with activation.
"How are you?" She questioned.
Ugh, I thought, she did find me in a tiny pile of didn't she? I decided not
to answer that. I just moved my hand. She gave a faint smile. "Well now that
you're awake, tell me who you are and what happened" She inquired. I tried to
find the words..... "I am Joe, Joe McCoy of the..." I continued to search my
thoughts. "....Of the First division ..." I really couldn't think. "There were
claws..."

I pushed the thought away. "We should really tend to my wounds for now." I said. She nodded in agreement. She went to a tiny box with a red cross on it and opened it. She took out some supplies. She then placed one white square on my head, a strip on my left arm, and a full wrap around my upper chest.
When all my pains were tended to we talked. Avoiding the incident during the conversion of course. We talked long and well about our home life, our lives, about how her child hides the remote. We conversed for two reasons. 1. We needed time to heal my wounds. We knew what attacked me might come for us, but the doors have been barricaded since I awoken. Smart .
2. We wanted to ease the anxiety. My thoughts moved elsewhere as she blabbered. Not that I want to be rude. She has just gone off track. My thoughts, beyond my will, went to the accident. I know what I saw, yet, refused to believe it. I saw a ...dinosaur...

During our enlightening conversation I noticed she mentioned that her name was Ayla. I just thought of it as a weird name. I took a look around me. There was Ayla by my side still talking, she had moved on to her child’s soccer game and how it embarrassed him. I noticed we were in a medium sized room. It was about the size of a bedroom. I had just now realized the flickering light above us, it seemed to have an indistinct pattern. It appeared to stay on more than off.
I saw a file cabinet to the opposite side of me. It had magnets attached on it, probably by co-workers. One showed an atom and below it said ‘SCIENCE’ in bold letters. Another was a black rectangle with white letters in the middle that said ‘Just be nice’. The second to the bottom drawer was open with a lone paper hiding in it. I could only see the title, it read ‘Memo: About the tests. Date: 3/7/XX To: Don Tulickin.
I looked from the wall to the double door entrance. There was just Certification plaque mounted on the wall. Name: Don Tulickin. I assumed this was his office. I started to wonder what happened to him during the accident and why he wasn’t here. Perhaps he was attacked too. Maybe they spread from the testing area to the whole building. I shuddered. That meant that getting out of this place wouldn’t be easy. I took a glance at the doors. They were still heavily barricaded. I guess Ayla has enough common sense that if she brings some injured to a place and those injuries are from unknown causes, to block the doors. I remember a movie I watched at my house a long time ago. It was about a evil cat that attacked people. I always thought of it as Cujoette. Someone person found a guy badly injured outside his house. He took him in and nursed him. He didn’t block the door. Being a movie the cat burst in through the door moments later. …Killing them both. I just think that people should block doors if they start finding people bloody and wounded. It could be anything that did it.

I looked behind Ayla on the left side of me. I saw half a table with the med kit on it. *Sigh* I wonder when healing will be instant. It would be nice to have my health go back up to normal instead of having bandages. Well ,we never know what science will bring us tomorrow. That is our company's motto. There also was one chair by the table. I thought that of queer. How often do you see only one chair by a big table?
"But by that time it got better." I decided to tune in on her chat. "Hey, what our the plans when we decide to get out of here?" I asked her.
"Also I - What? Plans? This is sudden. I really don't know. Never gave that a thought.", "Well its about time I told you what happened, I was attacked....by dinosaurs...",
"By WHAT?!",
"..Dinosaurs..",
"How did this happen? What were you experimenting with? WHY were you doing those experiments?",
"I'll get into details later, but right now the important thing is is that there are dinosaurs out there and I don't think they hold doors for people."
There was a pause. "Well", she said, "What are we going to do?"
"Glad you asked, well I suggest we take whatever weapons we can find and use them to our advantage.", I suggested.
"And where are we going to get weapons?", she questioned.
"Simple, we're scientists remember? We can make chemical bombs. We learned that years ago. There might be blunt objects around here, pipes, wrenches, and crowbars. Who knows, people might own private firearms and keep them in their desk drawers, for whatever reasons, like, I don't know, Alien attack? But we can find things, trust me, ..its been done before." I stated. Then I added "Lets get started, find me some morphine!"

