Nostalgia from Half Life (a survey)

JLeXIcH

Medic
Reaction score
I haven't played Half Life for two years, and now the time has come to refresh our memories from our favourite game. I still can't get rid of the chaotic Resonance Cascade in my head, so as the Ravenholm, the bridge with Lab Practicum music or the creepy radio (not actually a radio, it was an unplugged tv). And to this day, I'm still asking myself, how the heck did Valve record all those ambient sounds - a man being turned into a stalker: citadel_ambient_scream_loop1, hello dr_aconian_final! And tone_alley (which is also in Portal) is such a masterpiece of sound design. Half-Life and Portal wouldn't be the same for me if this didn't exist.

So, what are your memories and favourite moments from Half Life universe?

my favorite moments are the entire chapter surface tension in hl1 and highway 17 in hl2. to me i think hl1 is better because it's a lot more colorful then drab gray and the guns feel alot more powerful because of the sounds and you can gib dudes.

Ah... my favorite memories of Half-life would have to be whacking vortigaunts and headcrabs through the corridors of Black Mesa, jumping from platform to platform on Xen as vorts zap you from below, trying to run like hell from the portals created by Nihlanth but admitting defeat as you find yourself falling all the way down and forced to jump from platform to platform to jump through the portal and defeat that terrifying fetus baby monstrosity.

My favourite moment will always be the intro to HL1, from beginning to end.

I really loved the first 4 chapters of HL1.... but then... soldiers. I never thought they would get so annoying at times, I was suffering during Surface Tension.

By far the best part of HL2 is its intro, I think that I like it so much because I also really like Orwell's "1984". Another great moment is that bridge, the feeling of loneliness, fear, with a faint feeling of hope - the atmosphere is just killing me there. Also, Water Hazard. Why ? Because of that f**** sunset. How and why is it that this series has one of the most beautiful sunsets in gaming ? Is it symbolic ? Do these bright, warm colours symbolize hope ? I don't know, but it sure is pretty and I can replay that chapter just to admire it.

Last edited:
Started playing Black Mesa on hard. Man, I regret it now, because it's so f***ing hard, and I'm still trying to get through the black ops assasins. It seems to be like it's impossible even if you're high on caffeine. But still, I don't want to replay all the game again on easy just to finally get through it, because I'm getting bored heh... I'm really curious what Nihilanth looks like in Black Mesa with the new graphics!

Back