Racism snuck into healthcare bill

Ridge

Reaction score
http://cfnews13.com/Education/Educa..._loan_boost_passes_with_health_care_bill.html

Uninsured Americans were not the only ones to benefit from legislation passed Sunday night in a historically controversial vote on health care.

The U.S. House also passed a broad reorganization of college aid that increases grants for millions of students.

Passage moves President Barack Obama closer to winning yet another of his top domestic policies.

The bill, which passed on a vote of 220–211, eliminates a student loan program that relies on private financial institutions, and switches to direct government lending. The savings would pay for $36 billion in Pell Grants.

The bill also provides more than $4 billion to historically black colleges, including Bethune-Cookman University. Community colleges would also receive a share of the money.

The legislation was paired with the expedited health care bill, a marriage of convenience that helped the prospects of each measure.

The Senate will take up the measure this week.

Remember, it's not racism if you aren't white.

Historically black colleges? What does that mean?

Is that just colleges with a Black majority? If so, why is it racist that they get funding like any other colleges?

Historically black colleges? What does that mean?

Is that just colleges with a Black majority? If so, why is it racist that they get funding like any other colleges?

They get that extra funding ON TOP of the funding that they and all other colleges get.

They get that extra funding ON TOP of the funding that they and all other colleges get.
Maybe they need it more becuase they're students are generally poorer than other colleges. Which would make sense, becuase black people are on average poorer.

I really don't think it's racism, you should be a lot more careful with that word. Especially as a privileged white male who's never suffered it in the way the black community have.

I've suffered just as much as the people in my age group attending those colleges.

I really don't think it's racism, you should be a lot more careful with that word. Especially as a privileged white male who's never suffered it in the way the black community have.

Don't bother, it seems people like throwing out the word racism for every single little thing that is mentioned about race.

Fail title is fail.

Pretty much what Solaris said. It's entirely possible that statistically, black students come from families with lower incomes and require larger or more frequent student loans.

It's pretty disgusting to be honest when you think about it.

Here's some funding which is helping some of the most disadvantaged kids in America get an education and escape poverty. Kids who if it wasn't for the racism of out ancestors may not have been born into poverty becuase of the colour of their skin. And he says it racist to help them out?

**** that. It's disgusting that black people in the USA are so much more likely to be illiterate, involved in crime, impoverished. Granted individuals do hold responsibility to improve themselves, but here is a program designed to help them do just that and you condemn it as racist.

I think we all know where the racism is here and I think it's to do with a certain white man wishing the black kids would stay in the ghetto, where no doubt he thinks they belong.

Wow, dont go and commit suicide over all that white guilt.

If we had not transported them over for slaves, they would still be in Africa.

The reason they are more likely to be illiterate, impoverished, or involved in crime is because of their unwillingness to stand up and try to make their lives better, instead, of complaining about the establishment holding them back. If all of humanity had that lack of motivation, we probably would not have figured out the wheel or fire, ffs.

I am all for social mingling and integration. Dont you dare call me a ****ing racist and saying I wished they all lived in ghettos. The last couple generations have had just as much an equal chance at success as all the others. It is their choice to continue to play the victim.

This statement amazes me.

The reason they are more likely to be illiterate, impoverished, or involved in crime is because of their unwillingness to stand up and try to make their lives better, instead, of complaining about the establishment holding them back. If all of humanity had that lack of motivation, we probably would not have figured out the wheel or fire, ffs.

Okay- first of all: **** this mindset. I hate it with all my heart. People who have it bad are not just automatically lazy you twit. Guess what- if society is designed so that is harder for your social group to go to good schools, go to college, get good jobs and if you were born and raised in the poor and crime-ridden parts of town- that actually makes it a lot harder to succeed in life. Not just due to lack of economic funds but from the culture which surrounds you. And you are aware that we are talking about people who are trying, right? Cause going to college counts as trying. This is designed to help those who try.

The last couple generations have had just as much an equal chance at success as all the others. It is their choice to continue to play the victim.

Again- **** this mindset and all who believe in it.

It's pretty disgusting to be honest when you think about it.

Here's some funding which is helping some of the most disadvantaged kids in America get an education and escape poverty. Kids who if it wasn't for the racism of out ancestors may not have been born into poverty becuase of the colour of their skin. And he says it racist to help them out?

**** that. It's disgusting that black people in the USA are so much more likely to be illiterate, involved in crime, impoverished. Granted individuals do hold responsibility to improve themselves, but here is a program designed to help them do just that and you condemn it as racist.

I think we all know where the racism is here and I think it's to do with a certain white man wishing the black kids would stay in the ghetto, where no doubt he thinks they belong.

You know what? **** you.

