RELEASE: Gears - Steam Community for iPhone

DomMaiocchi

Reaction score
I am proud to announce the application I have been working hard on since September has now been released! Myself and many people have wanted an app like this so I decided to build one. I'm sure someone out there can appreciate the app as much as I do.

Gears is the first and only iPhone application to feature connectivity to The Steam Community. View anyone's profile, activity, and more with Gears!

Gotta say this is pretty sweet. But i unfortunately don't have 3 bucks on me =(. Oh well this looks nice.

This is looking to be a killer app. Just hope the price drops soon.

I was wondering when something like this would come out! Looks great!

Unfortunately I'm only charging to cover the price of the iMac and the iPhone developer license I bought. Once the price breaks even I'll adjust the price accordingly.

How does Valve feel about you profiting off of their Steam service?

How does Valve feel about you profiting off of their Steam service?

I'm not charging for their service, I'm charging to pay for several things.
  • Bandwidth for the application's server
  • Time spent working on this app (9 months)
  • iMac
  • iPhone developer's license

As the profit gets closer to breaking even, I will adjust the price accordingly.
I'm not doing anything illegal because all of the information is freely available at steamcommunity.com

Although you're profiting off of Valve's service, so that's a bit of a legal redzone.

I've tried contacting Valve with no response. If they have a problem with it, I'll be more than willing to work things out :)

Quite a good idea. I would have thought there would be no legal problems because as you said, it's all freely available, you're just letting people access it on their iPhones.
It's a shame there's no chat function, but since that would require certain Steam program functions, you've done extremely well. Congrats.

Quite a good idea. I would have thought there would be no legal problems because as you said, it's all freely available, you're just letting people access it on their iPhones.
It's a shame there's no chat function, but since that would require certain Steam program functions, you've done extremely well. Congrats.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your support!

Trust me guys, Apple makes you pay a ****ing shitload to make apps.
I'll be sure to buy this one, it looks pretty cool. Does it work for the iPod Touch too?
Meh, I'll find out right now.

editoo:
It's pretty nifty. Although it has no practical value besides spying on your friendlist all day, I'm sure I can use it to show off how many more games I have than my friends.
Overall, 4 stars.

Back