ORION Spreads Her Legs

DPrassel

Reaction score
ORION SPREADS HER LEGS

And opens up! We are pleased to announce that ORION: Source Beta is officially Open-Source! We have been talking about this behind doors for a little bit now and it is finally time. We are extremely humbled to how far we have come and without Valve, Source, the Source SDK and the release of the ORION: Source Multiplayer Beta - it wouldn't have been possible.

We would like to give back to the Source Modding Community. You may have noticed our Firearm's acquisition April Fools joke where they featured some of our old dinosaur content in the media - well now you can do the same.

WHAT IS INCLUDED?
  • Game Models
    Game Materials
    Source Code (05/2009)

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE ASSETS?
Take a look below:

ORION: SOURCE MULTIPLAYER BETA TRAILER
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUIJQXYcsQg[/youtube]

DOWNLOAD NOW

ModDB:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/orion/downloads/orion-open-source

Parker's Global Downloads: (Global, 1,000mbit, automatically uses closet server)
http://parkersamp.com/2011/04/orion-source-open-source-multiplayer-beta-v1-0/

SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN EXACTLY?
This means that you have full permission to rip apart, take, use, improve any piece of content that was part of the ORION: Source Multiplayer Beta. This includes materials, models, using the source code - everything.

ABOUT THE SOURCE CODE:
Sadly, we need to make a few disclaimers. First and most importantly - the Source Code. I unfortunately had a hard drive crap out in late 2009. This means that the Source Code included is the source code from roughly 5-6 months before the first public release. So much of it is dated and will probably appear broken, however, after much discussion we figured that someone out there may find some use from it - so we included it anyways.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:
There is of course bound to be a few glitches here and there. There also may be some missing content. If we stumble upon any additional assets or materials or source code elements, we will make an update and release it. Let us know any problems you may encounter.

This is a (for the most part) un-organized collection of the files. You talented folk will be responsible for decompiling and reconstruction of the files. This is simply our permission to use it in your mods and products - those of which have no financial gain.

HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any questions or need help with any of the content, we ask that you refer all questions to:
<put link here>

USE RIGHTS:
This content is made available for free to all fellow Modders. We hope you enjoy!
[/quote]

Oh, wow! ANOTHER Source multiplayer-only game? I haven't seen 12 of those already!

Oh hey isn't this the game where the lead dev ****ed over his employees?

Oh hey isn't this the game where the lead dev ****ed over his employees?

No, this is the game where a handful of disgruntled employees tried to establish that he did. Not only was all of it simply not true, it (should have been) impossible to even believe that taking $16,000 for over 10 years of research and development AND firing "an entire development team" that was responsible not only for the already established content, but also responsible for all the additional content. It simply doesn't even make sense.

Further more, it was addressed over at this thread:
http://spiralforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1677

On top of that, Daniel, the original creator of the Polycount thread that "started" all of this, has said this:

"To anyone who has read the thread I created on PolyCount or the several others that have been created off of it.
Reddit etc. Me and Spiral Games have reached a mutually beneficial solution.

Id like to also say that by no means did i intend for that thread to get out of hand like it rapidly did. Everything between Spiral Games and myself is settled."

It's like CoD and Halo: Reach had a baby and this is their deformed offspring!

Not to discredit your work or anything. I'll reserve judgement until I've actually played it, but that's just the feeling I got from watching the trailer.

Oh my bad then.
Resuming my interest for this.

Dinosaurs and jetpacks.

Make sure to read the original post.

As a matter of fact, I did. It's a mystery to me as to why I'm supposed to be impressed by anything about Orion. It looks and plays exactly like NeoTokyo, which is a bastardized version of CS:S and TF2.

Also, their camera work in that trailer is shit.

Am I missing something? This thread has an awfully negative vibe in response to somebody making a mod open source. When somebody puts up a sign and it says free oranges, you don't see people coming over and telling him his orange isn't ripe and grabbing the orange and throwing it at the nice guy. I mean what the hell, this stuff was a lot of work for some people. So even if it doesn't tickle your fancy, have the decency not to throw his oranges at him.

Am I missing something? This thread has an awfully negative vibe in response to somebody making a mod open source. When somebody puts up a sign and it says free oranges, you don't see people coming over and telling him his orange isn't ripe and grabbing the orange and throwing it at the nice guy. I mean what the hell, this stuff was a lot of work for some people. So even if it doesn't tickle your fancy, have the decency not to throw his oranges at him.

Take a gander at any thread in these here mod sections. Negative vibe is an understatement.

Back