New Keyboard! (Steelseries 6G V2)

Rasmusmm

Headcrab
Reaction score
So, i need a new Keyboard (damn you soda cans!) and im looking at the Steelseries 6G V2. People who have this, do you have any pros and/or cons? It will be used for different gaming genres, but not MMO's.

Thank you!

Well it doesn't have a windows key on the left.

I've actually gotten used to using the windows key for things.
Win + e
......+ r
......+ d

Well I only had to hold it down. Timing was not an issue for a veteran.

That still takes longer, I think.

I'm gonna need documented stats and a screen recording of at least 25 trial runs from you.

It actually didn't make any difference in timing. But it made us talk about this in a derailing fashion so all is well.

As far as keyboards go, I'm content as long as the keys aren't ridiculous sizes. I've heard things about response time but I don't really buy it, guess I'll have to experience it much like I did with gaming mice.

Scratch what I said about the Corsair. Apparently their line is plagued with firmware and software issues.

Now I'm deciding between a Das, a Filco, and the Rosewill.

That looks nice, Krynn. What's the estimated street price?

Rosewill's out. Bad PCB and cable design.

Now it's between Das and Filco. Gonna wait a week or two to see if my local store has a sale on the Filcos. If not, I'll settle for the Das.

Will keep you guys updated if anything changes in the race.

Why would you pay that much for a keyboard? Does it give free head?

Why would you pay that much for a keyboard? Does it give free head?
It does, yes. And also you pay that much because its the only keyboard you'll ever need in your entire life. Mechanical keyboards survive 50 million keypresses at least. Also they're way nicer in general.

I haven't had any keyboard stop working on me, so I don't know how you would even break one short of hitting it with a brick. The most annoying thing to me is the sound. I'm not the most silent of typers but after listening to a youtube vid, god damn.

Not all mechanical keyboards are loud.

Half the benefit of buying mechanical is that the key action is specified. There are specifics kinds of switches that you pick based on your preference. It's not just buying a keyboard from a brand you trust and coping with whatever the action happens to feel like when you get it.

Plus, mechanical keyboards in general feel better than normal keyboards from the start, regardless of what switch type you get.

Membrane keys will wear. My own completely unsupported hypothesis is that since membranes/rubber wear out slowly, it's gradual enough that people don't notice it, but get habituated to their crappiness. Then they buy a new membrane keyboard for whatever reason and it feels amazing/new/omgbestever. Cue 5 star newegg reviews. What they don't realise is they're just going back to how their first keyboard started out.

Generally, the way membranes go bad is they get stiffer and unresponsive on oft-used keys. E.g. double tapping to get one keypress in. My keyboard at work does this. I basically bash each key in like a whack a mole to ensure it registers what I type. Membrane keys don't "break," like suddenly the key just falls out.

Another thing--these Cherry switches we keep going on about only need 2mm of actuation to register. So a lot of the "loudness" you hear about is people pressing the key all the way down into the base, thus doing a full and loud actuation (overkill). You can actually type on these keyboards without pressing the keys all the way.

This post paid for by the Unicomp corporation of America.

I've dealt with crap keyboards in computer labs, but the one I'm using right now I've had for about 8 years. The one problem with it is worn out letters from all the gaming I've done. I haven't had to press anything harder than usual ever. I understand that you may have had different experiences, but I'm just having a hard time believing that $130 of spending is called for. Surely there are cheaper alternatives even in the so called mechanical keyboard market?

I got my current keyboard for $11 three years ago. I can't imagine what I'll do when it breaks/dies/i kill it

For a second I thought you meant a display like the G15 has.

I could ponder something like that, could be nice to play a game with no on screen HUD.

Went to the local computer retailer this morning, tried out a bunch of different keyboards.

-Razor Blackwidow w/ MX Blue: action feels good enough, although plastic is cheap and wobbles too much for my liking.

-Corsair K60/K90 w/ MX Red: No, no, no. I can see the appeal of MX Reds: they are truly a softer version of the Blacks. Too light for my tastes, though. Corsair's quality leaves much to be desired: the keys wobble and even rotate slightly, making the action even more chewy. Felt almost like a membrane keyboard.

-Filco Majestouch 2 w/ MX Black: Solid as ****, but stiff as hell. Very little key wobble, Costar stabilisers (shift keys, spacebar, etc) are as good as they say. Heavy base.

-Filco Majestouch 2 w/ MX Brown: Similar quality, however feels slightly less solid than the Blacks. Could be my imagination, but I swear the keys wobble slightly more with the Brown switches.

-Das Keyboard w/ MX Brown: Also solid. Some might prefer the laser etched lettering to the Filco's screen printed ones. Lighter baseplate than the Filco. Keys feel about the same. More aesthetically pleasing than the Filco, if you care about that.

-Mionix Zibal w/ MX Black: Same key feel as the Filco, however much cheaper design. Painted keys showed wearing on edges despite being out of the box.

-Cooler Master Storm Trigger w/ MX Brown: Was unable to test because the boxes were sealed. However, there was a plastic window letting one look in. Same painting issue as the Mionix.

My evaluation of the keys in general:

MX Black: You'd have to run with these for a while to get used to them. Very, very stiff. Feels more like a latch than a key. No feedback means no feedback: you're going to be bottoming out on these things all day.

