Release Imminent, thoughts, excitements, worries?

Reaction score
So now that the release of L4D is upon us, does anybody have any last minute questions, worries, gut feelings, etc?

I am scared of something....

How will I possibly rip myself away from this to go to bed for work tomorrow?

I was thinking "yeeeah, right after midnight" then remembered "f***ing decrypting shit"

Exams for a week starting tomorrow. My worries are **** I have exams for a week starting tomorrow.

Also **** I hope I can stop myself playing Left 4 Dead.

It's nice that they are releasing it at midnight eastern time, so all of us on the west coast get it at 9ish.

One last physics exam tomorrow and then non-stop zombie carnage for several days. Will be awesome.

I think I'll set aside an hour after release to play a movie through, I just hope I can pry myself away afterwards to study some more.

Nagging feeling the Server system is going to melt the internet, hopefully the Local Server option remains stable if thats the case.

I can't wait to play through more campaign areas and take a run in Versus as Infected... it looks so fun to do the Hunter wall-jumping.

I hope the campaigns are more creative than what we've seen in the demo.

I'm worried that loads of servers are going to be unbalanced with tweaks that ruin all the balancing work Valve has done. I don't want decreased respawn times. I don't want 700 Hordes before I've even left the apartment building at the start. I don't want to have the good weapons straight away. I want a grace period of at least a couple of months where people play the game as Valve intended.

It's bad enough that pretty much 60% of TF2 servers are instant respawn which has dulled my interest in the game somewhat.

i'm worried that loads of servers are going to be unbalanced with tweaks that ruin all the balancing work valve has done. I don't want decreased respawn times. I don't want 700 hordes before i've even left the apartment building at the start. I don't want to have the good weapons straight away. I want a grace period of at least a couple of months where people play the game as valve intended.

It's bad enough that pretty much 60% of tf2 servers are instant respawn which has dulled my interest in the game somewhat.

this!

This is less of an issue in L4D as you require less people to play, in TF2 you rely on 20+ people to be active for a considerable ammount of time in a server with vanilla settings, in L4D you are more often than not looking for empty servers to play on, so you have a wider choice.

Its also a more viable option in L4D to run a server locally, its not ideal, but its perfectly possible, I cant very well run a 24 man TF2 server off my rig, but a 4 player L4D server has proved fairly stable for me and those I play with.

Also the demo carried a considerable ammount of official servers in the US, Europe and somwhere else (wasnt to sure where, it may have been oceanic), they may not stay up forever, but we can hope,

I hope the campaigns are more creative than what we've seen in the demo.

In what way? More routes? Better map design?

I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far, I think this sort of game lends itself well to maps that are both linear in design but with lots of little short cuts (ie: lots of routes for infected to burst out of :D)

And as for my thoughts, It can't come sooner, i'm tired already, 3:20am, too old for this now :(

In what way? More routes? Better map design?

I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far, I think this sort of game lends itself well to maps that are both linear in design but with lots of little short cuts (ie: lots of routes for infected to burst out of :D)

And as for my thoughts, It can't come sooner, i'm tired already, 3:20am, too old for this now :(

Just seems there is such an opportunity for better scripted sequences. What we see now, at least in No Mercy (the only campaign I've yet played and beaten), is click butan, munsters apear. The minigun is fairly useless, too.

Back