Orion Mod Interview

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Orion mod is a futuristic combat mod based on the orange box engine. After being in development for 10 years the first public beta will be out within the next 2 weeks. We sat down with mod leader Praz, to talk about how Orion has changed over the years, how he has managed to bring everything to together and what we can expect from team Orion for the future.[br]
Interview with Praz from Orion<hr size="3" noshade color="#ED761C"></strong>[br]
Hectic Glenn: Firstly, could you explain what kind of mod and gameplay players can expect from Orion?[br]Praz (Mod Leader): Orion is Sci-FI Multiplayer FPS. It is a fast-paced tactical shooter. Featuring objective-based game modes and an emphasis on team work. Focused gameplay with plans to improve visuals in 2010. We have features such as Jetpack aerial combat, sprinting, melee attacks, cloaking devices, and more![br]Glenn: From the old days, the mod seems to have changed a lot (including the name from Incoming: Source), what was the reason for the change, and has it improved what you have now?[br]Praz: Many years ago there was an "idea'. This "idea" is what would later become what Orion is today. However, we had rebuilt the game 3 times. One was from the port from GoldSRC to the Source engine. The next time was from that engine to the Orange Box engine (which created many problems). The game had become drastically different each time. What originally started out as a Halo inspired project had evolved into a game of its own. The only thing Halo anymore really is the type of world the game takes place in. The gameplay is MUCH different, which I think you'd agree to.[br]However, a lot of good things came from the port to the Orange Box. I was able to go back and re-design a lot of elements from the ground up. This included player movement (speed, limitations, capabilities, jetpacks, sprints, etc) and all of the weapon variables and completely re-do the way the weapons handled and felt. So that is something I am thankful for, as it helped make Orion a much better product when all is said and done.[br]
[br]Glenn: The mod looks stunning and we really enjoyed playing it. How much tweaking and balancing have you done so far from the playtests?[br]Praz: We?ve actually done quite a bit of work. We?ve modified over half of the weapons (yes, including the shotgun), fixed other aspects of the weapons such as tweaking iron sights, fixing the scopes, added new things such as the flag model, cloaking devices, and are currently adding jetpack particle effects. We?re very happy you thought the mod looked great, but we are very excited for next year as we are going through and revamping a lot of graphical effects and just more content in general.[br]Glenn: We noticed there were no vehicles or dinosaurs, where have they gone?[br]Praz: Long story short. We went through many versions of the game, the public can probably remember 2 forms of it. However, we rebuilt the game until we were happy. This ended up being a good thing as it allowed me to go back and re-work a lot of the gameplay mechanics and weapon functionality. This will also allow us to give that same amount of attention to both the Vehicles and Dinosaurs scheduled to launch with our 2nd (of 3) Content Updates in May of 2010.[br]Glenn: Since we've played you seem to have added MASSES of new content and gameplay mechanics. The Orion team seem to be working tirelessly, how many people are working on the mod and how are they able to turn-over content so quickly?[br]Praz: I think I speak for quite a few of us when I say that we cannot wait for December 11th to get a normal night of sleep for once. We?ve been pumping out content for the last 4-5 months like it?s no ones business. We have roughly above 20 developers on the team and the reason for the fast turn outs is because I am a tyrant and a dictator.[br]In all seriousness, it just became a very good game. The developers are all excited, I?ve kept them motivated (and chained to their computers) and we are extremely excited to play it with more people.[br]
