Rainbow 6: Patriots

Kakashi

Spy
Reaction score

Just saw the reveal video the other day and haven't seen any talk about the game yet. This is only the prototype video.

Rainbow 6: Patriots is to be released on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC in 2013.

I could not have been more bored by that. Press X to Love, Press X to Not Explode, shoot cops for mature nuanced morality decision, kill civilian for mature nuanced morality decision.

Graphics are nice though, for a pre-render. [edit] And the terrorists actually seem to make sense.

That looks god damned awful not to mention that that isn't Rainbow Six at all.

What are you talking about, it looks great. I want to push buttons and make the magic happen.

I swear to Gabe that the guy in the van that says "We're not gonna make it in time" sounds exactly like Adam Jensen to me.

Also, Rainbow Six meets Splinter Cell: Conviction?

I got the feeling of GRAW meets Conviction.

Which is to say I'm not impressed.

New Rainbow Six game.

Not Raven Shield 2. Not only not Raven Shield 2, but added batman-o-vision and press x not to die moments. I do believe I'll pass.

It also said "not actual gameplay footage" down the bottom of the video.

So if you don't press square... what do you do? :p

I know it's just there because it's early days (very early) but it doesn't look like fun to play really. There's some nice features like the guy shutting the taxi door as he walks past it etc (if that isn't scripted) but the "gameplay" looks boring as hell.

Meh. Bring the old Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear gameplay back.

'Prototype' gameplay my ass. It's their excuse for the game looking and being complete dogshit. Pass.

Edit: Just realized it was not actual gameplay. Doesn't matter. Ubisoft are a shit developer now anyway.

Not as shit as Activision anyway.

I gave it a bit of thought when I went for a walk and I think we can blame the success of Call of Duty and similiar "immersive" games for the abandonment of rich, complex gameplay with real challenge in favour of linear rail shooters touted as "cinematic" games.

This prototype sums up what's wrong with the franchise (and the FPS genre in general) nowadays. Pre-scripted, pre-defined paths the player cannot deviate from. What's wrong with mission planning? That was the core feature of Ye Olde Rainbou 6 games. Why is the ability to tackle an engagement how you see fit wrong? Imagine, instead of being railroaded into this scenario, setting up overwatch points with snipers yourself, deciding on insertion points and variants of attack, finally making high level decisions, using the "Prestige" or "Influence" resource to, say, force the mayor of New York to shutdown the entire GSM and GPRS network in the city to prevent detonation via cell phones. Such an action would cost a lot of points and prevent the player from, say, being able to use his influence and make Moscow Police isolate a district in the city to clear it of civilians and make a Rainbow raid easier to do, since no civilians would be present there.

No, instead we get railroaded into a story where Rainbow 6 is the lapdog of the American government, rather than the supranational counter-terrorist force it should be.

Holy God, I got goosebumps just thinking about that.

So much god damn potential with the R6 series and they're just wasting it away to cater to the casuals.

As casualized and dumbed down and not Rainbow Six as this is, I'll still buy it. I love the Rainbow Six games, even the less good Vegas titles. It's probably the only modern day shooter man game I'm looking forward too.

In b4 frosted is a ******.

As casualized and dumbed down and not Rainbow Six as this is, I'll still buy it. I love the Rainbow Six games, even the less good Vegas titles. It's probably the only modern day shooter man game I'm looking forward too.

In b4 frosted is a ******.
frosted is a ******.

Back