I jogged to the door and- "Wait, go where!?", she asked. I looked back at her and tripped. ... I slowly stood up, brushed myself off and walked gently towards her until I was very close to her. I then put my face inches from hers.
"You just had to ruin the moment...didn't you?", I whispered. She looked around twice, "What moment?" She said, puzzled. I just kept my face there, staring at her. I sighed and crept my face away.
"Never mind", I said with a wave of my hand, as if I was gesturing someone off. I continued, "I really wasn't prepared anyway, must of been the morphine, how much did you give me anyway?" I put my hand on my chin. She shifted her eyes and then took the syringe and held it behind her back. "I dunno", she stated abruptly.
I rolled my eyes. "Well, about those weapons, since you stopped me we might as well look for some." I said. She agreed. I searched the ground, under the beds and cabinets. Then I stopped. I could not believe what I saw. I picked it up and walked over to Ayla. "Look! Its took bad you can't pick up this sweet weapon is Hal...I mean look at it!", I stated with amazement. "Its...a toothpick" She whispered.

“But still, it could be used a weapon”, I argued.
“Oh, I’m sorry, you’re right. We can certainly kill those pesky roaches. Then after we kill them, we can eat them. Yeah great, roach shish kabob cooking over a fire.” Ayla snapped. I didn’t find her sarcasm amusing. I just looked down at my feet and made my left foot scrape the ground immaturely. Like a young boy trying to talk to a pretty . Except being a man and not a boy, I did it harder.
There was a minor pain emitting from my toe. I noticed my foot had hit something. I kneeled down and to see who or what this destroyer of toe comfort was. I kneeled in a proposal stance. My left leg propped up and my right one on the ground. I swept the ground carefully looking for the culprit.

Ayla wasn’t really paying attention to me after her verbal fantasy of eating roaches. I observed in the right corner of my eyes that she was continuing the search. She was looking on top of the cabinet for the moment I was looking at her. I peered back down to locate the evil.
I looked under the table we were standing by and found it. It was a metal box, not heavy in weight. That is probably why I was able to move it under the table with my kick. I slid it out from under the table and after doing so I picked it up and released it upon the table. It was a typical dark green when various stains and parts of it gray with dust. One stain, thin and yellow in color, speckled diagonally the left side of which it was facing me.
It almost started neatly in the middle, but by my visual calculations it was a little off to the right.
I blew on it mostly on instinct, as most people do to aged dusty objects. I looked near the top and regarded that the top was like the other sides. After a few seconds of deliberation I concluded that it was upside down. I promptly turned it over. I analyzed the two tiny handles toward the middle separated by a thin line between them. There we also two petite metal rectangles positioned at one, the top of the thin line, and the other, at the bottom of the thin line. They both had little cylinders inside of them, these cylinders bent up at the end of the rectangle. I simply assumed these were latches. Hence, I took grasp of the jut that struck upward and pulled one to the right and one to the left until they got stuck and refused to emerge any longer. I then took to the task of pulling up the handles. Some dust rose up into the air.

I peered inside to check the contents. I put my hand in and grabbed the only thing in sight. I beheld the object before my eyes to examine it. After much thought, I went to the conclusion that it was a ancient sandwich, accompanied by mold. I viewed it for a while longer in disbelief. I mean, when you usually find something by accident in a dire situation as this, it usually turns to be a useful tool or object. “Hey”, Ayla said after I had put the repulsive meal on the table “Look what I found.”

I turned around to face Ayla.
“Hopefully its something better than I found.” I muttered. She one hand on her hip and said cheerfully, “Oh, I think it is.” I raised an eyebrow and said, “Well, what -. Suddenly all I saw was white. Startled, I stepped back and saw that Ayla was holding a flashlight.
“Don’t point that at my face!” I yelled. She looked hurt and whimpered, “Sorry...” I sighed, seeing that I hurt her feelings. “I shouldn’t have overreacted.” I said in a low tone of voice. She stared at her feet for a while whilst I looked around the room slowly biding my time. After a few minutes I decided it was ‘safe’ to speak again.
“Could you please hand the flashlight, Ayla?” I asked.
“Sure.” she said, as she handed me the flashlight. When it reached me hand I took it gently from hers. I held it for a bit, then turned it off. Certain thoughts arose in my mind. Ayla saved my life. I would be lying in a puddle of rotten blood, too weak to do anything. But Ayla had found me, fed me, and cleaned my wounds.
I owe much to her.
“Hey, Ayla.” I said softly. She acknowledged my call.
“How did you find me anyway?” I asked.
She sighed as if it was a long explanation. “Well, after the accident occurred, I wandered around aimlessly. I walked through halls, labs, and offices looking for answers to my questions. But either people were too busy fleeing that they wouldn’t stoop to talk to me. I would of ran too, had I known what went on. So either they were running, insane, killed, or hiding. I came across the first dead person I saw in a lab. The chemicals were spattered about. There were puddles of liquid on the floor in many places. I walked around the lab, careful not to step on the broken glass and the unknown chemicals. It was difficult to see due to most of the lights either being broken or flickering. But I managed to navigate through it. I came to a corner and spotted a red substance next to a huge lump. I approached the unknown figure. …It wasn’t a lump. I ran out of there as fast as I could. I stumbled into another lab. This one was more helter-skelter than the last. Then I saw you on the floor, by a computer terminal.”