If you're going to try to do exactly this, then do it based on exactly what you're trying to bring out of it: INCOME. Don't try and sugar coat an issue because that's exactly what it is: RACISM. Guess what? There are poor white people trapped in crime. There are poor Mexican-Americans trapped in crime. There are poor Race X trapped in crime. To single out any one race because "lol they're the majority" is stupid, ignorant, and pisses me the **** off.

To clarify: I have no problem with extra funding for the disadvantaged. I have a problem with extra funding through something which is presumed to have a connection by the politically correct assholes in this society rather than addressing the problem directly.

He's a witch!

OH WAIT LOL U SEE WUT IS GOIN ON?

You know what? **** you.

If you're going to try to do exactly this, then do it based on exactly what you're trying to bring out of it: INCOME. Don't try and sugar coat an issue because that's exactly what it is: RACISM. Guess what? There are poor white people trapped in crime. There are poor Mexican-Americans trapped in crime. There are poor Race X trapped in crime. To single out any one race because "lol they're the majority" is stupid, ignorant, and pisses me the **** off.

To clarify: I have no problem with extra funding for the disadvantaged. I have a problem with extra funding through something which is presumed to have a connection by the politically correct assholes in this society rather than addressing the problem directly.

Oh hey guess what. Community Colleges get money too! So it's not just 'historically black schools' that get the money.

They are helping disadvantaged people regardless of race by targeting areas that need it most. If there are a lot of black people in that area, who gives a ****? It's still helping the poor.

@Ridge
Remember, I didn't bring the race card in here, you did. Don't want to get caught up in 'political correctness' or 'race X' bullshit? Don't go calling stuff racist like an idiot.

This thread was easy predict just looking at it on the forum index. Healthcare bill thread was full of Ridge Rage and it was only logical (or perhaps illogical) that he would follow with a objection in his own thread extracting the most absurd conclusion from something harmless.

The reason they are more likely to be illiterate, impoverished, or involved in crime is because of their unwillingness to stand up and try to make their lives better, instead, of complaining about the establishment holding them back.
Yeah you're right, it's been an equal playing field....
Oh my, perhaps not.

You need to drop that them and us stance too, it's ridiculous. There are black people living in the US whose families have been there for several generations. They are as American as you are. Once you get over your evident stigmas...we can talk about the healthcare bill.

I get my own term with the mods, coolio.

What was "us vs them" about my statement?

I spoke historical fact. They were brought over originally for a form of cheap slave labor.

It is quite unlikely that they would have moved to such vast portions of the globe, were it not for European arrival and taking them...

And thus Ridge's credibility completely evaporates. Was a long time coming, and im glad I can now not feel guilty about calling you a moron.

You are a moron.

A quick history lesson!

Whites: Enjoy your freedom in this new land of America!
Blacks: Yay!
Whites: Freedom to do as we say, or we'll kill you!
Blacks: Ya- aw :(
<many years later...>
Whites: You can vote now, and get jobs and stuff. Do it.
Blacks: Yay!
Whites: But a lot of us still don't like you, and we're going to give jobs you applied for to friendly white folk.
Blacks: I can't get a job...
Whites: Maybe you should try harder.
Blacks: I went to college, can I have a job now?
Whites: I like my white friend better. Try harder.

And thus Ridge's credibility completely evaporates. Was a long time coming, and im glad I can now not feel guilty about calling you a moron.

You are a moron.

Why have I lost credibility? Because I refuse to cry myself to sleep over the actions of my ancestors?

BTW, I'm 3rd generation Irish immigrants.

This statement amazes me.

Okay- first of all: **** this mindset. I hate it with all my heart. People who have it bad are not just automatically lazy you twit. Guess what- if society is designed so that is harder for your social group to go to good schools, go to college, get good jobs and if you were born and raised in the poor and crime-ridden parts of town- that actually makes it a lot harder to succeed in life. Not just due to lack of economic funds but from the culture which surrounds you. And you are aware that we are talking about people who are trying, right? Cause going to college counts as trying. This is designed to help those who try.

Again- **** this mindset and all who believe in it.

wtf do you know you live in ****ing Sweden.

I think a Swede having a say in the spread of racism has more right and purpose than a Canadian or Brit having a say in American politics...

I think a Swede having a say in the spread of racism has more right and purpose than a Canadian or Brit having a say in American politics...
If you don't want your idea's exposed to criticisms, perhaps leave them in the Tea Party halls where they belong :cheers:

So what about historically Asian or Hispanic colleges? I'm sure there are at least a few.

So what about historically Asian or Hispanic colleges? I'm sure there are at least a few.
If you're calling this action racist, the burden of proof is upon you to demonstrate these universities exist, and 'historically black' universities get preference over them becuase they have black people in them.

For an example; the organization NAACP

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

They only help blacks. Latinos are colored. As are Asians. They are left out on that.