MX Red: Good for lighter typists, in theory. Not my taste. There's only one keyboard manufactuer that makes good KBs with these (Ducky), and good luck trying to finding them. The cheaper gamer brands use them in almost everything, but they feel like junk with the cheaper keys and lower standards.

MX Blue: Clicky, for sure. Good feedback. Satisfying? Totally subjective. They feel exactly the same as the Browns, they're just noisier. After typing noisily for a couple of minutes I found it started to really get on my nerves. Between these and the Browns it's very subjective.

MX Brown: Clicky, give good feedback, light but not flimsy. Still give a click: it just isn't the high pitched ping like on the Blue. I suspected I would like these the best, and I was right.

What I bought: Das Keyboard w/ MX Brown.

It was a three-way fight between this, the Filco, and the Storm Trigger. Filco would have been my first choice, however it's $160 before tax at the store I went to, and they're the only retailer in Canada who sells them, so there was nothing I could pricematch it to. The Trigger was $120 before tax, the Das $124. I was considering the Storm, but I wasn't able to test it, and at the end of the day I decided the backlighting wasn't worth the drop in quality. So, in a sense, I "settled" with the Das.

I'll be using it at work all day, so I'll report on any issues or weirdnesses I encounter.

I'm not sure why I got Red.

I knew the whole time that I wanted tactile, I guess I forgot that red wasn't tactile and you reverse-snakecharmed me into getting it.

Other than the switch type, I really love the ducky, so I'm exchanging it for a Brown switch (with yellow leds)

Qwertyuiop
Asdfghjkl
Dasasdasddasdas

I distinctly remember your asking which switch I was planning on getting. It sounded like you were implying you'd go with whatever I was recommending. Why so reverse? In that case:

DEFINITELY KEEP THE REDS

I wish I knew of a local place that sold non-shit keyboards.

I distinctly remember your asking which switch I was planning on getting. It sounded like you were implying you'd go with whatever I was recommending.
Yes I wanted to get what you were recommending, which was Red at the time. You knew you wanted tactile switches and so did I so I'm not sure why you said you were thinking about Reds and I don't know why I agreed. Honestly don't know how it happened but it's fine anyway.

UPDATE! I.E. VIPER IS AN IDIOT

So it turns out that I'm a moron, as well as the sales guy I was talking to. I actually bought the Das with the Blue switches. I'm going to blame this on their packaging ("Das Professional Model S" with a giant S looking like it's the "Silent" (Brown) model). Despite showing him the box I was holding, as well as asking "Do you have any more Das in Blue," he told me no, based on the stock in the database.

So I have a Das w/ Blue. I did test this side-by-side with the Filco Brown (definitely Brown), and to me they sounded the same. The Das sounds a bit louder to me now that I'm not at work, but still, if they were comparable in the store, that basically means the Filcos are louder in general. Interesting.

Still pretty satisfied so far. I'll just have to see if the sound gets annoying at home.

Got my Ducky DK9008S with brown switches and yellow LED backlights... But let me tell you, the backlights look like ****ing gold, they're so awesome. Never seen anything with LEDs like this, I'm really happy with it. It looks way different than the stock pictures.

As for the switches themselves, they're great. Audible but not clicky clacky, just a nice muted sound. The tactileness is noticeably more subdued than with blue switches, but it's just enough to feel good typing on.

All in all, great keyboard and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

More pics here: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/po...s-no-stock-images.167370/page-40#post-3359553

qrste.jpg

Ok, ya'll have got me seriously thinking about these $160+ Ducky keyboards that I haven't heard of before. Especially since I see they have one with purple leds. It would go great with my purple icemat. I've been using a Microsoft Natural Pro for years that I love, but the left alt and numeric - stopped working. So I'm used to a split, ergonimic type. One thing that has become indespensible to me - a calculator key. It looks like the Ducky has one, is that correct?

I've looked for a replacement Natural Pro, but they are pretty much unavailable now. The 4000 I've used and is ok, thought about it and had a momentary lapse of reason thinking about an 8000 entertainment desktop with an added numeric keypad, or even a Luxeed...

WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I GET?

The ducky does have a calculator key, as well as My Computer, Email, and Internet.

Ok, ya'll have got me seriously thinking about these $160+ Ducky keyboards that I haven't heard of before. Especially since I see they have one with purple leds. It would go great with my purple icemat. I've been using a Microsoft Natural Pro for years that I love, but the left alt and numeric - stopped working. So I'm used to a split, ergonimic type. One thing that has become indespensible to me - a calculator key. It looks like the Ducky has one, is that correct?

I've looked for a replacement Natural Pro, but they are pretty much unavailable now. The 4000 I've used and is ok, thought about it and had a momentary lapse of reason thinking about an 8000 entertainment desktop with an added numeric keypad, or even a Luxeed...

WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I GET?
$160? http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=58

Unless you're not in America? You must be thinking of the overpriced Filcos (all Filcos coming into the US must go through the UK first, hence their magical $20 increase compared to other brands).

I just bought one. Purple led brown switch. tired of using onscreen keyboard.

Thing is, I haven't steadily used a regular keyboard in years. I've used Microsoft ergonomic ones.

Will have to retrain myself back to 115 wpm. wonder if mechanical can help me type even faster.

non black switches are for pansies. I am quite content breaking my fingers while typing and playing on my steelseries 6gv2

I agree, 6gv2 is an awesome keyboard, I've been using it for 3 months now. But damn, that Ducky from Viperidae is sexy!

Back