“I was doing a check on the system levels… to see if everything was stable.” I interjected.

She continued, “Well, I noticed your stomach moving slightly and it appeared that you were still alive. When I got near you I saw that a shadow swiftly bolted across the other side of the room into a hallway. I decided I should take you somewhere safe. I located a low cart. It was the kind I see people using to cart boxes. I laid you on it and moved to the nearest office. I then quickly searched the drawers on his desk and found the key to his office. I rolled you behind the desk and firmly locked you inside. I went to the nearest map and looked for the medical bay. It was 2 hallways down, then I had to take a left at the next hallway. So I sprinted down the halls fearing for both your life and mine. I knew something did this. I got there without a problem, aside from my fatigue. I went to all the cabinets, drawers, and boxes. I grabbed pillows, sheets, bandages, wraps, all the medicine, medical tape, and glasses and filled them with water. I put them all into a medium box, which was light due to it being made of plastic. I ended up having to throw out the water because they wouldn’t stay upright. I then went to a vending machine, I’m sure you know they have one in just about every hallway. I stepped to the Soda one and smashed it in the middle with my foot, then it happened."

“What happened?” I asked impatiently.
Her eyes were wide. I could tell she went through a lot. But as I think about it she never showed any correlation that she had been through a lot since the accident. But then again, neither have I, excluding my wounds. This is somewhat my fault, I should not of –
“My foot”, She continued, “got caught in one of the mechanisms. I started to panic, but I kept enough sense to pull myself up a little bit by holding on to the top of top of the machine so I could reach the cord with my other leg and unplug it. I then let go and turned to the task of getting my foot out. I tried just pulling it out. It didn’t work well. I would have to pull harder. I looked around me. There was the snack machine I was going to go to next, it was to the left of the one I was currently stuck in. To my right was a change machine. The red light was flashing under a sticker that read: IF ON DO NOT USE.”

I chimed in, “Well, why was your foot in there anyway?”
She replied, “I was trying to get fluids and food for us and I didn’t exactly plan to get my foot stuck. It just looks easier on television when they smash vending machines.”

“Okay.” I said then limped my hand forward to cue her to continue.

Ayla inhaled, “Well, I then looked beyond the three machines into the two hallways. The left one was empty, only papers littered the speckled black white tiles. The right one was almost exactly the same … except there was a shadow at the end of the hall. I was unable to make the exact details out. But it was about 3 feet tall and stood on its hind legs. It had a long tail and was about 5 feet long.”

My own memories of the creature came into mind.

She went on “Before I could make out more details it ran into a door a the end of the hall. I knew I had to get back to you. I kept pulling at my foot until it gave way. I must have gained strength through the adrenaline that began pumping. I quickly grabbed the cans of soda that was in there and shoved them into my box. I then took the wastebasket that I found hiding by the snack machine and pounded the trashcan into it. I swiftly grabbed the snacks and nibbles and threw them into the box. I took a glance to the right and saw a snout-like head poking out from the door, it eyes fixed on me. I left one bag of chips on the ground and grabbed the box and ran down the other hall. I took a right at the second passageway and continued down that hall until I reached the door. I don’t know if the thing gave chase or even if it went to where I standing. I took my key and fumbled it into the lock and ran inside. You were still knocked out and breathing. I took a seat at the table to catch my breath. I then took some chairs and blocked the doorway. I set the box on the floor and took out the bandages and medical tools. I took a towel and frequently padded your wounds to stop the bleeding. I wanted to wait until you woke up to apply the bandages to make so I wouldn’t apply them too tight or too loose.” Ayla took a breath.

Okay, I thought to myself. This was the woman, least say, girl that rescued me.

“Thank… you.” I managed after a moment of silence.
Ayla just smiled weakly. I was fumbling the flashlight in my hand still. I noticed that I had it and began looking around again. I took the flashlight and looked in the box that had the sandwich in it. I peered inside with the newfound visibility and noticed a even tinier handle on the bottom. I took a finger and lifted it.
“I’ll be damned” I found myself saying it aloud. I heard Ayla say hmm. There was a pistol inside with a small pad of bullets. Inside was a note, it read: Just in case, Black Mesa . It was from Black Mesa. I didn’t quite understand what it meant but I took happily to my finding. By this time Ayla was by my side and was equally amazed and bewildered by the find. We began discussing why it was there when suddenly there was a snarl coming from outside the barricaded door.