[br]Glenn: Which new feature that you've added recently are you most excited about?[br]Praz: They're not THAT new anymore, but the jetpacks. Easily the jetpacks. It's a big tip of my hat to Tribes (1) and some good 'ol days of gaming. That's really what Orion is and I think a lot of people will notice this. Orion was heavily inspired by games I played during my child hood... games like: Tribes 1, Unreal Tournament ('99), Counter-Strike betas, Quake 2 Capture The Flag. It has a very retro feel and I think Tribes gamers will enjoy our jetpacks as well.[br]Glenn: The mod is a total conversion with several proposed game-modes. Could you explain how the 'vital' mode will work and what the first version will include?[br]Praz: We have three (3) planned Content Updates. When we say Content Updates, we mean releases as big as our first beta release. They'll be adding a significant amount of data to the game and our first one is planned around Christmas of this year (Winter 2009 Update).[br]The second Content Update (Spring 2010 Update) will unleash a huge amount of new features. Ranging from: Two new player classes, 10 new weapons, Dinosaurs, Drivable Vehicles and of course 'VITAL'.[br]'VITAL' is a dynamic and interactive game-mode. We have to build brand new maps for this game mode. The maps will be between 2-4x larger than the ones featured in 'Capture The Flag'. Each team has a large 'Home Base'. These 'Home Bases' provide various rooms and areas including:
  • [*]Mainframe / Server Rooms: This is the objective room. Both teams share the same objective. To destroy the generators and nearby rooms filled with computer servers and other back up power.
  • Garages: You'll find vehicles here. If vehicles are removed from the map or destroyed you'll find they respawn here as well.
  • Spawn Rooms: These areas provide units capable of respawning the player.
  • Armories: Filled with equipment, ammunition, health, armor and more.
So if you haven't guessed, the bases are quite large. Each map will also feature a various number of 'Outpost's (# is decided by map author) and these Outposts can provide you additional spawn locations, more ammo and health units available in these buildings and more. In order to gain access, you must hack it and make it your own. However, the enemy is able to disable it and restore it for themselves if you don't keep an eye on it.[br]The 'VITAL' maps will also be outfitted with dinosaurs. Players will have access to a variety of usable vehicles. There are more un-announced features of Content Update #2 (Spring 2010 Update) which will be revealed when we edge more towards the release date. 'VITAL' was originally scheduled to release in the first beta of Orion. However, nearly a year ago it was decided it was too much of a complex mode that might potentially scare off new players. We decided to go back to thinking board and decided to launch with 'Capture the Flag', a game-mode most gamers are very much familiar with and understand. This would allow them to figure out how the player can move, how the weapons work, and more. Then when they get comfortable we can introduce them to the new game-modes we have planned.[br]
[br]Glenn: What advice would you give to another mod teams to create a finished product like Orion after such a long time in development?[br]Praz: Well that's difficult. It took me a very long time to figure out exactly what needed to happen. I really did just teach myself as I went along, figured things out on my own. However, the BEST piece of advice I can give you is get your idea down on paper, organize it, and find some artists and create TONS of concept art before you do ANYTHING else. Get as many fleshed out designs, locations, and more. You can use this to sell your idea, to recruit new talent, to simply just show what you have in store for everyone. It is also great for reference when developing.[br]Glenn: You have a closed beta with FilePlanet next week, how can people get the mod and when will it be available to everyone?[br]Praz: We are extremely excited for our Closed Beta launch with FilePlanet. The closed beta lasts for one week: December 4th - December 11th. Everyone will be able to download Orion (Beta 1) everywhere on FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11TH, 2009.[br]
[br]Glenn: After you release, what do you see for the future and Orion?[br]Praz: After our first release of Orion we only have more work ahead of us. We have tentative dates for all 3 Content Updates.
  • The first Content Update, the 'Winter 2009' Update is scheduled to release THIS Christmas, December 25th, 2009.
  • The second Content Update (my personal favorite) is scheduled to release in May of 2010.
  • And then everywhere and in between will be patches, fixes, removing bugs and so forth.
[br]Glenn: Lastly, tell us what is in your pockets right now?[br]Praz: Two lighters, keys, and a pack of gum![br]Thanks to Praz for his time, find out more info on the Orion website.

This sounds awesome. I haven't been this excited about a mod for ages. They've just got to make sure they get a good player base now.

It sounds a bit like Tribes crossed with Planetside which can only be a good thing as they are two games that really influenced my love of FPSs.

Back