Ring trilogy this weekend (Sci-fi channel UK)

The Dark Elf

Reaction score
Not the US remakes, but the original SCARY ones. Back to Back.. Really doesn't get better than that.

Would have posted this weeks ago but forgot all about it lol.

Anyway, anyone with sci-fi, watch them, its worth it.

---

FILM: Ring
Channel: SCI FI 102
Date: Saturday 6th November 2004
Time: 22:00 to 23:50 (starting in 4 days)
Duration: 1 hour and 50 minutes.
Cult Japanese horror in which an intrepid reporter investigates a mysterious video tape which grants its viewers a bizarre death one week after watching the grainy footage. Provocative silences and a controlled pace, rather than blood and gore, add up to one of the most creepy and original horrors of the 90s.
Director: Hideo Nakata
Starring: Nanako Matsushima, Mai Takano, Miki Nakatani, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hitomi Sato, Yuko Tukeuchi
(Subtitles, 1998, 4 Star)

---

FILM: The Ring 2
Time: 23:50 to 01:45 (starting in 4 days)
Duration: 1 hour and 55 minutes.
Sequel to the cult Japanese horror about a mysterious video tape that grants its viewers a grisly death one week after watching the grainy footage. The girlfriend of one of the original victims begins to investigate the deaths and soon becomes involved in her own ghostly web of horror.
Director: Hideo Nakata
Starring: Nanako Matsushima, Miki Nakatani, Hitomi Sato, Ben Daisuke, Hiroyuki Sanada, Kyoko Fukada
(Subtitles, 1999, 3 Star)

---

FILM: Ring 0
Date: Sunday 7th November 2004
Time: 01:45 to 03:40 (starting in 4 days)
Duration: 1 hour and 55 minutes.
Prequel to the cult Japanese horror which reveals exactly how Sadako became the vengeful murdering spirit that haunted so many people.
Director: Norio Tsuruta
Starring: Yuki Nakama, Takeshi Wakamatsu
(Subtitles, 1998, 2 Star)

---

I don't like subtitled movies but sounds good. I thought The Ring was a new idea of a film...obviously not.

Seen them all, but will probably watch again :), I saw Audition advertised as well, is that on too?

mortiz said:
Seen them all, but will probably watch again :), I saw Audition advertised as well, is that on too?
Yep Audition is on Friday night, so is Bangkok Dangerous.

Not sure if I'm gonna watch Audition though.. always thought it was a very creepy film, but the last time it was on, I'd fallen asleep, then woke up JUST at that moment the guy in the bag moves on the floor behind her.. the really creepy part made creepier from being half asleep.. so yeah, I might give it a miss cause it still gives me the chills lol.

Course the last time I watched Ring2 I was taping it at the time, and had fallen asleep only to wake up hours later and find the set top box had crashed, freezing the picture.. only it froze on part of _the video_ with the towel head guy pointing, with the video tape full of just that image, flickering, it was very disturbing to wake up seeing that pointing to the left (my direction) lol

I was surprised with Ring0 too.. didn't think it was all that scary until the bit near the end, when she comes around the doorway, I knew it was coming, but it still made me jump hehehe

---

FILM: Bangkok Dangerous
Date: Friday 5th November 2004
Time: 23:40 to 01:40 (starting in 2 days)
Duration: 2 hours.
Thriller about two contract killers plying their trade in the tough quarters of Bangkok. One, mute and deaf, shows no emotion as he causes carnage, but when he meets a young woman who works at the local pharmacy, he experiences human warmth for the first time and realises there may be life beyond the barrel of his gun.
Director: Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang
Starring: Pawalit Mongkolpisit, Premsinee Ratanasopha, Patharawarin Timkul
(2000, 3 Star)