We froze in fear. We heard it again through the chairs that blocked the doors. Then there was a knock and the chairs nudged slightly. I instinctively checked the clip of the pistol. It was full, with 17 bullets. Ayla grabbed the remaining chair at the table and held it by her side. We stood there with gun poised and chair raised. We just kept waiting a few feet away from the door.
There were two more nudges when one chair fell from the top and made a small crash onto the floor. That meant there was only three chairs left. Another snarl came, louder this time. My hand started trembling both from fear and fatigue on my arm from being raised. Ayla arms were wobbling too.
“Ayla…”, I said slowly, “You did lock the door right..?” She gave me look like a boy has when he left his favorite toy at the playground.
“I-I-I”, She began, “I … substituted the chairs for the lock.”
Two chairs fell simultaneously on the ground, leaving only the one propped up against the two doorknobs.
“Bloody hell!” I screamed.
“Get ready!” She yelled.
The door continued to pound.
I wrapped my finger around the trigger and Ayla tensed her muscles.
There was one more pound.
Then it stopped. Silence.
After a minute we put our aching arms down. Both of us then ‘phewed’ in relief.
Ayla opened her mouth, “Boy that was really sc-“
Then a big boom hit the door and the last chair slid to out feet. We looked down at it. Then another strike caught out attention and we focused back on the door.
It stopped suddenly again.
We without hesitation put our weapons up for a second time.
The eerie swept over us like a wheel in-
Click click
The doorknob started to move slowly. We tensed again.
Click click
It kept trying to open the door.
It would be any minute now when it-
Click click ... click
“Oh sh-“ Ayla said under her breath.
The door creaked open slowly and a head poked through right when there was enough space.
The head was … leathery and was light brown with a single dark brown stripe crawling from the right eye down past to the nostrils and fell of the right side of its chin. It eyes poked about from Ayla to me and back again. I figured out what it was, it was a Velociraptor.
I immediately fired my gun.

Damn it, I thought. I flinched.
I opened my eyes to see what damage had been done.
There was no head peering through the partially opened door. I wiped sweat off my forehead and turned towards Ayla’s direction.
She was shaking still facing the door, the chair above her head wobbling unsteadily. I stepped near her and gently put my hand on her shoulder.
“Its –“
She rashly swung the chair down in my direction. I closed my eyes and embraced myself for impact.
I opened my eyes and say a wooden leg inches from my left cheek. Ayla was breathing in ragged gasps. She then collapsed on her knees, dropping the chair in the process. Ayla must have never seen or heard a real gun go off, much less be so near one. Me included, but I was more prepared for it since I as the one pulling the trigger. Or perhaps it was the fact that we just had an encounter with a dinosaur.
I got on one knee and mildly presented her with my hand. She took a few more breaths then hesitantly took it and we slowly stood up.
“Are you ok?” I asked faintly.
“Yes, I’ll live.” She responded.
I examined the door and saw two bullet holes.

But no blood.
I took the small packets of bullets from the box. 34 bullets, that means we have two extra clips.
“So, what now?” I asked Ayla.
“Well, if we plan on going out here we need to take the medical and food supplies with us,” She said shaking her head, “and I don’t know how we are going to tote it around while we are trying to fend off those things.”
“Hmm, that is going to bit of a problem isn’t it?”
”Yeah … it is. Any bright ideas? We are scientists ya know.”
I tapped my index finer against my chin repeatedly. I scanned the room over and over.
“One of us could hold it while the other attacks.” I suggested.
“But that would decrease our defense percentage.” She argued.
“I see, hmmm… Maybe we could kick it along?”
“That might damage the items, plus it gets tiring.”
”Well, maybe we can tie a string to your box and drag it along.”
”That is a good idea … we would just have to drop the string when we encounter something.”
”Great, there’s a small rope in the janitor closets, but until then, I suggest we carry the box, you know where the closet janitor closet is?”
”Yeah, its probably not more than a couple hallways from here, We can check the map at the end of this hallway.” She said.
“Ok lets go.” I said.
She put the outlying food and medical supplies into the box with the rest of them. She then put a couple of chair legs in there too. She held it at chest level and we started out the door.