Hell, historically, Chinese were treated very harshly by 19th century America. They dont complain about it. They dont live in squallor or ghettos in US cities. Why? Because they apply themselves. They make an active effort to improve their lifestyles.

White people have melanin too. You're not one of them self-subjugating whiteys, are you?

Also, the Chinese victims of the system are probably very deeply rooted in the honour culture present in most Asian societies. To complain would be a sign of weakness and dishonour on both them and their family, so they blindly try to work hard and keep quiet. It tends to work better in non-American cultures.

Ya, we brought them over for their own good. Thank god they didn't get left in Africa with their families.

Here's what you need to understand Ridge. White slave traders literally destroyed the integrity of a race by enslaving them and perturbing their societal progression. The end of slavery in no way ended the stigma given to blacks by their fellow countrymen. Is it really so surprising that a race of people who were enslaved, tortured, mutilated, etc would encounter a speed bump in terms of economic and financial progression?

The last couple generations have had just as much an equal chance at success as all the others. It is their choice to continue to play the victim.

An equal chance? Really?

Really?

:LOL:

I shouldn't even dignify that with a response, but by the the same token had Africa not been completely ****ed by the slave trade and imperialism, it might be better off today.

Ya, we brought them over for their own good. Thank god they didn't get left in Africa with their families.

And when did I say that?

Here's what you need to understand Ridge. White slave traders literally destroyed the integrity of a race by enslaving them and perturbing their societal progression. The end of slavery in no way ended the stigma given to blacks by their fellow countrymen. Is it really so surprising that a race of people who were enslaved, tortured, mutilated, etc would encounter a speed bump in terms of economic and financial progression?

Nice theory there. There is no stigma laid upon them by other Americans for one time being slaves. If anything, the vast majority of what I'll call non-minorities for this argument (includes latinos, asians, europeans) are scared to death of offending blacks, for fear Reverends Jackson and Sharpton will be so far up their asses that when one of them spits, it comes out the offendor's mouth. In fact, those two are part of the primary reason these people act as they do. Sharpton and Jackson continue to tell these people they are being mistreated, hated and so on and so forth, without there actually being any animosity held towards them.

If people lived in racial equality and happiness, then those media whores would have nothing to do that could get them on everybody's televisions.

An equal chance? Really?

Really?

:LOL:

Absolutely. Please prove me wrong. With facts.

I shouldn't even dignify that with a response, but by the the same token had Africa not been completely ****ed by the slave trade and imperialism, it might be better off today.

I absolutely believe it would be a better place had the Americans and British and French and Spaniards not set foot there.

Article said:
The bill also provides more than $4 billion to historically black colleges, including Bethune-Cookman University. Community colleges would also receive a share of the money.

Oh no! $4 billion to help historically black colleges! That's racist! It's almost as if $45 billion of stimulus money wasn't spent on education for historically white schools and colleges in 2009! What's that? What's an historically white school, colleges or universities in the U.S? Why, that would be the vast majority of schools, colleges and universities in the U.S..

Think about it Ridge, black people have only had the right to vote since 1967. They've only been able to secure equal pay jobs since the 80's because systemic discrimination in the workplace and they still don't have equal exposure to the higher education standards due to class privilege and having to work their way up from the underclass.

If you can honestly say that black people (who still have trouble securing jobs and houses in white neighbourhoods because of how their name sounds) have an equal opportunity succeed in a country where a black man may be president, but is still regarded by almost a third of said country as not being an actual citizen of said country, then you have neither common sense nor even the most simple deductive logic an adult could have.

We're going in circles here.

And again, blacks have more freedom to offend than any other race.

Think of the uproar if there was a National Associate for the Advancement of White People.

Or a Mexican History Month.

Or high gang activity at a George Washington Carver High School, always located on John Fitzgerald Kennedy Boulevard.

Or if all of U2's music was about doing illegal drugs, hanging out with hookers, and shooting Interpol officers...

I see the problem here. Ridge got racism mixed up with communism, because we all know that health reform leads to communism.

Think of the uproar
if all of U2's music was about doing illegal drugs, hanging out with hookers, and shooting Interpol officers...

I'd listen to that. Because U2 sucks.

Also I love your totally misguided and slightly senseless opinions, keep churnin' 'em out.

There is a Hispanic Heritage Month.

Perhaps in California, but you guys are more hispanic than not...

I see the problem here. Ridge got racism mixed up with communism, because we all know that health reform leads to communism.

No argument, eh? Resorting to personal attacks? Another chapter out of the progressive argument book...and yes. I see the irony in this post.

...aaaand... what? We don't have poor people? Or we don't have immigrants? And even if we didn't, I'm disallowed from having an opinion on either subject? We don't have healthcare debates either- we're pretty satisfied with what we got- am I barred from participating in those, too?

Didnt you know, Rimmer? Opposing views and free thought are outlawed. They will tell us our opinions when they are good and ready.

Back