---

FILM: Audition
Time: 01:40 to 03:50 (starting in 2 days)
Duration: 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Disturbing cult Japanese horror about a widower who is persuaded to find another wife by auditioning young women for the role. At first he is satisfied with his choice - a seemingly demure, quiet ex-ballerina - but an exploration of her past leads to some chilling discoveries and puts his - and his son's - life in danger.
Director: Takashi Miike
Starring: Ryo Ishibashi, Jun Kunimara, Eihi Shiina, Miyuki Matsuda, Renji Ishibashi
(Subtitles)

---

ooh and Bangkok Haunted.. I thought this was on but then couldn't find the listing, glad I didn't see things

FILM: Bangkok Haunted
Date: Monday 8th November 2004
Time: 00:20 to 02:50 (starting in 4 days)
Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Eerie thriller set in present day Bangkok. The owner of an antiques business starts hearing voices after discovering an old drum, which lead her to discover the shocking secrets of her own past.
Director: Pisuth Praesaeng, Oxide Pang
Starring: Pete Thong-Jeur, Pamote Pimsiree, Sangsom Pimsiree
(In Thai with English subtitles, 2001, 3 Star)

Alig said:
I don't like subtitled movies but sounds good. I thought The Ring was a new idea of a film...obviously not.
I didn't care for subtitle films neither at first, then I saw Ring one night (about a year before the US remade/ruined it) Didn't have a clue what the film was about, only that it was a horror.. Was a good week a so before I could stop checking behind me, had really scared the crap out of me.. So obviously I think the Ring movies are perfect now :D

The US version just is nowhere as good, the originals have far more atmosphere, and with or without subtitiles its easy to know whats going on.

Ring 1 was good, but Ring 2 got a bit stupid with all the pyschic stuff... I think I liked Ring: spiral better (the other other sequal), but only because I read the books as well.

Planeforger said:
Ring 1 was good, but Ring 2 got a bit stupid with all the pyschic stuff... I think I liked Ring: spiral better (the other other sequal), but only because I read the books as well.
Ring was amazing, Ring2 agreed, it did mess some bits up, but generally there were some really cool parts.. Ring0 was interesting for seeing how it all began, and the ending was scary.

Rasen was hmm ok I suppose, That and the others being more scientific, wasn't so much fun.. woulda been better if the US version had been based on that, would have fit the western fans better than throwing together Ring and Ring2 and screwing things up.

I actually found the remake scarier. The original was the better movie, and more spooky - but not as scary.

All the other movies (Ring 2 and Ring 0) are uber crappy :/

Warbie said:
I actually found the remake scarier. The original was the better movie, and more spooky - but not as scary.

All the other movies (Ring 2 and Ring 0) are uber crappy :/
The US remake of Ring was pretty neat with the way she came out of the TV, the whole video style look to it.

But the original stll looked better, the first time I saw that, seeing her crawling out of the TV, then that closeup of her eye.. the US one really ruined that bit. Original got it right, and it was the eye then that terrifyied me for so long.. which I then turned on you guys with my avatar ha! :p

I'm thinking about getting the original ring movies. I've never seen them before, but it seems worth it from what you guys say. The remake freaked me out, so I guess the original will scare me :)

The Dark Elf said:
The US remake of Ring was pretty neat with the way she came out of the TV, the whole video style look to it.

But the original stll looked better, the first time I saw that, seeing her crawling out of the TV, then that closeup of her eye.. the US one really ruined that bit. Original got it right, and it was the eye then that terrifyied me for so long.. which I then turned on you guys with my avatar ha! :p

Some bits of The Ring (us one) was creepy. Like near the end when she comes out of the TV properly and then a signal interference occurs :p and she judders forward towards the guy...that was scary.

Watch The Grudge if you love eyes :p I gotta admit that film is the scariest film i've seen in a looooong time. I don't know why but the little boy in Grudge is scary shit...i just know FEAR (the game) will have me terrified :eek:

Personally I'm not bothered at all by subtitle's, at least it's better than dubbing. Also there were tonnes of truely scary moments in Ringu first time I saw it such as when she climbs out of the T.V. and also when they're watching the Video/Analysing it at her work and the guy pauses it and turns around and you see Sadako look up and start moving. (I'm not sure if this is Ringu or Ringu 2)

Alig said:
Some bits of The Ring (us one) was creepy. Like near the end when she comes out of the TV properly and then a signal interference occurs :p and she judders forward towards the guy...that was scary.

