Road trip!! (part 1)

Yeah. Sometimes it's not the fun, it's the challenge. :)

I don't think I could do with a "chilling on the beach" holiday for more than a couple of days. I've just been reading about this guy who - and he is quite possibly the only person to have ever done this - rode across northern Canada in midwinter!

He was cracking on some serious miles too. 200-400 miles a day in temps down below -60 at times and severe snowstorms, and he even rode across that ice road that only exists in winter. Utterly mental, but amazing. I know more than one person who's ended up with pneumonia just from riding in the British winter. He ended up being interviewed by the press everywhere he went, and I believe he has a book in the works now.

It's made me wonder about doing another Scottish trip in January/February sort of time...

Superb read, thanks. Makes me want to go up there again. Glad you got to see the Pass of Glen Coe... spectacular. The three mountains on the left of the road are the 3 Sisters - they were used as a backdrop in the film Highlander, as was Eilean Donan Castle (the big one with the bridge). Back in the mid 90s with a couple of friends we made Fort William the base camp for a Highlander pilgrimage, and visited all the locations in the film. :dork:

I totally agree that this is like being in a different world. The people are so different from the English; I think it is because we have evolved with a centuries old Imperial air of authority, and combine that with a mixture of self serving capitalism and jealousy for better and happier cultures, we now tend to regard everyone, including each other, with arrogant disdain. I say 'we', but am referring to the populous in general - I'm sure there is a growing percentage of dissenters like me in the ranks. First chance I get I'm outta here ;)

Looking forward to reading about the next leg of the trip.

btw, if you want a good read, try Ghost Rider by Neil Peart.

Superb read, thanks. Makes me want to go up there again. Glad you got to see the Pass of Glen Coe... spectacular. The three mountains on the left of the road are the 3 Sisters - they were used as a backdrop in the film Highlander, as was Eilean Donan Castle (the big one with the bridge). Back in the mid 90s with a couple of friends we made Fort William the base camp for a Highlander pilgrimage, and visited all the locations in the film. :dork:

That's pretty cool. Yes, that hotel we had dinner in (Kintail Lodge) was on the A87, just a few miles up the road from Eilean Donan Castle. The couple we got chatting to told us all about it, we then went past it but didn't stop 'cos we were in a bit of a rush to say the least.

I totally agree that this is like being in a different world. The people are so different from the English; I think it is because we have evolved with a centuries old Imperial air of authority, and combine that with a mixture of self serving capitalism and jealousy for better and happier cultures, we now tend to regard everyone, including each other, with arrogant disdain. I say 'we', but am referring to the populous in general - I'm sure there is a growing percentage of dissenters like me in the ranks. First chance I get I'm outta here ;)

I don't mind it down here, the people are nice and the climate is agreeable. Would never live in the south east again though (unless it was to make a lot of money very quickly and then **** off to travel). Having said that, West Country people can be very suspicious and cliquey. And I've picked up this awful, awful tendency to roll my r's. :(

Arrr, traccors.

It's so easy to meet people in Scotland though. It might just be because we were travelling on bikes and that makes people talk to you, but I think there's more to it than that. Who'd have thought Inverness would be a great place to go for a night out? It was though!

Looking forward to reading about the next leg of the trip.

Cheers. It might be a while...busy all this week and off to London for the weekend. See what I can do though. I tried to get rid of the "(part 1)" from the thread title but it won't let me edit it. :|

btw, if you want a good read, try Ghost Rider by Neil Peart.

Looks really good, thanks. In a similar vein, Jupiter's Travels is reportedly iconic.

Did you see that program lastnight, "On Thin Ice"? Preparing for a race to the south pole. Pretty amazing.

Nope, missed it. Sounds like my kinda prog though. oo-aaar.

Back