We journeyed to the Janitors closet that was closet to us. We arrived there without mishap asides from mental paranoia. The silliness of it all, Ayla opening the Janitor’s door while I stood a few feet in front of it with gun poised. Nothing could be inside a closed door, but like I said; paranoia.
I went inside to search for the rope and scouted a few other useful objects. I came across some batteries, 2 of which were the right size for the flashlight, but we took the whole stack of batteries incase we came across any other electronics. In a dark corner of the confinement cowered a box, slightly larger and more durable than the one we currently had. (Its edges were about as wide as a thumbs’ fingernail) We piled the current luggage into the new box and punctured a hole in the top midsection of one side using a small pealing knife. Ayla stated that it was to small to use as defense but we should carry it anyway. Her reason: It didn’t take up much space anyway.
“Just wrap it up with some of this plastic wrap so it doesn’t cut anything.” I warned.

“I know, I know.” Ayla whined.
“Just making sure.” I replied.
We then acquired the rope which was lying in a toolbox. We slipped an end through the hole we made and tied it tightly.
“There,” I said, pulling the ends, “what is our next destination.”
“I don’t know, but there should be a map of some sort in here.” Ayla said.
And she was right. She pulled a white piece of paper as if from nowhere. It was labeled plainly: MAP.
We found our position and marked it with a circle. We then marked the nearest exit with a ‘X’. It was roughly a half an hour walk. Assuming no problems of course. Problems…. the word repeated itself in my head.
It still haunts me what we did. We shouldn’t have been messing around with that sort of thing. Poor Ted. He was the first to be attacked. His screams still echo in my head. The raptor had jumped at him, knocking him down. It began shredding at his stomach with its hind claws. To me, it looked like a cat in a litter box, covering up its newly made waste. I tried to ignore the warm blood splattering everywhere. After the screams ceased the animal locked its eyes on me. I was defenseless. I was in a rolling chair for Christ’s’ sake. The beast slowly stepped toward me, mockingly almost. One step, then another … then another. Suddenly it stopped. It bent down, to a crouch. The last thing I remembered is the horrible monster leaping at me while I said, “oh, lord”. The raptor knocked me off my chair and it rolled away. Instantly I felt searing pain all over. I prayed to God to keep my family safe. I shut my eyes and waited for the sleep to take over. Then the alarms went off, shattering my ears. The drooling mouth flashed red. I felt lighter … then everything went black.
I shook my head furiously, washing the memories away, and looked at Ayla. Her face was reassurance.
There was a loud ringing in my ears and a off-white chunk feel by my feet. I turned quickly to Ayla, scared half to death. She was holding a pistol, different from the one I had found. It was a Magnum.
Ayla’s hair was standing up, “I guess it isloaded,” She said, more to herself than me.
My mouth was still agape from shock.
“Sorry.” she said and waved a hand in front of my face.
“Where … did you find that?” I asked, grabbing her hand.
“In his tiny desk drawer. I guess he was a disgruntled worker.” She cracked a smile.
“I guess.” I said irritably.
I motioned my hand forward and we started out the door. I grabbed the gun from her and checked it. It was full too, or was full, it had 5 bullets left. I handed it back to her and she kept it safely at her side. I was holding the rope to the box, which was merrily dragging along. We got halfway down the hall when we saw another shadow creeping down the hall.
“Get ready…” I whispered.

We sought out the shadow that upon having its head in our direction crept to the right passage and out of sight. We knew it had not gone far for we still smelled its foul odor about us. We just stood dumbfounded and frozen in our positions. With the state that I was taking a step and being that my right leg was in front of me, I was pained. I dare not lay my foot, which had already had its partners on the ground below set up a landing strip, on the floor.
So there I stood, or in mid-step I should say, looking like a robber tip-toeing though a house. Ayla, being lucky, had saw the beast which both feet on ground.
The atrocity then made a horrible noise. One that cannot be defined clearly but sounded much like a walrus with a snakes tongue. It was then accompanied by two other wails.

The raptors seemed to be chattering amongst themselves beyond our view. The sounds continued for about a minute until one of the raptors poked its head around the corner. Its eyes shifted within the leathery skull. Then a rainstorm appeared in an isolated area around the head. It was raining … red. Puzzled, I examined it closer and noticed a hole in the upper snout. I looked over at Ayla and she had her arms stretched outward gun in hand.
She had shot it.
The animal didn’t die, but startled its head back around the corner. Three raptors then ran to the other side of the hall. I saw a stripe on one of the raptors faces. It was the one we had seen before. They continued down the hall until their footsteps were inaudible.
“Where did you learn to shoot like that?” I exclaimed
“I didn’t, it was just luck.” She gave a wry smile.
We went down the hall a little bit, looking in the direction of where the raptors ran when we passed that crossway. Like little children, we walked faster until we the other hallway was out of view. Then continued down our path.

If this is your first......then it should be your last!!! :hmph: (j/k) :p

Back