Watch The Grudge if you love eyes :p I gotta admit that film is the scariest film i've seen in a looooong time. I don't know why but the little boy in Grudge is scary shit...i just know FEAR (the game) will have me terrified :eek:
Saw Ju-On (the original films) a while back.. not bothered to see the US remake yet. Prefer the originals to all these the US is remaking/spoiling. The original was far far scarier. Much more subtle for the japanese audience than the new version is. I find the Western horror needs to handhold viewers so they "get it" while the Eastern kind gets it right

And the ending to the other Ju-On movie was classic.. such a simple scene but insanely creepy with them standing there in the school yard like that.

Their gonna just do the whole lot until the style of horror is used up. :(

mortiz said:
Personally I'm not bothered at all by subtitle's, at least it's better than dubbing. Also there were tonnes of truely scary moments in Ringu first time I saw it such as when she climbs out of the T.V. and also when they're watching the Video/Analysing it at her work and the guy pauses it and turns around and you see Sadako look up and start moving. (I'm not sure if this is Ringu or Ringu 2)
Thats in Ring2, it was the girl who got interviewed where she saw the film, she died 7 days later, then he was watching the video and part of Sadako and part of the girl was imprinted on that tape, effectively creating a new original version.. The way her head starts shaking like that was dead creepy.

Great films :D:D:D

The Dark Elf said:
Saw Ju-On (the original films) a while back.. not bothered to see the US remake yet. Prefer the originals to all these the US is remaking/spoiling. The original was far far scarier. Much more subtle for the japanese audience than the new version is. I find the Western horror needs to handhold viewers so they "get it" while the Eastern kind gets it right

And the ending to the other Ju-On movie was classic.. such a simple scene but insanely creepy with them standing there in the school yard like that.

Their gonna just do the whole lot until the style of horror is used up. :(

Give the US version a go. Generally I agree - and dislike remakes ....... but in this case I found the new version scarier (not necessarily better)

(sometimes ppl rate movies purely because they're Japanese and others haven't heard of them. Some really shit movies have been hailed as great as a result *not talking about these movies btw :)*)

Warbie said:
Give the US version a go. Generally I agree - and dislike remakes ....... but in this case I found the new version scarier (not necessarily better)

(sometimes ppl rate movies purely because they're Japanese and others haven't heard of them. Some really shit movies have been hailed as great as a result *not talking about these movies btw :)*)
I rate a movie on if I actually like it or not.. don't care who's in it or the quality of FX, if I enjoy it its a good movie to me.

The Dead trilogy.. not great FX, very bright looking blood.. But my all time favorites.

I didn't mean anything by it. Also, I haven't seen the Dead Trilogy.

*adds it to 'must watch' list*

Warbie said:
I didn't mean anything by it. Also, I haven't seen the Dead Trilogy.

*adds it to 'must watch' list*
Brilliant films

The color remake of night of the living dead is definately worth watching aswell.. but avoid the special edition of the night of the living dead as the extra scenes actually spoil much of it. Though if your a die hard fan you might want to watch it to see the changes made

ARGH, I hate you. Just thinking about the Ring (only seen the first) is freaking me out... the air is getting cold and I keep hearing things...

Also, I want to see Ring 2. I heard it was hella scareh.

Bad^Hat said:
ARGH, I hate you. Just thinking about the Ring (only seen the first) is freaking me out... the air is getting cold and I keep hearing things...

Also, I want to see Ring 2. I heard it was hella scareh.
hehe two and a half hours to go, then its Ring Ring Ring until 4am lol

Back